Nature vs. Nurture in Music

The concept of nativism revolves around the idea that our characteristics, ideas, intellect, etc. are all inborn. The nurture concept, or empiricism, is the idea that these things are gained through experience. In modern day psychology, most experts believe that both of these concepts have influence over behavior and development. An article written for the Peabody₁ Magazine discusses the impact of nature and nurture in the development of young musicians. The Peabody Institute, a music conservatory in Baltimore, Maryland, sees a large number of young, talented musicians. Many of these young musicians are considered musical prodigies; they have the natural, inborn inclination to be musically talented. Some of these individuals go on to become world-renowned musicians, playing in the top orchestras and symphonies across the globe, while others realize that they simply do not love making music and that they could live without it. The latter individuals have all the tools required to becoming world-class musicians like the former set of musicians, except they do not have the passion to continue making music.
This raises the question: Are people born with a propensity to love (making) music, or is a love for music something that must be learned? I think that the answer is both. Some love performing right away, they need no encouragement, while others need to be shown how to love it.
I am a student in the School of Music here at Penn State, so I have witnessed some of this first hand. I know that my talent for music is something I was born with, though I am certainly no prodigy. But talent is a combination of nature and nurture; I had to work hard to get where I am today, I was not born with that. Same goes for my love for music. Sure, I may have always had an inclination to like music, but I know that I would not love it the same way now if I did not have the experiences that I had growing up.
I was exposed to music from a young age. Both of my parents are musical. My dad played trumpet and sang in choir when he was in high school. My mom has played guitar since she was ten years old and she sang all throughout high school and college. She would sing me and my siblings to sleep at night when we were very young. My mom was also in a local music group that would perform in the State College area and at the annual Arts Festival in the summer. Music was already an integral part of my life before I myself was even involved in it. My own involvement (beyond singing to myself and around the house) started with my church. I became a part of the children’s choir as soon as I was old enough. Then in fourth grade I was given the choice to join choir in school and/or start playing an instrument. I did both. I started choir and I started learning to play the clarinet, and I have been doing both ever since.
For me, it has been my exposure to music that has shaped my love for making it. I have seen how much the people around me love music and it has transferred to me. It was nurture. It was shown to me and I developed a love for making music. It started with nature, but the rest of it was nurtured.

Birch, Kristi. Nature or Nurture? Peabody Magazine. Web. Feb. 4, 2013.

One thought on “Nature vs. Nurture in Music

1. Elise Barbara Kaslander

I have always been fascinated with the whole Nature vs. Nurture concept so this post really intrigued me. I had never thought about music, or the love we have for it, being inborn or rather something we’re nurtured into loving. Although I love music, I really am not musically talented even in the slightest bit. However, both of my brothers are. Although they do not perform professionally or even close to that, they both have a love for playing the piano and they’re good at it too. I agree that everything is a combination of nature and nurture, but I find it interesting because my brothers weren’t really nurtured into music. Neither of my parents ever played an instrument and no one else really nurtured my brothers into the love they have for the piano. They both happened to just pick it up on their own. So for my brothers, it seems that the love they have for music is more nature rather than nurture.