Last day in Sweden

The last day in Sweden was amazing, I got to rent a bike and rode all over Djurgarden. I was only riding for around two hours, and then I got really tired because I biked so much. It was a great experience because I had the chance to explore much of the island. I saw animals in different parts of the island, and beautiful gardens. I even saw a couple boat docks, and different landscapes that were very different from other parts of the city. It was all very beautiful and I also got to visit the Vasa museum. It was the ship that sank over three hundred years ago in Stockholm’s harbor. It was interesting to learn that the boat was not engineered correctly, and for that time it was a very large boat. I learned some of the theories as to why the boat sank, and it is interesting as well that no one was held accountable for the sinking. Everyone on the boat all agreed that is was not engineered correctly and that it was no one’s fault. Around thirty men died on that ship, because they could not get out from the bottom cabin. Another thing I found very cool, is that all of the statues were preserved so well, while being submerged in water. Not only was that interesting but even some of the paint from the lions mouth was still there. Most of the paint from the wreckage was faded out and gone, but some of it was there. Attempts to try and recover the Vasa were made in the early 19th centuries but, it was never successful until 1961. Technology before that was not advanced enough for that type of mission. Today, they are trying to preserve the Vasa for as long as they can, because they know it will not be around for too long. They try to maintain it and keep the wood from rotting out, and keeping most of it intact by replacing wood nails with steel. It was very cool to see one of Sweden’s most remarkable pieces of history.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.