Evie

The connection you have between yourself and a pet is something that is hard to experience with anything else. Now being away from home at Penn State, while I miss my family, I am able to connect with them through texts or calls and keep them updated with my life. However, a pet is something that we are unable to connect with being away from home
because we have no way of communicating with them. Therefore, this particular blog is about my dog, Evie, because she is an important part of my life and something I am unable to have here at Penn State. IMG_9502
I’m sure you’re all familiar with pugs, the dogs with the smushed in faces that look like they ran into the wall. Yep! Thats the kind of dog I have. Even t
hough my family has only had her for about two years, its amazing the connection you are able to make with an animal. She is one of my favorite things about home because I think most pet owners can agree that they miss seeing their dog or cat, whatever it may be, run around all day and be happy. This is definitely something I miss having here at college because Evie is something I could always rely on to be there or hang out with no matter what. Honestly, she’s a pretty crazy dog, short and round and thinks she’s much bigger and scarier than she actually is. But these aspects give her personality and make her such a lovable creature to laugh about when she acciFullSizeRenderdentally runs into the wall because she is too excited or slips on the hard wood floor because she can’t stop chasing us around.
I never realized how important our pets really are to us until I was left without mine, but it also makes me realize just
how powerful and important animals are. They can do so many amazing things for humans, provide them with help or therapy, become a friend for them and so much more. I think this is why everyone here at Penn State is always so excited to see the dogs around campus because it is a little bit of a replacement for what we can’t have here and it is always nice to see them having a good time outside or helping people. It is great to see the importance animals have in so many people’s lives, mine included, and how they really are something we can’t live without. They are great relief when something goes wrong or you have nothing to do because they love to play or sit with someone just as much as you enjoy it too.

Therefore, one of my favorite things about home in Maryland is my dog because it is something I can’t have anywhere else and there is no other dog like her. While I can’t have her in college with me, she is something I look forward to seeing when I come back home because I know she will be there waiting.

3 thoughts on “Evie

1. I understand exactly how you feel. I am very independent and leaving for college has been a relatively easy adjustment for me but, I miss my animals a lot. You’re right when you say that there isn’t the same communication options when it comes to your animals, but, when I FaceTime my mom and I can see them, it makes it a little bit easier to not be with them.

2. Hannah,
    I’m in the same position as you. I left my yellow lab, Zoe, back home and I miss her a bunch. I agree that a pet is an important part of your family and life. I like seeing all the other dogs around campus too because they remind me of Zoe and it is a nice way to get my mind off school for a little while.
    -Missy

3. Hannah,
    I think a lot of students can relate to missing a pet back home. I had never quite connected with my dog as I think most others had. However, now that I am at college, I am surprised to find myself missing her. You made a good point when you said that the only type of communication with our pets is our physical presences. If only they could talk!
    Ellen