Pain Sensitivity in Redheads

Many people correlate a short temper with people who have red hair. But do people also consider that redheads are more sensitive to pain? Whether or not redheads tend to have a ‘fiery’ temper, it can be proven that they do have a greater sensitivity to pain due exclusively to genetics.

To further explain how the genetics of redheads relates to sensory sensitivity, one must first understand how pain receptors in the body function in the nervous system. Sensory receptors send signals through the spinal chord and brain when encountered with sensory stimuli. Some sensory receptors are specifically categorized under the somatic nervous system which refers to the body feeling, light, pain, touch, pressure and more. All these components of the central nervous system combine to fully utilize all the senses and to help protect the body against potentially harmful stimuli. In a recent study, as much as 20 percent more anesthesia is needed for redheads to fully disintegrate the pain involved with sensory neurons. Scientists have concluded that this is caused by the MC1R gene which produces higher quantities of pheomelanin. This red pigment is how redheads get their hair color and fine skin tone (Clark 1). There are only theories behind why this gene has such an effect but many believe it has something to do with overproduction of hormones related to pain (Clark 2). In my own experience as a redhead, I find these findings true. Whenever I had to have anesthetics administered on me at the dentist, I found that I needed multiple doses of it in order to not feel any pain. This is possibly due to the increased rates of pheomelanin and pain-inducing hormones which causes there to be more signals from the pain receptors to the brain. It could also be because pheomelanin is somehow related to hormones that activate sensory receptors (Clark 2). Even though there is not an obvious answer why redheads have this strange trait, one can infer that it has a great deal to do with the workings of the nervous system, specifically the sensory receptors that encompass it.

Works Cited

Clark, Josh. “Do Redheads Need Extra Anesthesia?” HowStuffWorks. HowStuffWorks Inc. 1998. Web. 4 February 2014.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/redhead-anesthesia.htm

2 thoughts on “Pain Sensitivity in Redheads

1. ayr5381

As a redhead myself, I found this post to be very interesting. I had no idea that there was a tendency for redheads to have an increased pain sensitivity, this subject was entirely new to me. However, I do relate to your story about the dentist. Over Christmas break, I had a cavity filled. After the dental hygienist used the anesthesia, she asked me if I could still feel pain. Though the pain was not overwhelming, she said she was surprised that I could feel anything at all, let alone any discomfort. She had to use additional anesthesia before finishing the procedure. Thanks for your interesting post on a new topic I knew nothing about!

2. Sarah Nicole Weidenbaum

Rosemary,
    I always knew redheads were sensitive to sunlight because of lighter skin and I knew that there was a difference that made a person a redhead apposed to not, but I had no idea that there was a difference in pain. Having a lower tolerance to pain, and possibly requiring more anesthesia during an operation sounds scary and confusing. Its crazy to think that something like an imbalance in pheomelanin can cause such a difference in people. Thank you for sharing your story, i learned something I really had no idea about.

-Sarah.