The Power of the Web

Saya Tomioka posted a plea for help on facebook after t her boyfriend Griffon Madden died due to a warehouse fire in Oakland California.

Last week Sava posted on her Facebook page:”This morning I remembered the first time I went to Times Square, June 16 of 2015,” she said. “I cried, and we kissed. Some random photographer captured this very moment, this very kiss. Maybe some facebook miracle could happen…. please share…Friends, possibly with your help, I can be reunited with this photograph, this treasured memory that I’ll always keep in my heart. I need some light right now. I nearken_1481495546256_7322621_ver1-0ed a reminder of the brightest light of all — love.” Her post was shared all throughout the facebook community.

A photographer from Queens named Arkan Aven came across the message through others on Facebook four days later and decided to take a look through his own work. Aven takes hundreds of street photos of coupes who visit the heart of New York City. He sorted through over 2000 photos before he came across the image of the young couple.

“I found the photo. I was shocked,” he said. “I couldn’t believe it. I was happy, but at the same time I was very sad. I hope this image brings some peace to her and she will keep that as a memory for
ever about his love.”

Aven was able to retrieve the photo to Tomioka. She responded, “I have been hoping for a miracle, a glimpse of your light back into my life. With the infinite help from our families, friends, and strangers, I finally found you.”

I chose this article because its amazing to see how powerful the internet is. Its easy for us individuals no matter where we are to interact and connect with one another.

https://www.cnet.com/news/oakland-warehouse-fire-victim-facebook-photo/

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/facebook-helps-woman-find-long-lost-photo-of-her-boyfriend-a-victim-of-oakland-fire/367851925

One thought on “The Power of the Web

1. The power of the web is truly wonderful. I’m sure a lot of people have heard of the not so dissimilar story of the Mystery Girl and Vikings Fan. If you haven’t, what happened was the so called “Mystery Girl” more or less declared her love in a snapchat for a guy wearing a Vikings jersey whom she had seen in Library. She then posted the snap to the University of Wisconsin story. The Vikings fan replied. Through the campus story, the two were able two meet up, while being cheered on by other students on Snapchat, and receive internet fame for somewhere around 48 hours. There was even a filter for the whole thing that read “HELP VIKINGS FAN FIND MYSTERY GIRL”. They have apparently been hanging out almost every day since. So in summary, the powers of the internet are never ending. It can be a vast wealth of information and knowledge. It can be a source of entertainment. And maybe, it can even help create love. It’s just incredible to see how the internet is so great at being able to bring people together.