Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Many people have confusion about the difference between an X-Ray and an MRI.  MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging.  According to Mayo Clinic, “Magnetic resonance imaging is a medical imaging technique that uses a magnetic field and computer-generated radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues in your body.”(1) MRI scans are similar to X-Rays, however MRI’s look at soft tissue such as the following: lungs, brain, heart, tendons and muscles; as opposed to X-Ray scans which show bone.  MRI’s have very good special resolution (down to the millimeters) which is why it is easy to find damage to tissues and where they are located.  I am able to apply the concept of MRI’s personally because I have had both MRI’s and X Ray’s done.

Initaially I was confused between the differences of an X-Ray and MRI, however now fully understand that they are two different machines with different functions. For example, roughly four years ago I sprained my foot coming down out of a cheerleading stunt. I was given an MRI, which was able to show stretched ligaments, being it is soft tissue.  A year later, I was dropped head first onto a gymnasium floor out of a stunt.  Moreover, I was diagnosed with a concussion as well as given an X-Ray which showed that I had fractured my left orbital socket.  An MRI would not have shown a fracture because MRI’s don’t pick up bone.

I hope this clarifies what an MRI is and it’s functions.  Below is an image of an MRI Machine and an X Ray Machine.

MRI

See the source image

Accorning to The Mayo Clinic, “Most MRI machines are large, tube-shaped magnets. When you lie inside an MRI machine, the magnetic field temporarily realigns water molecules in your body.” (1)

X-RAY Machine

Image result for x-ray machine

“MRI.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 3 Aug. 2019, www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/mri/about/pac-20384768.

Bing and Google picture was used to find images of the MRI and X-Ray Machines.

2 thoughts on “Magnetic Resonance Imaging”

1. I think this is a good description and distinction of the differences between an x-ray and an MRI. Many people are unaware of the technology that exists to be able to see inside of the body. These tools can be very useful to doctors, researchers, and educators. I have never had an MRI before, so I was unaware of exactly how they worked or what they look at. In the psychology field, I can see how useful MRIs would be in understanding the brain and how it works. I think it’s important for us as students to be learning about these kind of things in a world where technology is all around us. If it ever comes to the point where one of us has to experience an MRI, it’s good to have a basic understanding of what it’s looking at before entering the process of getting one.

2. You did an amazing job distinguishing between x-ray machines and MRI machines. In todays world there are so many different machines that do a variety of things. I think one of the coolest things in todays world is the evolution of these machines throughout history. For example before x-rays were used doctors would have to cut into patients to get a proper examination. Even when Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen discovered the x-ray in 1895 there was still no thought of medical usage. After he discovered x-rays there were major advancements made which eventually led to modern day x-ray machines. Eventually the x-ray machines evolved into other things like CT or CAT scans. These scans are special types of x-rays which use multiple x-ray scans to locate an area within an object. For example this can allow you to see within some areas of the brain which wouldn’t be accessible without cutting into it.