Passion #3: Get In Loser, We’re Going Chopin

(https://me.me/i/get-in-loser-were-going-chopin-badtastebb-<p>solid-pun<-p>-22290447)

I had to throw in a Mean Girls pun at some point.

So, you guys might be wondering… Why haven’t I written about the Classical Period composers? Where are Beethoven and Mozart? Don’t I think they’re important?

Absolutely, I think they are important. They changed classical music from religious, rigid compositions to lyrical, more improvised symphonies that stand the test of time. I’d rather not focus on them because so many of you know about them from your grade-school education. In my elementary school music class, we watched the movie about Beethoven every single year. I love playing his music, but his life story got a little redundant after a bit. That’s not to say that his life wasn’t full of obstacles and determination to write music through those challenges; he was incredible for how he overcame the loss of his hearing. And of course we know Mozart as the child prodigy who died early at age 35 after composing several operas, piano pieces, and symphonies (like Eine Kleine Nachtmusik – even if you think you don’t know this one, you probably do).

Since we know so much about these composers, I’d like to focus on those who aren’t so well-known to those outside classical music. One of these composers, of the Romantic era, is Frederic Chopin (pronounced “shoh-pan,” not “shoppin”).

Chopin was the first major composer to devote his pieces mainly to the piano. His pieces for solo piano were relatively shorter works, including “20 nocturnes, 25 preludes, 17 waltzes, 15 polonaises, 58 mazurkas and 27 etudes” (Libbey). In these shorter works, Chopin used more extensive improvisation in rhythm and melody than had ever been used before – a far cry from the mathematical nature of Bach’s works. This more flowing style “opened the door to an emotional ambiguity that continues to intrigue listeners,” according to Ted Libbey of NPR. He reinvented the polonaise and nocturne, and he also created a new type of short work for piano, the ballade. In short, Chopin was kind of revolutionary!

I have come across several techniques while attempting to play Chopin that inspired the rest of Romantic music. The main one is the flexibility of tempo (also called rubato). Players use rubato to emphasize different phrases or “lean into and pull back” from the music for emotional effect. This improvisation was new to classical music! Another technique is the cantabile, or singing style, of Chopin’s melodies. His music is softer and more poetic than that of other Romantic composers like Franz Liszt, allowing for more improvisation.

Chopin was originally from Poland, but he soon moved to Paris, the hub of Romanticism at the time. Chopin earned a reputation performing early in his life – by age 8, he had surpassed his teachers – with the help of his musically talented parents. Even Robert Schumann, an acclaimed composer of the Romantic era, praised his music: “Hats off gentlemen! A genius!” (Libbey). This reputation helped him support himself as a teacher of many upper-class pupils, although he was so embarrassed to ask for money that he hid his face as his students placed their payment on the mantel for him (Classic FM). While in Paris, Chopin made friends with other Romantic composers like Felix Mendelssohn and Liszt (who will be covered in the next blog post). He also developed tuberculosis, which continued to severely affect him throughout his short life.

Chopin had quite a tumultuous love life. He fell in love with Maria Wodzinski, but their engagement was cut off by her family. A few years later, he engaged in a fiery affair with writer George Sands. George Sands was actually an alias for Aurore Dudevant; she used a male name to be able to publish books at a time when society dismissed female writers. During their nine-year relationship, Chopin produced some of his most artistic and provocative works, incorporating the turbulence of his sickness and the contentment of his love for Dudevant.

Eventually, his relationship with Dudevant ended about the same time as he became gravely ill. He died in 1849 at the age of 39. What is it with these composers and dying young??

Although he died young, Chopin had an immeasurable effect on classical music. He transformed piano works to be more expressive and inspired. One of his most inspired works, and quite possibly his most famous, is his Nocturne No. 2 in E Flat. It’s definitely one of my favorite pieces to listen to! Listen for his rubato and cantabile styles.

For more of Chopin’s famous hits, check out the links below!

Fantasie in F Minor (which is believed to represent a quarrel and make-up between Chopin and Dudevant)

Etudes No. 25 Op. 1: “Aeolian Harp  – truly gorgeous in my opinion

Nocturne in B Flat Minor (Op. 9 No. 1)

And here’s our musical meme of the week, in honor of Chopin!

(http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qraly)

Here are my references:

Libbey, Ted. “The Life And Music Of Frederic Chopin.” NPR, NPR, 2 Mar. 2010, www.npr.org/2011/07/18/123967818/the-life-and-music-of-frederic-chopin.

Nicholas, Jeremy. “Frédéric Chopin – a Bicentenary Focus.” Gramophone, Mark Allen Group, 22 Mar. 2010, www.gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric-chopin-%E2%80%93-a-bicentenary-focus.

Spencer, Mel. “Chopin: Compositions, Pronunciation, Biography and Other Facts.” Classic FM, Global, 25 Sept. 2018, www.classicfm.com/composers/chopin/guides/chopin-facts/.

One thought on “Passion #3: Get In Loser, We’re Going Chopin

1. I really want to listen to more Chopin now haha. I think this post is great! I like how you took advantage of the fact that everyone always focuses on more popular composers and instead chose to focus on one of the lesser-known like Chopin. It really helps highlight him and his work even more! I also really enjoy how you have a really engaging tone with jokes and memes in the text which helps make the topic sound really interesting! The read also “feels” really light and not like an essay which is awesome! You really took advantage of the blog style, and I definitely looked at classical music very differently with this post! Also, I think it might also be a good idea to possibly even include modern references to Chopin in TV shows or movies. It would really help tie the topic back into modern time. Great post overall! Super fun to explore!