Alternative Bullet Technology

Guns and violence are clearly hot button topics in the United States right now. A gun accessory aimed toward a police/law enforcement audience is discussed in the following article that I came across. The accessory is designed for the very first bullet in the ammo cartridge of the gun in order to reduce the speed of the bullet and decrease the number of bystander casualties.

http://www.popsci.com/clown-gun-for-police-slows-down-single-bullet

Although something like this is good in theory, I don’t think the application of it will succeed. There are always going to be dangerous situations that police face. It’s just the nature of their job. If they are negatively impacted by this product that is supposed to help, how are they supposed to protect themselves? Granted every situation is different, but the risk is still present. It would take a little more time than the officers may have to load the gun, which is stated in the article. That hindrance could cost not only the life of the officer, but of others involved in each situation.

I think the alternative bullet is a good idea on paper, but lacks in practical application. If the technology is developed a little more it has the potential to save numerous lives. What do you guys think of this innovative accessory?