Psychology Blog Post 2

Forgetting Things – The Quirks of Our Memories

We’ve all experienced it – struggling to recall a familiar name, forgetting where we left our keys, or drawing a blank on the details of an event from years ago. As much as we might believe our memories work like video recorders, accurately storing information for perfect playback, the reality is much more complex. Our memories fail us more often than we realize. In my psychology class, I’ve been fascinated to learn more about the nature of forgetting, the different types, and some critical theories seeking to explain it.

When we forget, it’s either availability or accessibility that is the root issue. Availability has to do with storage – the memory trace might be degraded or destroyed, making recall impossible. Accessibility, on the other hand, refers to retrieval. The memory exists in storage but can’t be accessed. Tip of the tongue phenomenon and context-dependence show the role of accessibility in forgetting.

Proactive and retroactive interference also prevent access. Proactive interference happens when old memories hamper the recall of new info. Retroactive interference is when further info hinders the recall of old memories. I experience this when learning new terms for my classes! Decay over time, absent periodic review and rehearsal, also degrades accessibility.

Various theories aim to elucidate forgetting. Trace decay posits that memories fade with time if not used. Interference theory focuses on how similar memories compete and confuse recall. The cue overload principle notes that when a stimulus is linked to too many memories, any one association will be weaker. A lot of factors make our memories less reliable than we might assume!

Understanding the mechanics behind forgetting makes me appreciate how remarkable memory can be in the right circumstances. It’s helped me recognize the limits of my recall abilities so I can develop strategies to compensate – writing things down, minimizing interference where possible, and repetition of important information. I’m now less frustrated when I occasionally experience a memory glitch!

What about you – have you noticed any patterns related to when you’re more likely to forget things? Do you use any tricks to help jog your memory when it fails? Share in the comments!

Wede, Josh ” Lecture 11– Forgetting” The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA. 12 November, 2023. Lecture.