Brody and Josh Day 3

We had an early start to our day this morning with a bus trip to Volvo Headquarters. The local bus took us directly to our destination and we arrived there around 8:30 am. We were presented with name tags and met our hosts Linda Niklasson and Anna Glembring. Both women work in Volvo Group’s Human Resources Department. One highlight that I immediately found out was that there is a significant difference between Volvo and Volvo Group. While Volvo focuses on automobiles, Volvo Group constructs many other types of automation. Volvo Group manufactures construction equipment, buses, boat engines, planes.

After listening to various human resource speakers from Volvo Group, we took a lunch break at CampX. This newly created building opened two months prior to our arrival. It reminded me of the Penn State HUB building with the style of seating and layout of the tables. For lunch we had fish and potatoes. This meal was very exquisite and professionally prepared by the chefs.

After lunch at CampX, our group took a bus to the Volvo Museum. The museum provided a very detailed history of the Volvo company. From the blueprint of the first Volvo car to the intriguing concept car models, Volvo had a long history of popular cars and trucks. We even learned that Roger Moore, former James Bond actor, was highly involved in designing and driving Volvo cars.

After returning to our hotel from the Volvo Museum, we decided to explore the restaurant/fast food station across the street from the hotel. Here, we discovered a Swedish monument dedicated to the state of Delaware. The Swedish settlers lived in Delaware for 19 years until they were overruled and forced out of the territory. Today, an impressive monument stands by our hotel and is dedicated to the establishment of Swedish settlers in the United States. We were both amazed by how cool it was for Sweden to have a monument dedicated to a state in the United States, even though it was a very long time ago and many miles away.

This entry was posted in May 10, 2019. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Brody and Josh Day 3

1. Dennis G. Shea says:

Well, I had to look up this little bit of Swedish-American history:

http://colonialswedes.net/History/History.html

One thing I’ve always found about travel is that these little accidents remind you of all the different connections we have with people all across the world. After these experiences, it’s hard to think about almost any event in the world and think, “Oh, that has nothing to do with me”. I know when I vacation later this year in Delaware, I’ll be looking for Swedish linkages