September 28

RCL Blog

Speech Outline

1.  Introduction (00:45)
    1. You got some spare change?
    2. Context (exigence and audience and constraints of artifact)
      1. The modern governmental policy is what triggered this rise in homelessness and this is the situation this poster seeks to address by advertising to individual members of primarily cites who are more likely to sympathize with the message. That is why the medium of poster is chosen, so as to more closely target those who interact in public spaces such as streets or public transport instead of those of a higher class who tend to rely on cars to get around( even more so on the west coast where these advertisements are more directly targeted)
    3. Mode of analysis/criticism (from Keywords)
      1. Visual analysis
    4. Thesis (main claim regarding your artifact that body builds upon
      1. The poster evokes feelings of domination and humanity to advocate for a change in governmental policy.
    5. Preview main points
      1. Color theory, and evocative visual language
  2.  Body (2:30)
    1. a. MP #1
      1.  Link mode of analysis to thesis with a minor claim
        1. The poster plays on strong color usage in order to draw a comparison between the governmental policy that prioritizes the military industrial complex over the needs of the government’s own citizens.
      2.  Evidence that supports your claim building on overall thesis
        1. By using brighter colors to the top of the poster, the viewer’s eye is first drawn to the top of the image and then it slowly traces down, this guides the viewers to first experience the vastness of the military industrial complex and then immediately experience the contrast between the tanks and the tents
    2. MP #2
      1. i. Link mode of analysis to thesis with a minor claim
        1. The visual and written language in the piece amplifies this message by reinforcing and interpreting the main story that the poster itself provides
        1. The bold and simple messages are placed in order to guide the viewer’s experience of the poster efficiently and thoroughly.
        2. People in tents
      3.  Evidence
        1. The poster follows a very effective formula of pointing out there is a problem with the first sentence
        2. “Change the priorities”
        3. Then it efficiently provides a solution the audience of the poster can follow
  3. III. Conclusion (00:45)
    1. a. Restate thesis (main claim)
      1. By reflecting the complex political nature of the housing crisis in the US, the poster makes a cogent argument for a shift in political action
    2. b. Summarize salient points of body (evidence that builds the case for main claim)
      1. Through pairing a brilliant artwork with simple and effective speech, the poster makes an efficient argument.
September 21

PBL Blog 3

If the last post was going to be my most personal post, this will be my most passionate. In the modern day, the sport of NASCAR is dying, rightfully so, its repetitive and they have changed the format in a way that has alienated their core audience while not bringing in as many eyes as they would like. Modern racing stars like Bubba Wallace, Denny Hamlin, or Joey Legano are not household names anywhere but the deep south.

You know who is a household name? The one man most people think of when they think NASCAR? Dale Earnheardt. The Intimidator, the man who revolutionized racing for generations of drivers and fans.

If there is one race that the average person thinks of when they think of NASCAR, it’s the Daytona 500. These two legends will not get along, and at the end of this story on Feb 18th, 2001 Dale Earnheardt will die watching his greatest accomplishments right in front of him at the Daytona 500.

I tell you the ending first because it defined his story, even before most people knew his name, Dale knew he might die in a racecar. His dad sure did, Ralph Earnheardt, his father made his living driving a NASCAR before it was called that. Ralph didn’t want Dale in the car, he wanted him to have a cushy desk job in a big city somewhere, but that couldn’t have happened. Dale first drove a NASCAR at the old age of 12, when he secretly raced for his father and nearly won.

Dale was arguably the best to ever drive a NASCAR and to tell you about every success he ever had would be insane and arguably impossible to do in 500 words, so I won’t. Instead I will tell you the 3 most important things about Dale.

1. He drove the black number 3, this is the car he used for 20 years to terrorize any track he drove on, Dale was two things in that black number 3, he was fast and he was mean. If he couldn’t outdrive a car, which was a rare occurrence, he would put the car in front of him into the wall at 200 mph and drive off without so much as a scratch on his car.
  2. He owned his own team, this is something that only the most successful driver can do. Being able to own your own team means you can make money from the sport you love if you are fast, and it means burning 100,000s of thousands of dollars a year if you are slow. He was not only able to field 1 car but 2. This meant he could make even more decisions about races and it also meant..
  3. He gave his son and his best friend Michael Waltrip the two race seats his team had while he continued to race under the team he had been with for almost the entirety of his racing career.

I lied, I have a fourth thing to tell you. On February 18th, 2001 Dale Earnhardt crashed into the wall on the final turn of the final lap of the Daytona 500. He was in 3rd and he was defending the lead of Michael Waltrip in first and Dale Earnheardt Jr. in second.

