Smartphone will Become Obsolete by 2025

There is a big theory that by 2025, smartphones will become obsolete. The reasoning behind the disappearance of smartphones is due to advancements in augmented reality. Pearson stated, “If it’s 2025 and you have a smartphone, people will laugh at you” (BusinessInsider).

Technology is advancing more and more by the year, and soon there will be no inconvenience of holding your phone and losing it every second. A lot of professor’s theories are that there will be a tiny bracelet that pulls up a hologram screen in order to text and send phone calls. This way, you will not have to worry about bringing a physical device out with you.

Smartphone users believe artificial intelligence will take over many tasks that the smartphone does. In fact, artificial intelligence products are already starting to become popular as the Echo, Alexa, Siri, etc. are talking to their user’s and providing information to the users.

This is a big deal and a huge advancement if the smartphone does in fact become obsolete by 2025. This shows how fast technology is advancing and the power that technology has the ability to make on their user.

11 thoughts on “Smartphone will Become Obsolete by 2025

1. I have been a strong believer of this notion that the smartphone or handheld device is going to disappear and be replaced by some new innovation. Overall, not holding something in your hand constantly or worrying about it in your pocket seems like the next efficient step. Ever since the Apple Watch and other devices similar to it have been released, I have had this prediction that the phone will eventually have to become obsolete. Yes I think this just because of the simple innovations that will motivate consumers to move onto the next product. It is this idea of planned obsolescence that is driving the consumer onto the next product at a consistent rate.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/planned_obsolescence.asp

We are going to keep moving on to the next product no matter what. It is not just that the phone will become obsolete. All these new AI products will take over for the functionality but then there will be something new; as humans, we are now trained consumers to keep progressing in our product inventory. We are barely even aware of this in ourselves. Smartphones are one of the biggest proponents of this method of marketing, and that is a huge reason why they will become obsolete.

2. It’s crazy to think how fast the world of technology is changing, all due to the progression and emphasis on the Internet of Things (IoT), which focuses on making life more technology-connected. Although this idea seems to be controversial at the moment, the Internet of Things is already advancing in our lives more than we know, from your refrigerator at home to the car you drive to work everyday. We are surrounded by user-friendly devices that are making our lives simpler and safer because of voice-activated, touch-sensitive, and location-based devices. According to an article written for CNBC, “Innovation in smartphones will come in areas where it can play a role in the so-called Internet of Things (IoT), and that’s still very much in the center. Don’t be surprised if in five years if your smartphones look the same, but all of a sudden you’re talking to them a lot more, and they are able to control more of your internet-connected lives.” The tasks that smartphones are meant for could easily be replaced with the continued evolution and research about artificial intelligence. The world is changing rapidly, and smartphones are completely vulnerable to changing along with it.

Source – https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/27/smartphones-as-we-know-them-will-be-dead-in-five-years.html

3. This is a very interesting post. It has many good points, and it’s crazy to think that this may be true. Smartphones are such a necessity in people’s lives that it wouldn’t seem to normal to walk around every day with no phone. In an article by Business Insider, it says that “one day, not too soon… the smartphone will all but vanish.” Smartphones are very similar to computers, just smaller. You can look at smartphones as an upgraded version of a computer, so at some point, there is going to be an upgraded version of the smartphones. Artificial intelligence is taking over and it is in the introduction stage right now, but it is growing rapidly. In the future, there will be no need for carrying a smartphone around, In the article by Business Insider, it says “augmented reality could flat-out replace the smartphone.” Augmented reality can put everything on your phone right in front of you which would mean that a hand-held smartphone would not be necessary. There will be something better than the smartphone soon and when it comes we will gladly throw our smartphones away. It may not come in the next ten years, but it will come at some point because everyone’s goal is to make something that is better than everything else.

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/death-of-the-smartphone-and-what-comes-after-2017-3/

4. Although there is the advancement of augmented reality, I wouldn’t think smartphones would be obsolete. There are many times other applications one would use a smartphone, including games and certain apps. Although there was the mention of AI, like Alexa and Echo, they aren’t as portable as a smartphone. Additionally, I prefer to be able to look at things more in my own personal space rather than having to turn on a bracelet just to check something out. There is potential, however, that there could be more augmented realities that could be used with smartphones as well. Although it could be possible to have hologram screens to make calls and texts, they wouldn’t replace smartphones as there are many people using smartwatches while owning a smartphone. Overall, I feel smartphones will not die and continue to be a growing market, but there will be a lot of different new technologies that could do similar features, and some even better than smartphones. This argument would be like if someone was introduced the first laptop and said that “laptops will replace all desktop PCs”. Laptops continue to be a growing market, as well as other platforms such as the iPad, but there are still Desktop PCs being sold and used in many important businesses and activities.

