I will be discussing the topic of shaping for this post. Shaping can be defined as reinforcing behaviors that are closer to a target behavior through a process of successive approximations until a desired or targeted behavior is reached. I have a dog that has been a part of my family since I was four years old. I remember when I was young that my parents wanted to teach her to do tricks when we offered her a treat. I remember that the first they wanted to teach her to do was sit. When they first tried to teach her nothing happened and my dog would just stand there and look confused and eventually get worked up and upset because she was not getting the treat. I can recall my parents making fools out of themselves falling on the floor trying to show my dog what they wanted her to do. Eventually my dog either began to catch on her just so happened to sit down and she was rewarded with the treat. After this attempt my dog began to sit more and more frequently until as soon as she saw the treat she would immediately sit down. We then repeated this process with teaching her to shake and it went far faster than teaching her to sit did. We used successive approximations and rewarded my dog when she completed a behavior that was similar to the one that we wanted her to complete until she finally did what we wanted. We clearly underwent the shaping process to alter my dog’s behavior when she sees a treat.

One thought on “”

1. Hi! Your anecdote clearly shows how you went through the shaping process with your dog. I went through a similar process when I was training trying to train my pet hamster to jump through a hoop. I used successive approximation by giving my hamster a treat when it approached the hoop. Then, I gave it a treat when it walked through the hoop, and finally I gave my hamster a treat whenever it jumped through the hoop. Shaping of animals, especially pets, can be an inquisitive process to witness. I used the same shaping technique to teach my hamster other tricks, such as walking in a circle and going though a maze that I had built. Overall, shaping and the use of successive approximations is a powerful tool that can be used in Operant Conditioning.