Historical Quotes

Since this blog will be ending soon, I thought it was fitting to provide some quotes for reflection, both about history and from some of my favorite historical figures. All of the quotes I will list are ones that I enjoy, so I might find it necessary to interject commentary.

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.- Winston Churchill (I think it goes without saying that Churchill did indeed make history and that it is rather kind to him.)

Winston Churchill

The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice.- Mark Twain (Mark Twain, telling it like it is since 1835. I highly recommend reading some of his quotes, if not his books. The man is one of my favorite authors. Despite the fact that his writing is old/classic, he’s not pretentious.)

Mark Twain

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.- Napoleon(This uses the whole idea of history being written by the victors.)

What is history but a fable agreed upon?- Napoleon

Napoleon

History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.- Ambrose Bierce

History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals and many copies.- Alexis de Tocqueville

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.- Napoleon

Legend: A lie that has attained the dignity of the ages- H. L. Mencken

Most of us spend too much time on the last twenty-four hours and too little on the last six thousand years. -Will Durant

History never looks like history when you’re living through it.- John W. Gardner

History is a cyclic poem, written by time upon the memories of man.- Percy Bysshe Shelley (Husband of the famous author of Frankenstein, Mary Shelley.)

History is the sum total of things that could have been avoided.- Konrad Adenauer (It is interesting to note that Adenauer was the first Chancellor of post-WWII West Germany.)

Konrad Adenauer

As much as I love history, I fully acknowledge that there were many terrible things that happened and that even the best of historical figures had flaws. When learning about history, it is important to remember that. The one thing I want you to take away from this blog is that although history can be serious at times, it can also be downright funny.

P.S. I hope you found the blog humorous at least part of the time you read it!

P. P. S. If you’re still reading, know that I wasn’t entirely sure how to conclude this post. If you’ve been following this blog, you probably know that I love posting videos from the show “Horrible Histories”, so I’ll leave you with the concluding scene from that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQEmMVx7dXs

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Historical Quotes

1. Megan Krause says:

I love how Churchill, a white male was saying this too. But that definitely ties into what Mark Twain is saying in the next quote. I feel like a lot of prejudice in history is the people who write it. Some of the most famous recounts of history is writing by all those wealthy white men. (As you kind of mentioned in the end. 🙂 )

I really like the quote by John W. Gardner.

(lololololol the video at the end!)