Civic Life, as Explained by Schudson and Turkle.

I finally understand the definition of civic life.

There are many different concepts that surround the idea of one having a civic life and civic environment. First of all, the definition of a civic life is “the duties or activities of people in relation to their town or local area” (Ask.com). The main idea that jumped out at me through the Schudson passage was the idea that characteristics of civic life are handed down from generation to generation. However, the idea of what one must do to have a civic life changes as it is passed down. For example, the attitude of a father regarding his civic life might be different from the civic attitude of his son. Schudson further elevates his position by describing several characteristics  of civic life.

In Schudson’s passage there are four clear cut qualities of civic life. The first of these many qualities states that civic activities must become a part of everyday life. It should be naturally embedded in your life to complete civic activities, for one example, a civic activity is the Pledge of Allegiance. We started reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at a young age. at a time where we do not fully understand the words or pronounce the words correctly. The second quality is the establishment of being civic based on “what the public is called to attend to and what it is called to ignore.” In other words, we are shown by the media and the government that “these topics” are the focus of our attention. Commonalities in enterprise, work, prayer, or struggle is the third quality of becoming civic. The communal feeling brings everyone together and helps out those in need. The last requirement is the need for “staff, investment, and access”. There must be some sort of infrastructure. A clear example of an infrastructure. is the need for volunteers. Volunteers  help things move along and help make sure there is no confusion.

Regarding Schudson’s passage, I must state that I understand what it means to have a civic life. I also understand that the idea of civic life changes as time passes. I also understand that the requirements to what a civic life is reshaped as the idea of a civic life shifts.

Turkle’s article “The Flight From Conversation” illustrates a change of civic life. She has placed an emphasis on how technology has removed us from conversation and have gotten us closer to connection. She illustrates that we as people are becoming more attached to connection because it gives us a chance to be with someone at any time and anywhere. This is just an instance to where civic life has changed through generations. In the past the idea of a face-to-face conversation was considered normal, however now it just seems as if it is normal to always carry around technology. It seems normal to talk on your phone, tablet, laptop, or computer.

This entry was posted in Rhetoric and Civic Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.