Technology predicting & preventing crime?

The Internet of Things was a big topic of discussion for the beginning of this course and is a huge evolving topic in general. Most of the ideas that are thought of for the sensors that go into the IoT are focused around how to help people, but what about the big leap to really help people? If there was a form of technology that was able to predict and furthermore prevent crime, how would this impact America, or the world in general?

Hitachi’s Predictive Crime Analytics system is a process being worked on with algorithms and artificial intelligence programed into software and hardware to track, collect, and analyze data found on the internet to try and pick up on threatening behaviors and notify the authorities. Other factors also play a role in this prediction process, like the weather and historical crime data.

To further predict where crimes may unfold the program is using location data from a variety of social media platforms and public surveillance networks, to better narrow down where crimes are more likely to occur. All of these predictions are presented in real time and displayed for law enforcement to see and keep a higher watch in areas that seem to have more activity than others.

The main goal of this software would be to help law enforcement and give them a better prospective to things that they may not be able to see when they are trying to keep people safe. It would not be able to prevent all crimes, but with future enhancements they are trying to make it as accurate as possible to efficiently help as many people as possible. Some cities have already signed up to test and use this software and collect data to see the accuracy and helpfulness of the program.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/02/technology/hitachi-predict-crime/index.html

4 thoughts on “Technology predicting & preventing crime?

1. The idea of technology predicting crime could really change the world. It could prevent serious harm and injury and allow people to feel more comfortable and confident. However, the accuracy of this technology could really make or break it.

I question the accuracy of this technology for many reasons. Emotions and intentions are very hard for some people to understand, let alone a machine. Is it actually possible for technology to be able to read the motives of humans? I would be curious to know what type of lab testing would be done to ensure that the cameras and devices are accurate and correct. If this technology were to be successful, it would save a lot of money and lives.

I can’t help but to think that by creating this sort of technology the use of Police officers, and other emergency services, would slowly decline. We would no longer need police officers patrolling. Officers would likely just receive notifications of possible crimes that are about to occur. By predicting the intention, and not the action, officers could get to scene in time to avoid any crime from occurring at all. The mere presence of authority would most likely be enough to deter crime.

What would happens if the intention to create a serious crime is detected, but not followed through? Will people begin to get punished for their thoughts instead of their actions? It will be interesting to see what sort of actions follow the implementation of such a security system.

2. I personally think crime forecasting can change the face of law enforcement, save millions of dollars spent by agencies and governments, have the great potential to lessen crime rates as a whole, and even go as far as to save lives. While the spectrum of these technologies has been focused on urban areas, I think that its greatest impact can be in suburban and rural regions.
    My brother served as a Pennsylvania State Trooper for seven years and worked in south central Pennsylvania. This area has smaller cities, in the likes of State College and Bellefonte, but also is made up of many smaller towns, thousands of square miles of rural countryside, and many farms. Due to the region’s demographics and geography of the region, law enforcement officers can be very up to a half hour away from a critical crime in their jurisdiction. These slow response times can be the difference between stopping a crime, catching an assailant, or even the difference between life and death.
    With the ability to predict the frequency of crimes and where they could potentially occur, response times could be shortened, dollars spent on manpower and variable costs of travel could be lessened, and ultimately police could be more efficient and safer in the field. I believe that the initial investment into this technologies is well worth the benefits that it will provide to the departments using it. Please let me know your thoughts I look forward to hearing them!

3. Predictive Crime Analytics system is cool, but will it working? I am not sure. The first thing that came up to my mind is human is more complicate than a software can predict. For example, everyone has bad times and want to do something crazy, how can a software figure out if we would do it? I have a 20 pages paper due, and I have not started. I just want to the school to explode, and maybe I do not need to hand on the paper any more. Will I do it? Of course no. The example is kinda extreme, but it did exist in our real life. I don’t believe that a software can distinguish between a real crime and a imagining crime. The second thing I am worry about is that it is a software after all. It means it can be hacked and can be dangerous. Although I am not an IT guy, I am sure there is someone in the world has the ability to hack anything they want. What if they want use it as a bad tool? The last thing I concerned with is that people will get relaxed if we apply this software, and eventually the crime rate will go up. If we apply the software, people will think that they are save if they do not get a warning or something like that. However,people are always smarter than software. Bad people will eventually find ways to deal with the software. While people think they are safe, bad people will be conduct a crime more easily.

However, the software is a good thing. It maybe can forecast some crimes. My suggestion is that use that software as a guideline. Do not believe in the software.

https://www.hds.com/corporate/press-analyst-center/press-releases/2015/gl150928.html

4. l think the real life is way more complicated than an algorithms. There is an Japanese animate how in the future, there is a system to determine what kind of job is your best fit and if you would be a criminal in the future. If there is a chance that you would be a crime, then you won’t get a good job. Every police has an intelligent gun. If the gun estimate that you are a dangerous. It would automatic shoot at that person. You can not judge somebody just people you think they are bad. Things are changing. Sometimes, it turns out if you give these people a chance, they will chance. What if a hacker change the algorithms, then someone maybe arrest for it. However, l do believe that there is a pattern to find. But we can not use it as the only critique to judge. It would be great if we would locate the crime as soon as possible and that help a lot. And this system can give the police more time to prepare. l think there is still a long way to go if we want to use it.
    Reference:
    http://www.echonews.co.uk/news/13844790.Minority_Report_is_here__Academic_says_crime_predicting_software_works/