The New Way to Get Dressed

For quite some time, the world of clothing and how we get dressed had not been touched by the technology world. However, that is beginning to change. Technology is starting to break through that will allow people to have help from virtual assistants when picking outfits and shopping.

An example of a virtual assistant can be seen with Amazon’s Echo Look. The Look will help you choose an outfit by taking a photo of you in two different options and selecting the best choice. The shape of the device allows it to get a full body picture. Some of the elements that the device takes in consideration are style, fit, seasons, etc.

Although the technology may seem convenient and make your mornings a little easier, after being testing, the device usually produces a great result or the complete opposite. The consistency level does not seem to be there. Taylor Okata, a personal stylist, thinks that although the new technology could be useful, he does not think it will jeopardize his career. There are certain things real people can do that a device will never be able to when it comes to fashion.

Another company that seems to be attempting to change the shopping experience is Obsess VR. They are using augmented reality platforms to let people shop for products without having to go to a physical location.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/13/technology/future-of-fashion-tech/index.html

10 thoughts on “The New Way to Get Dressed

1. i think it is very interesting that technology can help people from virtual assistants when picking outfits and shopping. It is good for us when you are shopping online. You can see if this jacket fits you and what is the look after you dressing it. But in daily life, it is fun to pick up clothes and find a good way to arrange in pairs. Each people have each style, the machine could not find which you really like. However, when I am busy, it is a good choice for me to use technology to help me pick up clothes. Such as in a school day morning, in the final week. In these time, it will make my life easier.
    This technology will be a trend and it will help the people who do not like picking clothes and online shopper.

2. I really like the point spm5423 about how this could be used for people who are colorblind. Other than this though, I don’t really see people using this. I especially don’t see myself using it. I think it is a cool feature to have on a device, but it is not worthy of it’s own device. Style and fashion are also things that are always changing and I think the best judges for this are humans. I know when I dress myself, I like to dress how I want to dress, because I like my own opinion most in this area. Style/fashion is a form of expression for a lot of people and having a virtual assistant choose your outfits can defeat the whole purpose. However, the VR shopping is a great idea I think and I could definitely see myself and a lot of others utilizing this technology.

3. I do not see a strong application for this technology, however, it may help people with color blindness and things like that put together an outfit that “goes.” This is a smart move by Amazon though, because they are further entering the world of “smart homes,” and would be able to acquire more data about each consumer. From that standpoint, I think this is a great idea, I just do not see the practical applications.

4. In my opinion, I think a service like this can be very effective. There’s a lot of days when you don’t know what will look good and be comfortable at the same time in a picture. And this can be perfect for those days. I think the video aspect of Amazon Echo Look is also a very beneficial feature. This allows you to have a live stream on your phone of the camera thats right in front of you. This allows you to see the front and back of your outfit and make sure everything is exactly how you want it. Even though these features are cool, “style check” has the most effective appeal to me because it can take a picture of you, and then show experts in the fashion industry to get their recommendations based on current trends and what flatters you. Even though I love this product, I think the aspect of human opinion has not been factored in. Naturally, all of us have different tastes in what we like and dislike, so it is inevitable that not everyone will enjoy this product if they don’t agree with the certain styles this has to offer.

5. I’m not sure if I would use a device like this. For me, part of the fun of dressing nice is trying to pick out an outfit. No one’s personal style is quite the same and I’m not sure if this technology would be effective for millions of users. However, I think if they can work of the kinks in the technology, it definitely has the potential to make a dent in the market. I do see some people using this technology in the future, just to save some time in the morning.

6. While this idea seems interesting, I do not think it will become something that is successful. I do not think this is something that people will want to spend their money on. I think without this specific technology people still have equally effective ways of determining what outfits look good such as Pinterest, the internet etc. I also agree with the fact that when it comes to fashion people are way more capable of pairing outfits together and figuring out what looks good than machines will ever be. I think there are certain things that machines/technology is better off doing and that there are some things that people are better off doing. I think fashion skills and technology should not be paired together. This technology reminds me of something on the OPI app. It is an app for the nail polish company OPI that I used to use. Basically, you are able to select a nail color you like from a bunch of swatches and then take a picture of your hand and the swatch puts it on your nails for you so that you can see if the color looks good with your skin tone. While these technologies are not exactly the same, there are definitely some similarities. I did not like the OPI app because the color swatches on the app never really matched what they looked like in real life. This is probably why I think things like fashion and accessorizing should not be paired with technology.

7. I think this is a very cool idea. I had no idea that Amazon Echo could have this feature. Personally, I would not use this because I think humans can decide what looks better on them rather than a device showing you a full body pictures and comparing them. I do not think this provides more convenience than trying on the clothes and deciding for yourself. Especially because after testing the device was said “the consistency level does not seem to be there”. I think this technology is definitely a cool idea and useful for some people but personally I do not see any use for this. I think it may also encourage laziness for a simple task such as picking out your outfit in the morning.

8. This was such an interesting topic and article Leanne! As someone who is really into personal style and fashion, I think this new technological innovation could be great. A lot of the times when I am out shopping I never really know exactly what I am looking for and I often need a second opinion before I actually purchase something. Having a stylist who can pick things out and all I have to do is see if I like it will make going to the mall a breeze. There has actually been something created that attempts to take on a virtual stylist called TruckClub that I recently discovered. It is an innovation that is relatively new to Nordstroms which allows users to take a survey/questionnaire and fill out information about themselves on their personal style. After going through the questionnaire, you are matched with a personal stylist who puts together a box of clothes they think you will love. Each month, you are sent a different box with different clothing in it and you can cancel your subscription at any time. I recently got my first box and I was nothing be pleased with it. They really were able to capture the style that I was going for and give me clothes that also fit into my budget. So, I think that technology in fashion will be a great thing and it will make shopping a breeze.

9. Hi Leanne! Your post has introduced me to motives in technology that I have never hear of before, I was unaware that Amazon’s Echo was now playing a role in a persons style. As someone who is very into personal style and clothing it was interesting for me to see that technology is somehow finding it’s way into the heart of our own bedroom. Initially, I am receptive to this idea as sometimes when I get dressed in the morning it is hard for me to pick out an outfit, especially if my roommates are not home to give me advice. I do however find fault with it in the idea that we will begin to get marketed based on what is in our closet or what our body types look like. This for me, personally crosses the line and I do not think that I would employ an Amazon Echo in my own home.

10. I think technologies in the world of clothing is just emerging and with that we have to take with it the good, and the bad. I believe Amazon’s Echo Look would be a great household item for people who have trouble knowing what looks good together. The reviews are going to be mixed with new ideas, but it is truly subjective if a person thinks they look good or not, a computer cannot. Another clothing technology that I’ve noticed emerging are websites that assign a person to be your “stylist” and pick out clothing according to things as the Echo Look took into consideration like fit, style, and season. The website Stichfix.com does exactly this, and they let you return the clothing if you don’t like it.