Memory Construction

Memory construction is the concept that over time ones memory can alter/ change based on different factors. There are so many examples to help support this notion. There is no possible way to recall a memory perfectly, unless it was recorded and played out in front of you. When I used to go to my cousins lake house for vacation, I would come home and tell all my friends about my experience, as time went on, I came to the realization that every time I would tell the stories of that summer, that they would be different each time. This reflects the idea of memory construction. A story or memory can be changed over a given period. The greatest factor in this process is time. As time goes on, the less you will be thinking about that given memory. Other factors may relate to emotions or feelings about that given memory.. If one feels upset over a given memory, they may add in detail that can potentially make the memory seem worse than it actually was, altering exactly what happened. As previously stated, it is impossible to go back and recall a memory perfectly with an exact, detailed account. In class, 9/11 was brought up as a memory. People remember the day, and the event that happened, but it is impossible to go back and remember the exact details leading up to the incident or right after the incident. This allows one to distinguish elements between long term memory and short term memory. In short term, it is much easier to go back and remember what happened right before you recently, as to recalling an exact account of an incident that happened a very long time ago. Furthermore, memory construction is the notion that when we retrieve our memories, they may be altered than how they actually happened.