Applying Sensory Adaption

Throughout the class discussions of the brain, we have discussed many different topics involving the senses the their perception. One example of how our brain interprets our senses is through sensory adaption. All five of our senses are constantly receiving a response from a stimuli. However, sometimes the receptors receive a prolonged and persistent stimuli. This results in diminished sensitivity and the receptors then block out the stimulus. One simple example of this would be putting a bandaid on a cut or scrap. At first, you can feel the bandaid as it pulls on the hairs of your skin, making you constantly aware of the bandaid sticking to you. Over time, you adapt to the feeling of the bandaid on your skin and you forget that it is even there. Another example of sensory adaption is taken from a personal experience. When I was in seventh grade, I broke my wrist. After I went to the doctor, I found out that I needed to get a cast and wear it for a certain amount of time until my wrist was completely healed. The first couple days and weeks with the cast, was so uncomfortable and felt so different. However, as time went on living with the cast, I did not even know the difference of not having it on my arm. When it was time to get the cast off, it felt so weird, yet again, having a drastic change to my arm. But yet again, sensory adaption took place and I was used to not having the cast on anymore. In conclusion, getting the cast on and then off again are both examples of sensory adaption. This is because the body sensed a stimulus, but then quickly became used to the sensation and reduced the sensitivity due to the prolonged state of the stimulus.

2 thoughts on “Applying Sensory Adaption”

1. Great examples! Sensory adaptation is really interesting to look at with physical examples. What I find interesting is the sensory adaptation that can be seen in relation to selective attention, such as when you are reading a book in a noisy area but you are able to tune out the sounds around you to focus on the contents of your book. Also, many people have difficulty with multiple stimuli when it comes to selective attention, such as people who can’t focus on reading a textbook or taking a test unless their general area is completely free of disruption. I’m interested to look at the overlap between selective attention and sensory adaptations, and what is strictly reserved for each of those phenomena.

2. I’ve had similar experiences with sensory adaptations. In high school, I tore ligaments in my ankle and had to wear a brace for months. At first it was so tight and bulky that I hated it, but after a little while I had gotten used to the feeling of the brace and eventually started to like the stability that it made me feel. I have also had this experience with my piercings. When I first got my tongue pierced it felt weird and foreign. Every time I spoke there was something in the way. Every time I ate there was a new thing in my mouth to navigate around. But now, I’ve had it for over a year and I hate the feeling when it’s not in. I’m so adapted to the feeling of a little metal rod in my mouth that I don’t want to take it out since it feels normal to me now.