Will artificial intelligence kill the smartphone?

This is an interesting debate that I found.  The question is “will artificial intelligence kill the smartphone?”  According to half of the smartphone users that were surveyed by Ericsson, which is a Sweedish multinational provider of communication technology and services, they believe the smartphone will disappear within the next 5 years.  This is staggering as it seems that smartphones are at an all time high in popularity.

These same people that say the smartphone will disappear also said that an AI of some sort will be the main way that people interact with the internet and other wireless devices.  This AI is not yet known, but artificial intelligence has slowly been gaining popularity in the tech field over the past couple of years.  This technology can be a very interesting debate over the next few years as to how this potential artificial technology could replace something as commonplace as the smartphone.

artificial intelligence AI robots

URL: http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/09/technology/ericsson-survey-predicts-smartphone-death/index.html

6 thoughts on “Will artificial intelligence kill the smartphone?

1. There are so many different movies surrounding the idea of an AI and i for one think it is a very cool idea. I agree with the other comments in saying that it will not take place of the smartphones as they are too intertwined with our everyday lives. I think they will be mixed into the smartphone technology to give consumers the best of both worlds. The smart phones are just too in use today to get rid of them, leaving the only option to further advance them.

2. I highly doubt the smartphone will “disappear”. The “smartphone” may very well turn into an actual smart phone. There will need to be a portable way to carry these A.I.s and because nearly everyone has a smartphone the ideal way to do it would be through a massive update that would recall current phones and implement something with better hardware and an A.I. unit . If anything I believe that there will be even more devices than the smartphone because the more interconnected devices you have working in unison, the faster any one task can be accomplished. More and more products will be pushed out into the public because businesses it is far easier to do business, create products, or deliver services by using artificial intelligence.

3. I think the idea of AI is really cool and it will be a big part of life in the future. However, I would disagree that smart phones would become obsolete within the next five years. I feel like smart phones still have plenty of room for improvement before they are entirely gotten rid of.

4. The artificial technology is really hot today. Your post is a really new view of the problem. I do not think the company Al is right. Because smartphone is a important part in our life. We can not live without the smartphone. We can share our life on that. This can not be replace by the artificial intelligent. The artificial intelligent is good, but it can not give the interest to us.

5. This is certainly an interesting prediction. Although I do think artificial intelligence may become a reality in the coming years or decades, I personally do not think it will make smartphones obsolete in just five years. Like you said, smartphones are at an all-time high in popularity, so it is not likely that we will see them replaced so soon. In addition, based on my knowledge, artificial intelligence is nowhere near ready to become a widespread, prevalent reality in only five years. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future.

6. This article is very interesting, but I am going to have to disagree with what the Ericsson company thinks. Later in the article it goes on to say as quoted from another big tech company Gartner that in five years they believe that everyone in the world will have over three devices connected to the internet, and I think that I believe that statement more. As of right now everyone has at least two devices or three at this school that can connect to the internet at anytime. This can only get bigger as more technology develops because as college students we need this technology for school so we spend the money to get it, but as this technology gets more developed in the next five years the price will drop allowing everyone to be able to get this technology and for everyone to be interconnected.