Is Apple Pay the New payment system?

Apple Pay has been becoming increasingly popular and is now being used in places such as Starbucks, KFC, and Chilli’s. Using this new system allows customers to easily pay for their things and is low maintenance. The way it works is that the user puts their iPhone and Apple Watch near the credit card holder and is automatically charged.

apple-pay-e1414504064841-1940x1090

Using this new system is an easy alternative to carrying around a wallet filled with credit cards or debit cards. Apple has created a Wallet app on the iPhone that lets the user store their credit card information, all stored conveniently in your phone. Apple Pay is leading us into the future of payment methods.

Apple Pay can be a lot more appealing to customers because it’s fast and convenient. Customers who shop at Starbucks, for example, are usually in a hurry and just want their coffee or tea. Using Apple Pay can get them in and out of Starbucks quickly.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/using-apple-pay-at-starbucks-kfc-and-chilis/?ref=technology&_r=0

10 thoughts on “Is Apple Pay the New payment system?

1. As a cashier, I am hoping that Apple Pay makes its way through its difficulties and problems causing it to have a slow start-up. The idea itself sounds very convenient for all of the parties involved in the paying process. As the article I listed below states, Tim Cook feels as if Apple Pay has been doing great and will continue to do great in the future. However, two of the five main stores that signed up to try Apple Pay have already backed out. These stores, Rite Aid and CVS (both very widely distributed chain stores in the US), have not dropped out because of the idea of the new paying process. Rather, they have decided to come up with their form of convenient paying options that will only work specifically for their individual stores.

The reason I bring this up is because, although using my phone(which is always in my hand anyway) to pay for my items would be easier than searching for the correct credit card, I worry that all big chains will follow in Rite Aid and CVS’s footsteps, and decide to create their individual convenient paying processes. If this happens, finding the correct apps to pay at each different store with different apps on my phone will soon become just as difficult and rummaging through my purse to find the correct credit card.

Resources:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2014/10/28/4-perils-of-apple-pay/

2. I found this post really interesting, because I actually ran into a problem recently where Apple Pay would have come in handy. My brother and I were driving to visit my grandma and we both wanted a coffee but neither of us had money. He thought that Dunkin might have Apple Pay, but when going through the drive through we were informed that they did not. We then resorted to Starbucks, where I had a gift card stored on my phone. If Dunkin would have had Apple Pay they would have gotten our business over Starbucks.

3. Apple pay is definitely a new payment system. Unfortunately, it is not doing well since it came out. Sure, there are many benefits using apple pay, but “Small merchants aren’t getting on board.” According to a report, 87% of small merchants still do not accept mobile payments. It is true, l rarely see people use their phone to pay. PYMNTS CEO Karen Webster seems to have a good explanation for the declining user of apple pay. “Paying for something at a counter in a store isn’t broken – Apple Pay was ‘fixing’ a pain point that doesn’t exist for consumers,”
    Maybe carry around with credit cards isn’t a problem at the first place. It is undeniable that apply pay will bring many conveniences to our life. However, it needs to collaborate more with the merchants or keep improving apple pay.
    Reference
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2015/06/01/why-is-almost-no-one-using-apple-pay/
    http://www.cultofmac.com/384479/apple-pay-adoption-is-on-the-decline-in-the-u-s/

4. Apple pay has many advantages. For examples, it eases the difficulty of the payment. People won’t have to pull out their credit cards every time they want to check out. Moreover, people will have a better track on their payment history since they will receive electronic receipts.
    Oppositely, it’s not sure that some hackers will steal the credit card information since its safety. The worst thing is that it’s very hard to track since the payment is instantaneously issued. With that being said, Apple should consider the safety besides the user experiences.

5. I feel as though the concept itself is great in terms of usability. The fact that it makes paying for goods that much easier is very appealing to many people and the fact the the app is free makes people more inclined to at least try out the app. Knowing apple and its track record, the security that is provided around using the app will most likely be very secure and safe to use with personal information. The only thing with that sticks out the most to me is although it is very promising for the new generations, the older generations may be very hesitant in trusting an app with their personal information. The population is increasingly growing, and the percentage of people turning to online banking and paying online is increasing with it. We can see the increasing percent of users over the years and there seems to be no decline. This leads me to believe that even though there may be people who will stray away from using the app, the amount that will utilize it will greatly outweigh them causing the app itself to become the new way of online pay.

references:
    http://www.americanbanker.com/bulletins/-1020520-1.html
    http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/74067-Explaining-Apple-Pay-Pros-Cons

6. Apple pay is revolutionizing the way in which consumers purchase things. Anywhere from merchandise to food and appliances. It is quick, easy, and painless. There is no need to carry around a bulky wallet filled with credit cards and debit cards that you are constantly worried about losing track of. But, is this new direction a good thing? Yes, it is. I do agree with you, it is convenient and will pay off.
    Here is an article from Forbes on why Apple pay will overcome its slow start out of the gate: (http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthof/2015/10/10/6-reasons-apple-pay-will-overcome-slow-start/). The six reasons why Apple pay will thrive back your position perfectly. Apple already has the edge in this market, and more businesses are starting to change with the times. In a few more months, Apple pay will dominate and the market will be waiting for the next great thing that they come up with. But until then, we will wait.

