New Artificial intelligence algorithm fools Captcha security check

Captcha imageComputer scientists have developed artificial intelligence that can outsmart the CAPTCHA website security check system. A CAPTCHA (an acronym for “Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart”) is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to determine whether or not the user is human. The technology was originally developed as an anti-spam measure by a team at Carnegie Mellon University. Researchers developed an algorithm that imitates how the human brain responds to these visual clues.
The neural network could identify letters and numbers from their shapes.
The research, conducted by Vicarious – a Californian artificial intelligence firm funded by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg – is published in the journal Science.
In 2013, Vicarious announced that it had cracked text-based Captcha tests used by Google, Yahoo, PayPal and Captcha.com with a 90% accuracy.
Since then, Captcha designers have made their tests more difficult to beat, but the researchers said in their new paper that the software was now able to pass Google’s reCaptcha test 66.6% of the time.
The RCN software was also able to solve reCaptacha tests from Captcha generator BotDetect at a 64.4% success rate, Yahoo Captchas at a 57.4% success rate and PayPal at a 57.1% success rate.
I feel the Two-Factor Authentication system, which is also used by our Penn State Login System, for employees, can be the best alternative for the Captcha system, since I couldn’t figure out any way of hacking this system. It might be time-consuming, as you’ll have to answer the call through your mobile or use the passcode sent to your mobile. What do you think? Is there any way of getting through this Two-Factor Authentication System?

3 thoughts on “New Artificial intelligence algorithm fools Captcha security check

1. This new AI technology is something that could show how it is possible to make an AI think more like a person by identifying things thoroughly. I would like to know more of the potential uses for this however, since having a robot to pass a captcha seems pointless so far as its only purpose is to prevent anti-spam. It could potentially bring new AI systems that could identify more abstract text or objects. It could also be used to counter hackers or malware by being able to identify them a lot easier based on how certain encrypted files look. As I have mentioned in one of my blog posts, malware writers are creating new ways to break into systems, so although the AI could be good to counter them, it could create more dangerous malware attacks on certain companies that don’t have this AI technology to identify them. Probably in the future we could see if it could branch off into newer and more efficient ideas. For now, I feel this technology is a breakthrough in AI, but has yet to serve any purpose.

2. Just like mam7488 said, I was very surprised to the accuracy of the software. If the software was used by someone not so altruistic, it would defenitely cause a lot of problems. Bots would be able to flood captcha’d sites easier, causing a mass influx of spam and disorganization. In addition, I agree that two-factor authentication would improve security if it were to become the standard. Two-factor authenitcaion requires that in order for a criminal/hacker to access whatever they are trying to, they need not only the highly insecure data (username and password), but they also require access to whatever physical device it is connected to. Stealing someones data online isn’t enough. Unless the criminal/hacker was highly talented, it is doubtful they were able to access both the data and physical object. Because of this, companies who have integrated two-factor authentication are more likely to be secure against possible security vulnerabilities.

Source:
    https://www.securenvoy.com/two-factor-authentication/what-is-2fa.shtm

3. Hearing that people have been able to pass through the CAPTCHA security check so accurately surprised me. I do however think that a two process check will definitely improve the hacking problem being done by certain programmers. The only thing that worries me is how long will it take for hackers to crack the two-factor authentication system? It seems like whenever programmers think they have finally solved a problem, hackers just outsmart them once again. I think that programmers have to realize that permanent fixes to hacking is never going to be a thing and that they can only slow them down until they have to make changes once again.