Dale wasn’t just a driver, he was a symbol for a part of the world that died giving cheap labor to big factories owned by even larger corporations in forgotten towns. Dale Earnhardt was number 3 and I hope you get a little bit of what he meant to the world.

September 21

PBL Blog 2

When I got the idea of this blog I challenged myself to only talk about 3 athletes,because while there is something I find incredibly compelling about the stories we tell about athletes I understand that not everyone watches ESPN clips in their free time. I believe there is something incredibly beautiful about watching humans reach the pinnacle of their sport through a mixture of talent, effort, and luck. This isn’t that kind of story and Cory Sullivan isn’t one of those players but Corey Sullivan is one of my favorite athletes of all time. As far as his athletic career goes, I don’t believe I could ever make you the reader feel the way I do about him. He was an above average baseball player who first went to Wake Forest University before making his way to the MLB. His career was nothing to laugh at, drafted in the seventh round by the Colorado Rockies, he made his money as a part-time major leaguer who teams kept on the roster to call up as a talented back up over the course of 6 years across 4 teams. His two most notable athletic accomplishments were hitting 2 triples in one inning, something only 4 other players have ever done, and being on the NLCS champion Colorado Rockies team.

None of that is why I love Cory Sullivan. I love him because he chose to stay in Colorado after he hung up his cleats. I love him because he became an announcer for the Rockies. Most importantly, I love him because I grew up with him as my part-time little league coach. In his spare time he chose to coach the baseball team that his daughter’s school ran. Cory Sullivan cared about every kid he coached and made sure we could competently swing the bat at the tee we would hit from. Cory Sullivan didn’t transform my life but he showed me that athletics were not a pipe dream for me. He never told me to work until I dropped in practice or to constantly seek improvement. I’m certain he did those things himself but I was 8 so I get why he chose to not instill those virtues. Instead he taught me the one rule of sports, if sports get in the way of living, they aren’t worth doing.

I have had so many coaches preach to me technique, effort, and dedication, but Cory taught me something bigger than that. If you’re not happy doing it then it isn’t worth doing. I quit my burgeoning MLB career at 9 years old and chose to pursue other things like dinosaurs and video games before I found fencing, but every day I remember practice with coach Cory.

September 21

RCL Introduction

The answer to ending the modern day housing crisis is not simple, yet many advocates argue that there are effective and obvious steps that may bring the US closer to ending the crisis than many think. One of the largest tools used by modern political activists is the visual language that fills the internet and social media in the modern day. This has led to the creation of many different political posters which are deployed in the continued fight for public support of the unhoused community. Through understanding and comparing two of these posters, a better understanding of the strengths and flaws of the movement can be revealed. The first poster this essay will analyze uses an aggressive visual language to produce a feeling of discomfort that echoes the social discomfort and pain produced by the modern program of sweeping unhoused people. The second poster uses a warped visual focus to create a sense of infinite space that creates a powerful visual contrast between the modern unhoused community and the military industrial complex. The two political posters this essay will analyze advocate for separate policy approaches that when combined lay a groundwork for a cohesive approach to modern housing policy.

September 19

RCL blog 3- speech reactions

I really enjoyed Efies presentation on the medical symbol, I think the way she framed the piece as a contradictory symbol in the modern day was really intriguing. I think her understanding of the audience of the piece was really interesting and the lens of historical analysis that she will use for her essay will be really fruitful although in her initial presentation the exigence she presented was a little weak. I am really interested in her final speech, I think if she can nail down the historical context of her symbol she can really make a fantastic argument that will be really interesting to hear.

Johan did point out that her speech had a contradiction where she needed to talk about the historical origins of the piece rather than the modern interpretations that are relevant in the current day. I think this is going to be Efies biggest challenge to a strong presentation but a little historical research will quickly address this problem. I am really hopeful that I will get to learn about an interesting historical past for a common symbol that I really knew nothing about before today.

The other presentation I wanted to talk about was Amber’s presentation about the war on drugs. I think her artifact is a really compelling element for a successful speech that I am interested to hear about. Her understanding of the topic was really robust and I think she will make a very effective speech when she better nails down her exact audience that the artifact was targeted at. As soon as she does that I believe she will make a speech that captures the entire class.

