Blog Post 2: Procedural LTM

The topic I chose for this blog post is Procedural Long-term memory. Procedural long-term memory is part of encoding, memory, and the duration of memory. In general, procedural long term memory is the encoded part of our skills that we acquire through years of experience. This could be riding a bike, simple math, or typing on a keyboard. It is anything that someone does that doesn’t require thinking through the act. These procedural memories are usually hard to describe in depth; it is difficult for us to explain to someone else how to ride a bike. One saying that describes this could be “you just do it”; it is not easy to explain, one day, a person will just acquire a skill. In my experience, I have procedural memories in the form of playing an instrument. I have been playing the trombone since fourth grade, starting in 2010. Over the course of almost ten years, I have adapted various time to different settings with different people. Over that time, I have generated some procedural long-term memory relating to the notes I play often. It has also come out of the basic ways to hold the trombone, how to create sound, and how to make sure I have enough breath during each part of the song. Obviously, I have not mastered, or even come close to mastering, the trombone yet. I still have plenty of short-term memories and working memories that must become long-term memories before I even try to become any better at trombone. But, all of my procedural long-term memories will be in my brain forever. That is because long term memory essentially lasts forever, unless there is issues or problems will getting that info out, retrieval errors. Playing an instrument is just one of the examples of the ways that procedural long-term memories exist in our brain.