Nature and Nurture Cannot be Separated

Are we born to be good at something or do we learn to be good at the things we weren’t in the first place? The topic of nature versus nurture is one of the most debatable topics throughout the centuries. My belief is that based on nature, we tend to accept new things and if we don’t develop either the nature or the nurture we have, then that is when our ability of doing something degenerate. When my brother was born, he was heard from others that he had a talented skill in crafting and making objects with his hands. He was awarded from numerous places and his elementary school head principle even came to see his work that he had done. Since then, my brother was taught to focus on other areas more such as studying, or do the “practical” thing that we should do to be a more successful person in our life. Since then, I’ve never seen my brother ever make something with his hands or draw a fantastic picture putting all his effort. Ten years later, my brother tells me he doesn’t want to create or design anything now, but simply just do the things he is told to do. I have never doubted once in my life that my brother has talent in the creative field, but what nurtured him throughout the years made him completely different. I do believe that his skills are better than mine, or any other people who weren’t born with the talent, but if you don’t uphold your talent, then I think it slowly fades away.

Another example is that I’ve seen someone who had absolutely no talent at all, at least that’s what her mother and her family members have been talking about her since a long time. She had no talent in sports, studying, socializing, or even enjoying things. So her parents kept telling her that she should change her personalities and be more outgoing if she wanted to succeed in her life. When I first met her, she could barely speak English at all. The only thing she kept doing was persistently study and prepare for her tests, or even socializing issues, she would try to speak up and stand up to others. After a few years I could find that her English dramatically improved and her personality had changed completely different from what she had been before. I believe all this comes from training, what you constantly teach you to think, and how hard you try. So this might sound as a nurture passage but I do not think nurture covers 100 percent of your personality; because her nature of being passive against everything, she tried had to recover that. And her parents were very consistent too so that’s where she probably could have improved by consistently doing what she was told to do.

Nature and nurture does not have an exact rigid answer. Many people differ by DNA structures and the way they were taught from families. However, we can learn that nurture can be created from your nature that was already in you and thus later making the nurture to be a stronger nature than what you originally had. As of a conclusion, do not debate whether nature or nurture is what forms you, because everything that you’re made of is part of your experience, nature, and the nurture you keep developing on.

4 thoughts on “Nature and Nurture Cannot be Separated

1. Christian Micaiah Duncan

I enjoyed reading this well thought out post. I agree with the fact that you believe there isn’t a concrete answer to this phenomenon. I found it interesting how you how able to tie two different stories into your post. With one being rather personal, you were able to witness this occurrence before your eyes with your brother. I find it amazing how delicate our lives can be and how we are affected by so many things that are out of our control. It truly is something we could talk about for a long period of time. Anyways overall this was a good post! Good analysis and examples.

2. Brian Stephen Stoyanoff

I found this article to be very interesting and touching. The way you described your friend and how she overcame her quietness was interesting to ponder. Also when you talked about your brothers talent and how he changed from his creativeness to an almost robot like figure. He just wanted to do what he was told, but he had a gift of extreme talent. I agree with you when you said that we are a mixture of both nature and nurture. We are born with certain traits that will eventually be molded as we experience new things. Great idea and post.

3. acj5097

I really liked how you have two different stories to show how nature vs. nurture isn’t exactly black or white. Your second story represents my beliefs more than your first story. I think you can make anything of your life no matter what you situation is. Of course there are extreme situation where a person is just too far behind the 8-ball, but with a little bit of nurture and luck, you can make the better out of any situation. When it comes to sports and the arts, there are some people who have the natural talent (or nature) to be better than others, like your brother. I believe that even if a person don’t have the natural talent, if he or she has enough of an interest in the subject, that person can become as good a they possibly can. I do think that nature gives certain people a higher ceiling of potential, but I think anyone can break through a ceiling.

4. Sarah M Hammond

I really enjoyed this post, I appreciated the way that you tied nature and nurture together while not specifically advocating one or the other. You have a very good point in that even if you have a talent for something, if you don’t develop it or spend time on it, it won’t necessarily become something noticeable. I liked that you used a standpoint similar to “if you don’t use it, you lose it” because it makes sense. Most of us can think of things we did as a kid and were really good at, but now we don’t have quite the same mastery. Good post!