Flashbulb Memory

Flashbulb Memory

A type of autobiographical memory, flashbulb memories record atypical and uncommon events with strong emotional associations. Therefore, the events that comprise these memories are often stressful, shocking or surprising. Like a camera’s flash, flashbulb memories are registered in the brain and reflect an exceptionally clear snapshot in time. The amygdala is believed to store these vivid and detailed memories as its neurological function is to encode, retrieve, and store episodic memories associated with emotional responses. The hippocampus is also believed to help foster flashbulb memories in the brain since its neurological role is to store long-term memories and regulate emotion. Both the amygdala and hippocampus are a part of the brain’s limbic system, which modulates emotion and memory. 

My Experience

I experienced a flashbulb memory when I visited my family’s damaged beach house in Long Beach Island, New Jersey, following the destruction of Hurricane Sandy. A few days after the superstorm hit the Jersey Shore, my parents broke the news to my sister and I that our beach house most likely sustained damage. In order to inspect this potential damage, my immediate family (including my mom, dad, sister and grandparents) and I decided to drive down to our beach house. Upon entering the island, I remember witnessing all the destruction the storm caused. Sand and debris were piled up on the streets (making it difficult to drive) and restaurants, storefronts and homes were flooded, damaged and even destroyed.

I noticed our street sustained some significant damage as the house next to ours was leveled and others were slightly wrecked. In particular, I vividly remember the damage our beach house suffered. Upon pulling up to the house, I recall witnessing the exterior with damaged siding and a few broken windows. I also very clearly remember opening the front door and seeing sand and bits of seaweed piled up on the floor, slight cracking on the walls, and water-damage on the living room furniture. After witnessing this, I remember my dad and grandpa immediately springing to clean up outside while my grandma cried and my mom consoled her. My sister and I took in all aspects of the dysfunctional scene before starting to clean up in the kitchen. During this experience, we all felt devastated by what we saw, but we also felt grateful that our house did not sustain more damage, as others unfortunately did. 

Connection to Flashbulb Memories

This memory is specifically a flashbulb memory because it autobiographically recollects a vivid snapshot of a personal experience (with my beach house) as it connects to Hurricane Sandy. This important event, like the 9/11 terrorist attacks, was shocking, stressful, and had widespread implications, such as mass destruction. Furthermore, this event fits that of a flashbulb memory since it was highly emotional. All my family members feel a strong connection and love for our beach house so it made the event that much more devastating. This emotional distress was especially demonstrated by my grandma, who cried after viewing the destruction our house endured. Not to mention, my memory contains all the fundamental elements of a flashbulb memory, such as who informed me of the event, where the event took place, how different people reacted to the event (including my personal involvement), how myself and others felt, as well as the aftermath of the event. Overall, even though it is inevitable that some details of strong flashbulb memories become less accurate over time, I will always remember the general sight of my damaged beach house and how I felt during the event (sad yet relieved). 

Image citation:

Patel, Shivam. “Cognitive Psychology.” Cognitive Psychology.