October 19

TED Talk and Paradigm Shift

https://www.ted.com/talks/mia_birdsong_the_story_we_tell_about_poverty_isn_t_true

I chose this speech, it addresses the ideological shift she is arguing for: reframing the power of those who are in poverty. She begins by framing the ideology she is arguing against by referencing the audience in the TED talk. She then begins by personalizing her arguments to frame the argument in terms of people. These are the people she argues has changed her mind, which I like as a tool because it draws the audience into the argument. She uses the power-point to give faces to the names and stories that she draws upon, I like this but I feel like it could have used a bit more dynamic framing. She then goes on to assert her ability to argue this topic, she does this by framing her personal relationships in contexts that are not familiar to the reader. She also plays on wordplay often that I enjoy as well, such as “they are broke but not broken.” This argument then blossoms into a argument for the humanization of marginalized people. That lands effectively and evokes effective ethos and pathos to claim a moral perspective.

The topic I have chosen for the essay and speech is the evolution in perspective that Denver policing underwent that resulted in the creation of the STAR or Support Team Assisted Response program. I want to argue that the Black Lives Matter movement as well as the specific death of Elijah Miclane resulted in the shift of opinion in Denver city council to create this change. I think this topic could work because it is specific enough to be a manageable argument and publicized and old enough to have created large amounts of data that can be analyzed. I also want to be able to talk about the specific types of nature that Colorado experiences which create an exaggerated need for a response within the Colorado community. I think this idea will be really successful.

Posted October 19, 2023 by nvb5574 in category Uncategorized