7. I think this is an innovative idea because is an example of technology convergence that make people’s life easier. Also shows Apple really to focus on user design because it realized the customer need or mover connivence way of pay things. As a customer we always want to do things faster and easier. Apple pay definitely helped that. By put it on the phone, it also helps users to shop or play games on the phone which is good for Apple.

However one thing that still need to be consider is security. If credit card info is on stored on the phone, any kind of data breach in the phone will be dangerous to the users. Also if the user lost the phone. Will someone be able to access the phone and gather the information is still a concern.

Overall, Apply pay is still a good way to help customer to make easier purchase.

8. I think that the idea of Apple pay is a very interesting phenomenon. It is an example of how Apple is always striving to enter into the next segment of the technology market. While you raised some good points as to how the system creates a lot of every day conveniences, I think that there are definite security problems involved.

Seth Rosenblatt wrote in a cNet article about how the Apple Touch ID system on iPhone 5’s and newer can be hacked with “an age old trick.” It was as simple as using an imposter finger print to gain access to the code. This issue leads me to believe that thieves could use imposter finger prints to gain access to victims bank accounts. Furthermore, people tend to keep multiple cards on file in Apple Pay. Displaying the card numbers just as visibly as they would appear in a wallet, the thieves could easily get card numbers to use at a later time. Thieves could quickly obtain information and return the victim their phone before they even realized that it was gone, and that they had been hacked.

In addition to Apple Pay, other security measures related to people’s phone are put at risk as well. With people becoming more and more reliant on their phones, applications have developed that can store passwords for important accounts. Thieves could gain access to these pieces of information as well.

Overall, Apple Pay has the ability to be of great convenience to every day consumers. However, there are definite security measures that must be taken into consideration as we explore usage of this new app.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-touch-id-still-vulnerable-to-hack-security-researcher-finds/

9. I think Apply Pay could be the next payment system. There are many pros and cons to the Apply Pay system though. Some of the pros are that payments would be simpler to make because everything would be on your phone. Another pro would be that there is no extra fee for the retailers and there is less risk of a credit card number being stolen because there is no card present. The service is extremely easy to use and Apple has said that they will not track shopper transactions and store the data so therefore there is greater privacy.

However, some of the cons are that Apple might have some issues with getting stores to adopt the Apple Pay way because it requires shoppers to have an iPhone and retailers to support a certain software. Apple hasn’t said anything about Apple Pay for online shopping so therefore shoppers would still need to have a card when they went to shop online. This could be a huge problem that Apple runs into because there are tons of people that just online shop and never go into a store, or do the majority of their shopping online. Some also worry about how stable the new system will be and if the transaction will be able to process as quickly as the demo shows where there are millions of people trying to use Apple Pay.

Some other issues are with security and experts say that the new Apple Pay would definitely be a target for hackers. Although they say Apple Pay is extremely secure, they think that hackers will go after the whole ecosystem and not just Apple Pay. They also said that many Apple customers use a windows based machine to work with their devices and accounts so that leaves them open to attack as well.

Apple Pay could become the next big thing and many are not worried about the security of it because Apple has been working diligently to try to make it impossible to hack but there is always the risk of hackers. The pros of Apple Pay definitely outweigh the cons, and Apple Pay or any other form like Google Wallet could change how the world goes about paying anything at stores.

http://www.techworld.com/security/apple-pays-security-is-impressive-but-that-wont-stop-hackers-trying-3571935/

10. Apple Pay may seem “slick and sexy”, but is it actually as good as it seems. Just as many other technological advances, they may seem fine and dandy at first, but once they begin use, people can easily point out the cons. Actually even before use of this type of technology, one can easily see all of the negatives that could potential occur because of the use of this thing called Apple Pay. People may be quick to jump on these negatives such as the cost of making and implementing the product and also the security of the user’s credit card information and personal information, but if you actually read about the product, one can see that Apple took these factors into consideration.
    Along with the pros listed in the other blog, I believe Apple took good measures to turn some of the cons into pros and make an interesting app.
    Companies such as Target and Home Depot have proven that stolen credit card information is big business, and Apple took measures to make sure that they didn’t run into the same issues as these companies. Your actual credit card number isn’t even stored on your phone for this app. A one time use payment number is generated on your phone after you have proven ownership of a card. Also, for every transaction there is, Apple creates a unique security code. In the rare case of being hacked, the only thing that the hacker will see is the one time payment number and the unique security code. Additionally, Apple has made it so that they cannot even see where, when, from who, how much, etc. of what you are buying. To me, I believe that Apple took good measures on the security of this app, and I feel that people will feel very safe using it.
    If this security is as good as Apple claims, then there will certainly be a reduction of stolen credit cards, especially since people will not need to carry around wallets anymore.
    Apple makes this app especially appealing to its customers because it is free of charge. Apple isn’t even charging extra fees for retailers to implement this app. This app lets you pay as a guest, allowing you to never actually create an account within the app, but if users intend on using it frequently they may want to take advantage of the rewards and actually sign up for the app. Apple has made this app very cost efficient for both the users and the retailers.
    Obviously, there may be cons to this app, but I believe overall that Apple has taken measures to reduce them and make an overall good product.

Resources:
    http://www.technologytell.com/apple/140263/apple-pay-pros-cons/