Encoding

Encoding is the basic process of getting information into our memory. Further processing of information can lead to this information to get into the long-term memory. Encoding occurs through either automatic or effortful processing. Automatic processing is information you remember unconsciously. For instance, an individual could easily recall what they wore the day before. Effortful processing is remembering the information through the requirement of work to remember this information. There are 3 different types of encoding: semantic, visual, and acoustic. Visual encoding is through pictures, acoustic is through the sound of words, and semantic is the meaning of the word itself. Semantic tends to be the highest level of retention for remembering things. It is proven that semantic encoding proves as the best way to remember something. It gives one a deeper understanding than both visual and acoustic encoding combined.  

Encoding, specifically effortful processing, is important for remembering basic information such as for a test. In high school, I typically did the same type of studying. I would rewrite notes, then proceed to memorize what I rewrote. This typically worked for me, and while I wouldn’t do perfectly on the tests, I would get a pretty decent grade. Once I got to college, this completely changed around. Memorizing my notes did not mean I would do well. When I took my first biology test, I was memorizing and rewriting information for about a week. When I went in to take the test, I felt prepared, however, once I logged onto the test I realized that memorizing information would not help me. I needed to apply this information I memorized to events and situations, so just remembering facts could not help me. Coming into my next biology test, I studied completely differently. While I had an urge to keep rewriting my notes, I resisted and instead tried to understand the information. Furthermore, I used outside resources such as the textbook to help aid my understanding in the topic. Seeing diagrams and graphs helped me understand the information more. 

By developing a better study method, I am now able to remember information in a more efficient way. More importantly, it takes me less time to study without memorizing my notes. By really understanding the information rather than memorize it word for word, I am able to remember the information with more ease, as it goes to long term memory rather than short term where I would forget it after the test.  

One thought on “Encoding”

1. Hi Alexis!
    I love that you have been applying our psychology concepts into your study process to help you succeed in class! I, too, was overwhelmed with the amount of information I needed to know for my midterms. In high school, I think most of us were able to get away with just simple memorization. My go-to study method even to this day is to create a study guide, which while useful, basically amounts to me rewriting my notes. I think the most useful thing I chose to do with my study guide after creating it was to discuss concepts with my friends and reteach each other material we were struggling with. In college, I’ve also found that practice exams and old homework questions are the most useful for encoding material. As a visual learner, sometimes graphs and diagrams are easier for me to remember rather than staring at large blocks of text, which is why I often doodle little pictures of things related to lecture material while taking notes in class. I was wondering what other study methods you might have adopted after coming to college to help prepare for exams that are more efficient for memory encoding.