The new way of getting dressed

Amazon has released a new gadget that helps you get dressed called the Echo Look. Not only can the device tell you the weather and play music, it has a voice-controlled camera for taking photos of you and works with an app to help you with your outfits. After taking your picture in multiple outfits, it uses a stye check tool to compare them based on algorithms of machine learning technology and human opinion to decide which one is best.

Amazon has fashion specialist that train the software to consider fit, style, color, season, and current trends. It can also suggest similar style and brands to buy. Retail experts say that Echo Look’s success will depend on the whether the value of the device is greater than asking a friend or other human for fashion advice.

I think that it is really cool that we can make technology like this, however I think we are solving a problem that doesn’t exist. I don’t really think people need a $200 device to tell them fashion advice.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/13/technology/future-of-fashion-tech/index.html

7 thoughts on “The new way of getting dressed

1. While I think that a device telling you what not to and what to wear may be solving a very mundane problem, I still think that this device can be very useful. As someone who rarely dresses up for the sole purpose that they’re lazy, I think that this device can come in handy. A self dresser can not only save those on a tight schedule time in the morning and take all the thought out of trying to create an outfit, but perhaps, aid you in what to buy as it can show you what clothes will look like on your body. I think that with that feature, it can end up saving people a lot more money and time than it costs. I have many times had things that I’ve bought online come in that I don’t like on my body and I think that this device could have come in handy. Similarly, I believe in the look-good, feel-good mindset where if I am looking put together for the day, I feel better about myself and feel that I can accomplish a lot in my day. Research has confirmed this as well. A device where I would barely have to think about putting together an outfit could be a real lifesaver to myself and others.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-dressing-for-success-leads-to-success-1456110340

2. Personally, I think this is very interesting. Even though I don’t see myself using this product, I see this being very successful in the near future for many reasons. Even before Amazon released the Echo Look, the original Echo already had so many great features to it. The fact that one product can turn on the lights in your house or unlock the front door is nearly unfeasible. That said, concerning the Echo Look, I think its crazy that this product can help an individual see what they would look like in certain outfits. Another aspect to this product that amazes me is its ability to suggest multiple outfits if you don’t like the one it gives you. While we have been studying Amazon and a few other big name companies like Google and Facebook, I am not surprised that Amazon can satisfy us like the Amazon Echo look has. Even the fact that you can tell it to take pictures of you is mind blowing. Due to these reasons, I am so eager to see what the Amazon Echo Look has in store for the next few years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2017/04/27/why-amazon-really-created-echo-look-a-camera-in-your-bedroom-and-bathroom/#71150ecb37cf

3. I also agree with your last statement regarding people’s need for this rather pricey device. A benefit of this device would definitely be the weather feature, that could help people plan their outfits according to the weather forecast for the entire day. This would be especially helpful in PA where the weather is so unpredictable. However, my concern with this device is that it wouldn’t sell that well because of its high price point, as well as it being difficult for a computer program to tell people what to wear. I agree that this would take some stress out of deciding what to wear, but I do not believe that it would ever be a widely-used product.

4. I am so excited to know that Amazon has released a new gadget that helps people get dressed. This design is very humanized. In this generation, we have a lot of devices be designed by the high newest technology but not very humanized to individuals. In the other words, those devices or products only very smart but not necessary we need to use or we do not need to use. This product designed by Amazon is exactly what we need! Firstly, the function or main purpose of this product is help people to have a good look, to save the time when people is struggling about the cloth and do not know how to wear in special situation. Secondly, the way to use this product is very easy. Thirdly, the design of this product can engage customers, like it has the back ground music. The last, Amazon can got benefit from this product because Amazon can show how nice when people wear the cloth which be sold on Amazon. People would easily be willing to buy items on the Amazon. Customers are happy and Amazon got more money which can called the “Double-Win”.

5. It will be very interesting to see if Amazon will have success with this product. As stated I believe this doesn’t solve any problem since we can reach out to others for outfit advice but then again we all spend money on products and items we don’t really need. I think the success will be based on how accurate the results are based on the individual. I find it hard to believe that it will be extremely accurate based on the individual but who knows with the rate technology is developing at. The other deciding factor will be what else it does. I don’t know if the outfit advice is worth $200 but if you can make several other uses out of it like the original echo such as getting the weather every morning, setting reminders, listening to music, etc. I think there is massive potential. Amazon is very a successful and constantly innovating company therefore I believe they would not be advertising and developing this product if they did not see huge potential in it and sales potential at that price. I am looking forward to seeing the Amazon Echo Look hit the market.

-Jack Subers

6. Hi, I decided to comment on this post because I struggle with this almost every morning when I’m getting ready to go to class. The weather at state college is so unpredictable lately, being in between fall and winter almost. I can look at my weather app and it tells me the temperature, but I’m never really sure of how warm or not to dress on my walk to class. I think that this is a good idea, but I’m not sure if I would ever buy it. I usually just ask my roommates if they’ve been outside and if not, that sucks, but I use my best judgement. It would be a nice thing to wake up to in the morning though, your clothes already picked out, with music you like playing. It would take some stress out of your morning and make it one less decision you have to make. I also agree with the comment above, anything connected to the internet has the ability to get hacked, so your mirror photos could get hacked, but thats unlikely and you indulge in that same risk by owning a laptop with a webcam.

7. I totally agree with the last statement you made that we don’t need a $200 device to tell us how to dress. I do really like the concept of it though, having a device that tells you specifically want to wear according to the weather or your sense of style is pretty cool. One aspect that I feel a little scared of and is basically the whole idea is the voice-controlled camera. Just like regular devices like laptops and phones, they’re all susceptible to infiltrators and hackers. So this device could basically take pictures of the area that it is in whenever it wants and for however long it wants. Becuase any device connected to the internet has the chance to be hacked.