Is Cyber Monday cancelling Black Friday?

Every year after Thanksgiving Day, stores and providers all over the country have extremely crazy deals on their products on a day known as Black Friday. People tend to head to stores and malls early in the morning and wait for stores to open. This day is very scary as you can see people fighting each other over products and also trampling people to get into stores. Retailers tend to say that this the busiest day of the year. A few years back, an online shopping version of the same thing was created formerly known as Cyber Monday. As years passed, CM has grown and grown and people are not coming out for BF as much as they did in the past. This year alone, CM has made Monday, November 27th, 2017, the first $2 billion dollar online sales day in the history of the country and also proved that 72% of shoppers shopped on CM instead of BF. Even news reporters that were forced to work BF in the early morning were seen standing outside of malls at 5-6am by themselves when in history there used to be thousands of people lined up outside of malls by that time.

Do you think Cyber Monday will eventually be the demise of Black Friday?

Do you think online shopping will eventually contribute to the end of in-store retail?

To read more than this topic please see the links below…

https://www.recode.net/2017/11/28/16710490/cyber-monday-2017-2-billion-mobile-online-shopping-record

https://www.retaildive.com/news/study-cyber-monday-now-more-popular-than-black-friday/505661/

13 thoughts on “Is Cyber Monday cancelling Black Friday?

1. This is a really interesting point about the conflict between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. All these two great sales events are causing network crashes and stores are being packed with people. I’m also a big fan of these two events. And I want to bring out an interesting thing that I found during this recent Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The thing is the sales and coupons aren’t only available on Black Friday. It usually last for about 2 or 3 days which is very close to next event which is Cyber Monday. So I believe that gradually these two events will become one because they are basically the same. In my opinion, these two events aren’t cancelling each other, they are helping each other by extending the duration of sales time which will definitely solve the problems of network crashes and full house in stores.

2. Even though the popularity of Cyber Monday has been increasing in the past few years and is poised to overtake Black Friday in shear dollars spent, I don’t believe it will kill Black Friday, but more of evolve the event. I believe this because Black Friday is very good for publicity. Having hundreds of people standing outside your stores is good for the company as it makes people believe your store has good deals and desirable products. In addition, Black Friday is mainly for brick and mortar stores which includes small and local businesses that might not have a strong web presence. Because of this, I believe Black Friday will still exist along with Cyber Monday, but rather than a single day it will be a week long event like Cyber Monday is for Amazon. We are already seeing this slowly with stores beginning there was at 6 pm Thanksgiving day. As for Cyber Monday, I believe it will increase in popularity especially in mobile purchases as time goes by, but I don’t it will have the same deals as Black Friday has simply due to price discrimination in different areas.

3. Cyber Monday is the new Black Friday. No question about it. The convenience you are offered is no match for waiting outside in the cold for hours just to save a few bucks when you could do the same thing a couple days later in the comfort of your own home. I think traditional retailers have known this for a while too. And they keep trying to find ways to incentivize customers to go out and shop still. They keep moving the times up earlier and earlier that it usually starts as early as 6 on Thursday. Also, Cyber Monday is pressuring online retailers to offer more sales like this throughout the year. Amazon already started a new deal promotion called 12 Days of Deals with a different category of deals every day for Christmas. Not only are online deals like Cyber Monday putting pressure on traditional retailers, but also themselves to have deals throughout the year.

4. I think this is becoming more and more true every year. However, I don’t think cyber monday will ever completely overtake black friday. There will always be people who will rather go to stores just to see what they may want if it’s marked down. Also, most people know that cyber monday is keeping people from going on black friday. So, that might get people to go just because there will be fewer people going.

5. This is a really interesting topic and brings up a great point. I personally believe that Cyber Monday will slowly be the demise of Black Friday. Black Friday was this fun event, however, in recent years doors aren’t opening up on Friday early morning but instead on Thanksgiving (Macy’s opened at 5pm this Thanksgiving.) This has bothered many people because the deals they were hoping to get are no longer available unless they skip the holiday. This has lead people to give up on Black Friday in general and shop primarily on Cyber Monday where they can do so from he comfort of their home. Not only comfort, but shopping online has more of a variety, you can find the item you need with a click of a button. Comparing prices is also much easier, you can easily and quickly go to a new website to see how the competitor is pricing their items. This also saves time, if a person went out to physical stores to get the items if they wanted to compare items they would have to waste time and drive time to the other location where at that point, they have likely ran out of the item since stores only stock limited big ticket items. These limited quantities have angered people in the past who have waited in line for hours only to not get their item they wanted. Thats the benefit of Cyber Monday, each item has generally more in stock so the likelihood of getting one is greater without having to wait in line for hours at end. My only concern with Cyber Monday is websites crashing, however, I believe that with time as Black Friday loses popularity ways to prevent crashing will come to surface in the IT world.

