Recovering from Internalized Racism

Recovering from Internalized Racism

So far, I’ve discussed how being Indian has affected so many aspects of my life, but I want to address the prejudice that I had in my own head in my final blog. As a result of the stereotypes I saw on TV and the cruelty of some of my peers who did not know how to treat people who were different from them, I adopted the same racist mentality as the very people who I’m criticizing. This led me to deny myself, my family, and my Indian friends the respect that we all deserved. While I do regret my previous lack of appreciation for my culture, ever since I got to college, I have been able to fully embrace it in many ways, and it has made my life so much more rich and fulfilling.

For example, as I’m writing this post, I currently have henna on my hands, courtesy of my incredibly talented roommate (who happens to not be Brown). At one point very early in my life, I would’ve been embarrassed to be seen with henna, but now I can fully enjoy the beauty of the art, and I will try to get it done more often. Additionally, only after I left my house and was no longer being constantly exposed to the Bollywood music that my dad always has playing in the background did I realize how much I actually enjoy the music. I now go out of my way to listen to Hindi music because it brings me comfort and familiarity, which is something that I never would’ve thought to do a year ago.

My name is another topic that I’ve written about extensively, but the greatest takeaway for me has been that it has value and as a sign of respect, people should make an effort to remember it and pronounce it correctly. I’ve started correcting people who accidentally mistake it instead of just letting them learn it incorrectly like I did in high school.

Finally, I’ve learned the importance of sharing personal experiences and actively listening to those who are different. On my part, I always try to answer questions that my friends here ask me about my culture and my traditions with enthusiasm because I really appreciate their curiosity and openness to new ideas. In turn, I try to practice active listening and keep an open mind whenever I’m talking to people here who have different backgrounds than me. Returning the same respect of asking questions when I am curious about something and putting effort into remembering their names has helped me learn so much about new people at Penn State. Additionally, I try to remember my friends’ holidays and customs so that I can help them celebrate their culture like so many people have helped me do here. Even if that just means going to a cultural event to support them, sending them an “Eid Mubarak” or “Happy Easter” text, or trying a new food, I know that littlest effort can really touch someone who is feeling alone. Cultural acceptance is definitely a journey, but it is one that has already made my life so much more fulfilling.

3 thoughts on “Recovering from Internalized Racism

1. This was a beautifully written post. I am so happy to hear of your internal journey to truly embracing and connecting with your culture at college. Intercultural connections and friendships are so loving and eye-opening, I feel like I have learned so much about other cultures here at PSU. You’ve always had such insightful blogs all semester, and I have enjoyed hearing your perspectives and values so much.

2. I am so happy for you to be able to find such comfort in your culture. Being away at college has caused a lot of us to find new comforts, and your lessons are very admirable. I have found my way in faith during this time, and for as much as it has helped me, I can imagine your new grasp on culture has done the same for you. I really enjoyed reading your blogs! You always write so sophisticated, and very calming! Great blog!

3. This is such an important blog and a great note to finish on. I think that it is so important that we call out the things we want to see being changed in our world but also acknowledging when we ourselves have our own internalized issues. You have shown growth and the fact that you are not able to be proud and embrace your culture is the most important takeaway from all of your blogs. Becoming comfortable in yourself to then educate others is so important and necessary when it comes to these kinds of conversations.