post

Grey’s Anatomy

TNT/TBS Broadcasts 13th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards - Gallery

If you haven’t watched the hit drama series Grey’s Anatomy, then you are in for a treat. Grey’s Anatomy is a drama series, primarily written by the infamous Shonda Rhimes. The show centers around various medical staff and surgeons that work in a hospital located in Seattle, Washington. The show is known for its uncanny situations and well nit cast members. The drama is crafted meticulously by Shonda Rhimes.

I chose to write about Grey’s Anatomy because it is honestly something that i’m passionate about. I know, I get it – how could you possibly be passionate about a show? But I am very attached to the show and its fandom. A fandom is a set of people that profess love and constantly excite over a certain thing (most commonly movies, books, and music). For example, Star Wars and Harry Potter are known to have one of the largest fandoms and very loyal followers. The word fandom comes from the fact that the group is made up of fans.

I chose the title of this blog, ”Too Many 007s’ based off of the initial fandom culture that was built off the show. One of the beloved characters, O’Malley, was constantly revered for his underdog character and sweet-boy appeal. In the very first season, episode one George O’Malley is called 007 because he freezes during his first real surgery. As he became ridiculed for his failure, the hospital began to call him 007 as a way to tease him.

Too Many 007s signifies that vast majority of the characters that sweep in and out of the show. Grey’s Anatomy fandom has a habit of getting attached to various characters and giving them nicknames. The fandom is also known to ‘ship’ (root for) specific characters who are more or less involved with one another. The thing is, Shonda Rhimes shows no mercy. Although twisted and cruel, it is no surprise that Shonda has no problem with cutting off well received characters by her fans. Favorite characters such as Izzy, 007, McSteamy and Little Grey have been killed off throughout the series with no indication that it was on its way. Note, that these characters are all addressed by their nicknames as opposed to their true character names.

yang

In recent news, it has been announced that one of the main characters, Doctor Yang, otherwise known as Meredith Grey’s ‘person’ will be leaving the show by the end of this upcoming season. Doctor Yang is played by actress Sandra Oh. I would like to know how the dynamics of the show will change. In my opinion, Yang is the second most important character next to Meredith Grey. She’s been in the show since day one. I can’t imagine the storyline without her. But we shall see. This upcoming season two hour premiere airs Thursday, September 26, 2013 on the ABC Channel. Join me by watching the show.

twisted sister

Speak Your Mind