6. This is a very good point. I was actually having this same discussion with my family over Thanksgiving break. I told them I was going Black Friday shopping and I was told to just wait for Cyber Monday. My family seemed to have the belief that Cyber Monday is taking over Black Friday. I however, do not feel this way. I know that I personally prefer to actually shop in a store than to shop online. I only use online shopping for convenience purposes. I like to actually see, touch and try on the product I am buying. This to me is much more efficient than ordering something, waiting for it to come and running the risk of not liking the product/having it not fit. I also like the overall experience of Black Friday itself. There are always so many things going on in stores and malls. Also, I love to see all the Christmas decorations especially the day after Thanksgiving to get into the holiday spirit. There are so many things that Black Friday has that Cyber Monday can’t offer to consumers. I think a lot of people would feel this way as well. I think that online shopping in general has caused in store shopping to decrease overall but I don’t think anything is going to stand in the way of Black Friday.

7. This is actually a really interesting topic. Personally I think Cyber Monday is gradually replacing Black Friday. I can use my own experience as an example. I went to New York City this Thanksgiving, and I was going to buy some random stuff to experience Black Friday in person. When the stores opened on Black Friday, I find it hard to even get in those stores. There are people everywhere on the street and in the malls, I think it was a miracle that I literary survived for an hour in the shopping mall and finally get back to the hotel, opened my laptop, and started looking for deals online. It is true that for some products, people have to look and feel in person, but this is not needed to be done exactly on Black Friday. People can just go and see those products before Black Friday, choose what they want, go back home and wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday to purchase them online. It is also easier to brose products online than in person. Maybe we have to spend a whole day to explore what they have in a mall, but we can look through everything in a few hours online. What’s more, the prices are clearer online, there are even some deals has been marked online only. Other than experience the atmosphere of Black Friday, I cannot think of more reasons not shopping online. If we can just wait at home and get everything in a single click, why should we go to malls and fight with the crowd.?

8. This is a good article; however, I do not believe that Cyber Monday will be the demise of Black Friday. There are certain goods that many people would rather buy in person then through a computer screen online. For example, people who want to buy a new phone, or a TV, or a couch are not going to want to take the chance and order online without seeing, feeling, or testing the product they want. For me, I use cyber Monday to order little things I know will work for me or things I do not need to try on. Such as a phone case, extension cord, dorm lights, etc. Cyber Monday does not have the capability of taking over Black Friday because so many people do not have a problem going to the store to buy what you need. Especially because it is one day of the year where every store has incredible discounts. Personally I enjoy going to the store and seeing the items for myself, making sure they will work for me. Also, if you can’t find what you are looking for in the store, you can look online on Cyber Monday. I think there is too much of a market that would be neglected if Black Friday did not exist.

9. This is a good point to bring up, especially now during the increased sales and cheap pricing during this time of year coming from Amazon and many online shopping providers. It used to be where many camped outside stores and crowds of people would rush around trying to find their desired products, but it now seems as though the tables have turned and that online shopping, especially during Cyber Monday has taken over. Many find it to be more convenient as well as there being more variety online, which is why many shop online in the first place. But others prefer to physically obtain the product and have it within that same day and eliminate the wait, so it’s whatever the consumer prefers. I do, however, find it concerning that some websites have crashed as a result and hopefully this solution should be taken care of in the near future for online shoppers. It completely depends on what you prefer for shopping in general, but I do believe that online shopping during Cyber Monday will continue to increase in sales and take over Black Friday as companies progress.

10. This is a very good topic. I believe that in the future Cyber Monday will eventually cause the decline of Black Friday shopping. Over the past years, online eCommerce has become very prominent. Everything online has become prominent over the opposing option (going to stores, going to the movies). Because the internet is becoming more convenient as time progresses, I will not be surprised if Black Friday shopping becomes a blast of the past. However, I am a little skeptical of how fast this will happen because there are still a great deal of people who enjoy the rush of Black Friday shopping in person. As long as websites are able to accomplish a shopping space that does not get overcrowded and causes technical issues, I can see a continuous growth of Cyber Monday shopping. In my opinion, I think Black Friday shopping is not in that much danger of becoming apart of the past because of the popularity and traditional value it has currently. I have noticed that previously, Cyber Monday sales are lasting longer than Black Friday sales. To combat that, I have noticed that both sells are now lasting up to 4 days long. I work in retail and I have been able to come to a conclusion of the growing sales for the company I work for. In reflection, Black Friday Sales and Cyber Monday Sales are constantly competing with each other.

11. I think that this is a really interesting point! I noticed this year when I went Black Friday shopping, there was a fewer amount of people out at the malls than there had been in previous years. Cyber Monday is a concept that I think will definitely end up replacing Black Friday in years to come. With our society moving to a more digital realm, online shopping can be seen as easier and more efficient for many. The positives include not having to wait in the long check out lines, being able to buy things from the comfort of your home and being able to buy from many places at once. However, one negative thing that I saw people talking about on Twitter was that they Cyber Monday deals were not nearly as good as the ones in store on Black Friday. If Cyber Monday was to replace Black Friday, companies would really have to make sure that their customers are getting the same discounts regardless if its in-store or online.

12. I think this is interesting, especially since the increase in website traffics on Cyber Monday have caused website crashes. Take J.Crew for example. On monday, J.Crew slashed their prices online by 40%. This great price cut, while enticing, caused a crash at only 12 pm (mid-day) on monday. Many customers were concerned they were going to miss out on deals, which just goes to show how seriously cyber monday has become in American society.

Many other companies had web crashes or issues on cyber monday, including HP, Newegg, Victoria’s Secret, Shutterfly, Saks, and Footlocker.