Facebook reveals privacy to interviewers

Nowadays, social media platforms such as Facebook that contain absurd amounts of personal information on its users have completely changed the meaning and confidentiality of private information. There are many consequences and disadvantages that have arose due to the increasing accessibility of people’s personal information. One of the biggest problems caused by this arises during teen job interviews. Many teens are mindlessly displaying photos, videos and statuses that show them taking part in unprofessional and inappropriate activities. Prior to this over-exposure of users’ privacies, an employer had no way of obtaining information about the personal life of the individual being interviewed. However, with the help of social media like Facebook, interviewers can learn a lot about an individual’s private and social life before the interview ever takes place. In many cases, this results in the interviewer stumbling upon an undesired picture or status. This will often cause the interviewer to either form a strong bias against the individual and thus decreasing his or her chances of getting the job desired, or to simply never consider the individual for an interview. In both cases, the person being interviewed is suffering from detrimental consequences even though the “undesired content” on his or her Facebook profile may have been a mistake and does not represent the person’s personal nor social life. This causes many employers to miss out on potential skillful employees solely due to an irrelevant Facebook picture or post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/20/employers-use-facebook-to-pre-screen-applicants_n_1441289.html

2 thoughts on “Facebook reveals privacy to interviewers

1. Yes, I agree that there are many consequences and disadvantages that have arose due to the increasing accessibility of people’s personal information. But, Facebook has ways to control your privacy that would protect its users from being found by unwanted people. I remember in middle school, we use to search up our teachers all the time just to get a glance at their “normal life.” At the time, we were unable to find most of our teachers due to privacy and/or age restrictions. Now that I am in college, I see a bunch of my former teachers pop up on my “recommended friends” to add. That goes to show that there are ways to protect yourself.

On another note, I do think that your Facebook or other social media accounts can negatively affect you. Some people do not believe that people check social media for inappropriate content. As an prospective college athlete and student athlete in high school, I was warned not to post anything that would damage my reputation. I found an article related to this topic with coaches (can be interchangeable with employers). It notes that “in a US Youth Soccer survey of college coaches, 322 coaches said they check social media profiles of potential recruits, and 89 percent of those coaches said a player’s social media presence has negatively affected how they view that player.” That goes to show how detrimental it can be to post pictures, posts, tweets, etc. can be if they seem inappropriate. The moral is, watch what you post because it will always be there somehow. People who you may think is your friend can screenshot it and release it somehow down the line. All in all, Facebook and social media platforms already do have ways to segregate yourself from unwanted attention. However, your content can be subjected to exploitation and there is no way around it.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/dont_let_your_social_media_habits_hurt_your_image_in_the_eyes_of_college_coaches/

2. I strongly disagree with interviewers investigating one’s privacy and personal life in advance to interview. I heard that one in five bosses has rejected a job applicant after checking out their social media profiles. This system is called as “shoulder surfing” and “force friending.” Interviewers and recruiters integrated new job seeker screening practices to find job candidates for their corporations. They involve asking the job candidates for their Facebook password. In a practice of “shoulder surfing,” the interviewer asks candidates in an interview to log in to their Facebook account to check any friends only setting posts and photos. They check any inappropriate activity, any drug use or party photos. “Force friending” is when administrators require employees to friend them in order to keep watching on any potential non-compliant activities. Some of the employers even have been requesting Facebook passwords on a job applicant. I believe that personal life and any privacy information is one’s to keep. It is separate life from their job or work place. I think that privacy needs to be protected in any circumstances except those related to crimes. I hope that there be a right for those applicants to protect their privacy from any organization.

http://time.com/money/3510967/jobvite-social-media-profiles-job-applicants/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2115927/How-Facebook-cost-job-One-applicants-rejected-bosses-check-profiles-social-media-sites.html
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140915132033-97000810-the-job-interview-we-re-going-to-need-your-facebook-password