5. I can’t imagine a 2025 timeframe for the “obsoleteness” of smartphones is viable. Futurists are always making bold claims like this. It remains to be seen how even if this technology becomes commercially available by 2025 that companies will be able to make it more scalable enough to by then to be purchased by the average middle-class consumer. The video we watched in class last Thursday had a pretty funny quote about how Tesla’s a essentially just a way to prove to someone that you can own a $120,000 car. Ideally we’d all be able to afford a Tesla but the fact of the matter is that it takes years for these technologies to become low enough in price that it becomes widespread. Self-driving cars are almost viable now but they pose cost-problems, coordination problems and policy problems that can’t really be ignored. Yes, I think that these technologies will be great and might even be available by 2025. But they are probably not worth the cost of switching from a smartphone at that point. And honestly, it’s not really fair to say that a Macbook is obsolete because supercomputers exist that might do way more but provides more functionality than the average consumer needs and is willing to pay for. And of course, there are always going to be those people ethically opposed to augmented reality and artificial intelligence (the latter being Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking).

http://time.com/4744303/will-smartphones-ever-be-obsolete/
    https://www.pcmag.com/commentary/350970/is-the-smartphone-already-obsolete

6. Not only is technology advancing quickly, but cell phone manufacturers are already pushing for everyone to have the newest smartphone. It is a widespread belief that iPhones are made to stop working after about two years so that the user upgrades to the newest version. I don’t find it surprising that in eight years smartphones will be obsolete. Eight years ago, I had my first cellphone, an enV2. That cellphone isn’t even made anymore and cellphones similar to it are few and far between. What I think is interesting, however, is that the company creating the device forces it to become obsolete. This Forbes article talks about how the smartphone we have now will be obsolete in two years because the hardware is only made to last two years. Based on that information, it isn’t surprising at all that smartphones in general will become a holographic image. iPhones have advanced a lot since they were first released in 2007, so it only makes sense that they will continue to advance until they are gone and something better is created.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/04/02/smartphone-obsolescence-android-iphone/#27bd8522fc85

7. I think we can all agree that it is really crazy how technology is advancing. With this, I have always believed in the idea that your phone or similar technology will all my on our wrists. Much like sci-fi movies, a band would display a holographic image of what used to be your phone. Even further down the road, I believe this is evolve into helmets with holographic lenses. I’m not sure why we would need to use helmets, but I can easily see it happening.
    Nevertheless, with all this, is this really good for society? Do we, as the most intellectual species on Earth, really need to rely on such technology? No. However, it is extremely convenient to use our technology. But when is enough, enough? There are going to be positive and negative results to every development, but where do you see our smartphone technology going? Is it positive or negative?

8. I agree that at some point smart phones will become obsolete, however, back in the 1990’s people thought we would all be flying cars and that cars, houses, machines, etc would be using 100% green, renewable energy and look how far we’ve gotten. I believe this technology will develop, but I don’t think it will be available within 10 years. I think it would be a great idea but there are numerous things wrong with something like a wrist wearable halogram. First, there is so much less privacy involved. Second, how is it going to work when theres a lot of sunlight or other various weather circumstances. I think the idea of the smart phone is evolving, but sometimes the old saying “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” goes a long way. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to carry a small, thin phone around? I think sometimes people are always just looking for the next thing and taking for granted what they already have in front of them.

9. It is interesting to think that a device that is so popular and so widely used around the world, may disappear completely in a decade or so. I do think that smart phones as we know them today will eventually be phased out, but it won’t go away entirely instead it will morph into some other form of a communication device with a multitude of functions. This whole process will start of with one innovation, much like how the original iPhone changed the cell phone/smart phone market, the same will happen when some company designs a better form smart phone/device. This product will slowly gain popularity, then as it becomes mainstream other companies will enter the market with variations of the device, thus creating a situation much like we have to day with the battle between Apple, Android and Samsung over market control of the smart phone market.

10. This article was really interesting to me, because I can’t imagine a time without a smart phone. My generation has almost grown up with cell phones, and essentially smartphones. I found an article from “Time” that essentially counters the information presented in the “Business Insider” article, and the author believes that the technology that powers smartphones will actually become more and more essential to our everyday lives in years to come. Instead of being replaced by augmented reality, this author suggests that the smartphone will “morph into a mobile computing device that provides the smarts of whatever interface device is feeding you information”. Practical methods for this advancement in the next (approximately) 8 years would be through smart glasses, digital voice, or something connected to your brain. I am also hesitant to agree with this viewpoint, due to the lack of success in introducing Google Glass. http://time.com/4744303/will-smartphones-ever-be-obsolete/

11. The thought of never caring around a smart phone or having it by my side when ever or where ever I go blows my mind. It is scary to think that this could all change within a decade. I am a little skeptical about some of the advances in technology due to security and health reasons, but as far as convince goes I think doing away with smartphones could be something I’m interested in. There would never be a need to remember to bring it places and the worries of charging it or losing it would diminish. Although creepy at first, I feel like it would be cool to put on a pair of glasses or wear a device that gives you all of the information hands free. By having devices like these instead of phones could be a lot safer for driving because it really would eliminate the use of handheld devices on the road and instead people could just speak and things would get sent and calls could be made in a safer way. I also believe it is important to think that we couldn’t expect smartphones to last forever; fax machines and pagers didn’t, why would these devices?

http://www.businessinsider.com/death-of-the-smartphone-and-what-comes-after-2017-3