This I Believe (Draft)

“I have the privilege of traveling around our country and meeting people all over the country who are making a huge difference in the lives of their neighbors and themselves. That’s what I’m really fortunate to be able to do.” – Laura Bush

I believe in talking to people.

During high school I frequently visited the neighborhood Starbucks before school. The line would be out the door but that would be the last of my worries. I was feeling very tired and weak and believed that a nice cup of coffee would wake me up. However, I did something one morning that I would never forget, I began a conversation with the person behind me. I had no idea who this person was or how he would feel about me talking to him but I just made eye contact and said good morning. He also said good morning back and I followed it up with a this “line is pretty long huh?”. That began our conversation.

When wanting to talk to someone you’ve never met before or even a friend there are specific techniques that are involved. One of the most important techniques is establishing a common aspect. I was able to do this and spoke to the man behind me. The power of talking to someone is so significant because you get the opportunity to take in another person’s life.

This entry was posted in Rhetoric and Civic Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to This I Believe (Draft)

1. Veena says:

Good start here. To move it to the next level, you might want to leave the quote out and start with I believe in talking to strangers. I did not always talk to strangers. It just happened one day… then you could add some details about what is special about talking to strangers, and why you think we should do it more often. Let’s talk monday.

2. Annabel Drayton says:

It’s an interesting way to start and I totally agree that a conversation with a total stranger can lead to something very interesting. I think you should make sure you elaborate on “talking to someone” because it can be a very wide topic. Also, I think your quote is a little different from the personal example you are using. Maybe you could find something more specific to talking to strangers. Otherwise it’s a great start and I can’t wait to hear the final product.

3. Carrie VanDoren says:

This is a very important skill to possess. I think that this an excellent topic for the TIB project because you really can go so many ways with it. Finding a common ground between yourself and another person can actually be very easy if you just put yourself out there enough to find it. Including this in your podcast can really help the audience relate to you because I feel as though a lot of think we are alone in most of our thoughts or beliefs. Finding someone that has the same ones as you do can be a very eye opening and comforting thing. So far, I really enjoy where you are going with this topic and I think your podcast will turn out great!

4. Michael Hyun Jr says:

Introduction:
    Attention Getter
    Orienting Material
    Thesis Statement
    Establishment of Ethos
    Preview
    Transition to Body

Body:
    Main Body Point #1
    Supporting Point
    Supporting Point

Conclusion
    Signaling of the End
    Summary of the Main Points
    Restating of Thesis Statement
    Artistic Closing (memorable)