Encoding and Maintenance Rehearsal

There have been many times throughout my college career when I wished I had a photographic memory.  I would be able to look at something one time and remember it perfectly.   Unfortunately, photographic memories are not very common.  College students have to rely on studying to be able to store and then recall the information.  The memorization process can be compared to the different parts of a computer.  The first step is encoding the information, or getting it into the memory system.  Encoding can be compared to a keyboard; the information has to first be inputted before it can be stored.  Next, the information must be stored somewhere, like on a floppy disk or flash drive.  Finally, the information must be able to be recalled or retrieved.  This action is similar to a monitor of a computer.  We can bring information from the storage area of the flash drive onto the monitor where we are able to see it again.  I think the encoding process is the most important step because this is only way information is stored in the memory.  Without encoding, information would never get stored in the short-term or working memory.

One of the hardest things about being a college student is trying to find a good study method.  Many students, including myself, practice maintenance rehearsal.  This method involved repeating information over and over again to keep it in the short-term memory.  There is a possibility that this information will eventually get stored in long-term memory, but it is unlikely.  Maintenance rehearsal is a common way of studying because it is so easy to use.  When I study for exams, I usually make flashcards and go over them again and again until I feel I have memorized the information.  While the information is stored in me short-term memory, I have not really understood the information.  If I tried to connect the information to something meaningful in my life, I would be practicing elaborative rehearsal, which is a much more effective studying method.  Elaborative rehearsal leads to much stronger long-term memory storage, making it easier to remember.