Signature Solution?

Mastercard and Discover customers will not have to sign their John Hancock when making purchases beginning in 2018. The companies believe technology has advanced to where customers will remain safe enough to use even without the implementation of a signature at checkout. Among these security techniques are dual-authentication, biometrics, and the chip that is present on all newly issued cards. In addition to these measures being taken, some argue this decision should have occurred awhile ago either because of negligence by cashiers not comparing signatures as they are supposed to do and/or how prevalent online shopping has become and that it does not require a signature. The elimination of this process will speed up the check out process and make customers more happy in doing so.

Gartenberg, C. (2017, December 07). Discover is the latest major credit card company to do away with signatures. Retrieved December 10, 2017, from https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/7/16747876/discover-credit-card-no-signature-april-2018

No more signing on the dotted line. (2017, October 19). Retrieved December 10, 2017, from https://newsroom.mastercard.com/2017/10/19/no-more-signing-on-the-dotted-line/

2 thoughts on “Signature Solution?

1. This idea is long overdue. Many times when purchasing things with my card if do not even sign my name, many times in fact I draw a smiley face or something of that nature. The removal of the signature will only help customers in the future. As for the ways proposed to verify a person other than a signature, I not exactly sure how biometrics would be used at a cash register. Many smart watches allow you to pay by simply tapping your watch on the payment pad and I believe that is a more realistic way to handle the authentication process.

2. From my point of view, I totally agree with this solution. Because when I use my credit cards, sometimes it is hard to go through the process when it is required a signature. I think it is a good due to solve this problem when we feel safe about it without a signature. But in the other word, others can also use our cards without the signature when we lose it. It is kind of good sounds for me, but we need to more careful to keep our cards.