Georgetown and the Waterfront

One of the most charming and beautiful places in DC, in my opinion, is Georgetown. Located in Northwest Washington, DC, Georgetown is a historic neighborhood filled with many shops, restaurants and entertainment, definitely a must see if visiting DC.

Georgetown has been a important part of DC dating back all the way to the 1700’s, it was a place frequented by George Washington himself where he worked out various land deals to expand the United States Capital. Therefore, up until 1871, it was its own municipality much like Washington, DC until they were added together to  create one. It is also home to the C&O or Chesapeake and Ohio canal, constructed to link the Georgetown to Harper’s Ferry making it a destination for trade throughout the 1800’s until 1938 when it was sold to the National Park Services because it had been faced with severe flooding in the years prior. Since then the C&O canal is no longer used commercially, but the paths alongside it are popular running trails that provide a great view.

With my brother along the waterfront before graduation

Today, Georgetown is a popular destination for shopping, dining, entertainment and an enjoyable view outside. It is home to many boutiques, popular stores and a restaurants spanning across a wide range of cuisines. However, one of my personal favorites is the Georgetown Waterfront. Georgetown is situated on a hill with the shops and restaurants on all of the various and at the bottom it runs along the Potomac. The waterfront includes many nice restaurants as well as apartments and high class hotels. However, there is something for everyone along the waterfront. Whether you are looking for somewhere t
o go for a nice brunch or just a walk along the water there is something for everyone. Coincidentally I went there on one of my last days at home for a friends birthday, it is a great place to spend time with friends as well as enjoying the outdoors. It also holds some good memories because I was there with my family and friends before our graduation which took place at Constitution Hall in DC and therefore, Georgetown has special significance because it reminds me of good times on a special day with all of my friends.

Not only is it great to joy the water from the shore, but if you are feeling adventurous you can actually rent kayaks or paddle boards and use them along the Potomac River along Georgetown. This is a popular activity to do in the summer because people can have a good time outdoors with a great scenery. Also, many people will take their boats out along the water in the summertime as well. Finally, Georgetown is home to the famous Georgetown Cupcakes, a cute little cupcake shop started by two sisters that has now turned into a nationwide business. If you enjoy sweets, it is definitely somewhere you have to stop by if ever in Georgetown.

Overall, the neighborhood of Georgetown holds great historical significance as well as entertainment today. It is a beautiful part of DC that I definitely recommend going to if you are visiting, but it is also a great place that the locals love too because of the wide variety of activities, restaurants and shops it offers. Not to mention it is also home to Georgetown University, a great destination to visit at some point in your life!

Me and my friends at the waterfront, Kennedy Center is in the background.

One thought on “Georgetown and the Waterfront

1. Hannah,
    I went to Georgetown a couple years ago and loved visiting all the shops and Georgetown University. I think the town is really cute and offers so many fun activities so I can’t wait to go again. I also have never been to Georgetown Cupcakes, but I have always wanted to go and try one!
    Missy