September 11

RCL Blog 2(outline)

• Who owns the tents on the sidewalk? It may seem like a simple question but this complicated question of ownership is crucial to understanding the realities and questions that this artifact raises.
  • This piece was written as a part of the Western Regional Advocacy Project(WRAP), an organization dedicated to increasing houseless equality through political activism. This specific poster is designed to re-contextualize the rhetorical situation that is normally related to the sweep program.
  • This artifact specifically uses striking visuals to challenge the common narrative of the houseless community. I will use the visual lens to analyze this poster. It uses an emotionally potent visual language to force the audience to see the people inside of a tent that are normally seen as dangerous or violent as victims instead. At the same time it challenges the governmental perspective that houseless people are “easy targets” for police intervention through the usage of the spikes coating the tent. This seemingly contradictory visual language describes the catch-22 of living without a roof over your head
  • An analysis of this poster through the rhetorical situation that it is placed in will be the most fruitful as it will allow me to closely examine the contradictory nature of houselessness in the modern world. I plan on drawing on different statements that have been made in the political world to structure my arguments and expand the lens I will analyze this poster through.
  • Houseless people live in a world of rhetorical and societal violence. It proliferates their lives from the political world where stating that houseless people should be jailed for the crime of being a social inconvenience is seen as a legitimate policy solution to the social world where physical violence and even murder of houseless people is seen as a mild inconvenience. Have you seen this trend in your lives? Do you see any other avenues that would be fruitful for me to pursue in my paper? Thank you.
September 7

PBL Blog 1

Buckle up, and get your popcorn, because you are about to learn the story of my favorite monument to humanity, Larry Walters. The date is July 2nd 1982 in the backyard of Larry Walters girlfriend’s house in San Pedro, California and Larry Walters is about to do something that feels very illegal. It is not illegal which the FAA will later contest by saying “We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, some type of charge will be filed.” However, it is so incredibly dumb.

Larry Walters has 42 helium balloons and a lawn chair that cost him 110$ at Sears(which by the way is an unreasonable price for a lawn chair, that’s $344.88 dollars in today’s money).

Larry Walters has a container of helium and rope that has tied all 42 helium balloons to his lawn chair.

Larry Walters has a BB gun.

Larry Walters plan is to fly above California and slowly shoot the balloons above him to engage in a controlled descent.

It’s at this moment I would like to pause and ask the reader to treat Larry Walters as a Greek myth or a martyr for the cause of humanity. Many have tried to copy what Larry Walters is about to do and not many have succeeded.

Larry is accompanied by his girlfriend Carol Van Deusen and his friend Ron. He has somehow convinced Carol that this is a good idea but his friend Ron has the more appropriate reaction. At the last second Ron tries to convince both Larry and Carol that they should stop. Unfortunately, as Ron convinces Carol, the ballasts securing Larry break and he heads for the skies of California.

Larry will reach a height of 16,000 feet above sea level. At the same time 2 different passenger airlines will report an unauthorized aircraft. Larry is using the CB radio that he also had to communicate with amateur HAM radio groups and his girlfriend. He will only message to say that he is doing OK and that he misses Carol.

After 45 minutes of taking in the view that Larry will later say was the greatest he had ever seen. Larry uses the BB gun he has stowed on his chair to carefully shoot 7 balloons in order to descend before dropping the BB gun he has taken with him. Larry Walters hits a power line on his way down and causes a black out. When he is finally cut free by EMS he gives the chair he flew to a neighborhood kid and never sees it again.

I believe Larry Walters is one of the most interesting men to ever live, not because he accomplished the most or changed the world. Rather I believe Larry Walters taught us all to dream a little bigger that fateful day above California. Larry Walters brought some joy to the world that had never been there before and I think he deserves to be remembered for that.

September 7

RCL Blog 1

This artifact was released to the media as a quasi-internal piece of Subaru corporate messaging. This artifact heavily addresses the commonplaces of “happiness”, “sustainability” and “profit” by targeting a consumer desire for sustainability and attempting to find a way to profit off of this desire. The rhetorical situation this artifact was created in response to is a growing sense that the pursuit of consumer “happiness” is tied to a sense of sustainability and environmental responsibility. The growing idea of sustainability shifting from a moral desire that an individual should hold to a societal value or commonplace that can act as a market force is a crucial idea for understanding the relations of happiness and profit that the artifact describes.

The importance of the brand identity associated with this piece of messaging is also crucial in understanding the complete exigence of this written work. Subaru as a brand has always found itself generating profit through marketing to previously unaddressed market niches. For example, Subaru is still to this day known as a “lesbian car” because of its insistence in treating the LGBTQ+ community as a viable market demographic well before many other bands were willing to do the same. This method of producing a profit by shifting a corporate identity with the moral demands of consumers produces an interesting contrast with the majority of the auto market, which has instead elected to market against the growing awareness of the need for ecological sustainability. The mission laid out to address customer happiness by understanding and shifting with consumer desires is viable until a point but there is still an underlying deceit that Subaru must acknowledge, that until profit can directly take carbon emissions out of the air, consumer happiness and Subaru’s corporate profits are opposed to each other at the core.