Operant Conditioning

Operant conditioning can be used to increase the frequency of positive behaviors and decrease the frequency of negative ones. I have used many of the principles of operant conditioning while babysitting. The two main components are reinforcement and punishment, each of which can be positive or negative. Reinforcement seeks to increase a positive behavior, while punishment seeks to decrease a negative one. Positive reinforcement involves introducing a positive stimulus, and negative reinforcement involves removing a negative stimulus. Positive punishment involves introducing a negative stimulus, and negative punishment involves removing a positive one.

One of my favorite babysitting strategies is positive reinforcement. I like to give the kids a reward to work towards, like getting to stay up a little bit later or having dessert after dinner. I always explain this reward at the beginning of the time, but they will receive it at the end on the condition that they behave.

Sometimes, I use negative reinforcement to improve behavior. One family that I babysit for during the summer asks that the kids have an hour of quiet time in their rooms each day. I usually tell the kids that they can come out after 45 minutes if I do not have to come up and remind them to be quiet.

In other cases, punishment is a more effective technique. I try to avoid using punishment while I am babysitting, but I have seen my parents use positive and negative punishment with my siblings.

Once, my brother was very disrespectful to his teacher at church, and my mom found out. She used positive punishment and forced him to write an apology letter and deliver it to the teacher. He was in second grade, so writing was still a challenge for him, making this an effective punishment and an educational experience. My parents also use negative punishment at times. My sister often gets her phone taken away when she is misbehaving.

All four types of operant conditioning can be effective, but it is important to analyze the situation to decide which one is the best to use.