Passion Blog Ideas

Passion Blog Ideas

My first idea for my passion blog is, of course, related to Taylor Swift. Since she has ten albums and there are ten blogging weeks, I plan to analyze each album and its overall impact and message. This includes breaking down her lyricism, which is widely considered her greatest strength as an artist, but also the production, visuals/music videos, and publicity attached to each album. In addition to identifying what I think are the highlights and shortfalls of each album, I hope to pick a thesis that summarizes the record and dig beneath the surface level lyrics in order to debunk the myth that she only writes about her ex-boyfriends.

Another idea that I had was to attend a different event that is offered on campus each week in order to create a kind of guide about life at Penn State. This could include popular events like football games but also watching performances put on by theatre groups and eating at restaurants downtown that I’ve never heard of before. Basically, it would include all of the opportunities that I wish I knew about right now, and as a bonus, it would push me to get out of my comfort zone.

As the number of polarizing issues in the United States seems to increase every day, it becomes easier than ever to lose track of some of the most pressing topics that face our nation. One debate, however, continues to arise in headlines more frequently than other contestable topics: the discussion about gun control. For as long as this exigence is on the forefronts of the minds of concerned students, teachers, and parents, advocates from both sides of the isle use a combination of strategies in order to sway the public. This political cartoon tackles the commonplaces that support the idea that individuals having access to guns makes people ultimately safer, in addition to combatting the image of perpetrators of mass shootings as mentally ill exceptions to the overall reliability of gun owners. By appealing to the compassion of its audience, the cartoon reaches the very root of the issue of gun control; despite any benefits that guns may provide for personal security, there must be some kind of change simply because there are children dying on a frequent and unusual basis.

Gun control, however, is not the only commonplace being debased in this cartoon. The choice to portray a father as opposed to a mother or sibling expertly attacks another misconception which states that grown men can’t cry. In fact, the intentional disruption of this social norm only further emphasizes the abnormality of the situation where a father is this afraid to send his daughter off to school because of the risk that she could become the next victim of a mass shooting. This diversion from stereotypical behavior that is being portrayed in this cartoon reminds people that our current state of affairs is not, and never should be accepted as normal.

Editorial cartoons for May 29, 2022: Texas school shooting, politics and prayers - syracuse.com