Nature vs. Nurture

As clearly stated in many other blog posts, nature vs. nurture is a very popular topic in psychology today.  Nativism (nature) is the idea that our behavior is inherited, and empiricism (nurture) is the idea that our behaviors are acquired through experiences and relationships.

Growing up, just like many other kids, I was always interested in playing soccer.  But I was a little different.  I had talent beyond any other 7 year old girl, which is why I tried out for the boys travel soccer team. I had an inborn talent. I was extremely fast and naturally talented at playing soccer (yes, it was inborn because I never worked at it). At the age of 7 I played up a year and made the u-9 boys soccer team, and continued to be the star player of that team until the start of my freshman year of high school.  I made the team because of my inborn talent, but growing up with 17 other boys and being with them every single day made me the hardworking, resilient, aggressive athlete and person I am today.

Since I was the only girl on the team, I had to work much harder than everyone to keep my spot (I was made fun of a lot too by the boys on other teams, until I kicked their butt). Working hard and being aggressive was a huge factor in middle school when the boys hit puberty and finally became faster, stronger, taller, and much tougher than I was. You would think that I shied away, being not even 4′ 11″ on a team with men who were taller than 6′, but that made me work harder, and become even tougher than I already was.

With that being said, as a freshman in high school I had no problem making varsity of my high school soccer team.  My coach loved the traits I possessed and I continued to use them until my very last game, because that is what I learned made me stand out from all of the other girls.  Because of my experience, I realize I need to continue to work hard to help make me stand out today in the real world.