Save Kids From The Internet Addiction

With the highly development of internet, electronic devices become more and more popular and prevalent. As the big data era coming, internet has become a part of people’s life. There are no longer complicate processes to use the internet product. Therefore, not only for adults, even young kids can use them very well nowadays. They provide a “window” for children to learn knowledge and expand the horizon. However, at the same time, there are problem caused by no limited using internet products.

One of the most serious problem is Internet addition, which is a global problem.In South Korea, “Up to 30 percent of South Koreans under 18, or about 2.4 million people, are at risk of Internet addiction, said Ahn Dong-hyun, a child psychiatrist at Hanyang University in Seoul who just completed a three-year government-financed survey of the problem.” As you see, the South Korean is suffering serious internet addiction problem. Therefore, the national government has generated a program to help children and teenagers “go outside” the internet. There are two parts of this program curriculum design: one is education training, and the other one is the activities training. The object of education training is awaking children’s cognition about the internet. Teenagers who addict on internet cannot realize it is a bad thing for them, so helping them to better understanding the disadvantages of addicting on the internet will solve the problem from the root. In addition, the activities training will help children join the outsides activities, like paying the sports and communicating with people. Thought it is too early to conclude weather this program has dramatically effect to cope the internet addiction, it is a good attempt for the South Korean government to cure internet addition kids.

The other controversy problem about electronic devices is whether young children should be allowed to use electronic devises at class. It is obvious the disadvantages of using electronic products at school are overwhelming that the advantages of it. For example, many kids are addicting themselves on the computer games. This distracts their attention from teachers and class. Also, some kids are addicting on social media that makes them live in a fiction world a loss the ability to communicate with people in real life. So far, many European countries have enacted policies or lawyer to forbidden students carry electronic devices on school. For example, in 2016, Italy overturned its own ban on phones in school and Education Minister Valeria Fedeli has said that smartphones “are an extraordinary tool to facilitate learning.” “In the German state of Bavaria, a ban was put in place on the use of phones on school grounds in 2006 after police found pornography and violent images on devices seized from students in two different towns. But that ban is being challenged and the policy may be modified this year.” It is reasonable to ban cellphone or laptop on class, because the research shows students will have better academic performance without using cellphones and laptops on class.

In conclusion, it is the time to find some ways to protect our next generation away from the “toxin” of the Internet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/tecnology/18rehab.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/france-grapples-whether-ban-cellphones-schools-n836371

6 thoughts on “Save Kids From The Internet Addiction

1. Pingback: How to Help Your Kids Avoid a Technology Addiction

2. sadnkadklI think this article is a very important topic to talk about, especially in my generation. While phones have many benefits, they can also negatively impact one’s life. For example, a common problem for teenagers is being on their phone so much that they are not REALLY with the people around them, especially when going out for dinner or somewhere. Being glued to your phone 24/7 ultimately lessens human interaction and can become a very distracting device for you in your daily life when trying to complete homework or study for a test. As a whole, we need to work on our phone consumption because it’s an increasingly concerning problem with how addicted people are getting. I know personally I need to make an active effort to be on my phone less and in the moment more. Here are some ways to combat this problem: http://theweek.com/articles/688639/5-sciencebacked-ways-break-phone-addiction

3. I can see both sides to this argument very clearly. On one hand I believe the children growing up in today’s world need to start out using the internet at a fairly young age, in my opinion maybe around the age of 4 or 5, simply to keep up with their peers in an age where digital literacy will continue to grow and be an ultimate high by the time these kids are older, in high school, in College, and then when they are looking for a job.
    However, I also very clearly see the damaging effects of young children starting to use electronic devices and the internet at such a young, impressionable, not to mention developmental age. We can see the effects of this in the simplest of gestures, like a child turning down the opportunity to go outside and play and instead desiring to stay inside to play a video game or watch a YouTube video. I think the answer lies not in banning electronic devices from kids’ lives but instead work on good time management with them, limiting technology and internet, and using them for good in these children’s lives.
    I found much of the same information that was in your article on the homepage of the Net Addiction website (The center for internet addiction), it expanded on the troubling epidemic of internet addiction in South Korea and expanded on the information on how South Korea plans to protect their children from overusing technology and the Internet. According to them around 90% of children from the age 3 to 5 will start to learn in kindergartens about how to control their usage of digital devices and the danger that comes with staying online for long hours.
    While I do not think it should be allowed for a 7-year-old to whip out a personal computer or tablet and have unhindered access to the internet while in class, I do believe that we could start to use electronic devices in classrooms to help kids learn how to use the internet. Not only would using computers and other electronic devices in class help children learn to navigate the internet responsibly but we could also use it as an opportunity to teach kids about time management and responsible internet use. I don’t think banning the use of electronic devices and internet access in school is the way to go about curing the internet addiction. Instead, educating children about responsible internet use could be a better alternative.
    http://netaddiction.com/childrenonline/

4. I agree with the author in sayin that the Internet has given the world countless ways to growth and expand one’s education. Along with the numerous positive aspects of the Internet, there is one main concern with using too much of the Internet too often. Internet addiction is prevalent in the world today and affects not only adults, but also children. Thinking about how often I use the Internet today, I thought that I too could be considered an addict to the Internet. I then decided to see if there were any test/quizzes available to take to see if I was considered addicted to the Internet or not. I used this quiz that I found on the Internet to see what the result might be: https://www.psycom.net/internet-addiction-test-quiz

The results stated that there was a moderate indication that I was addicted to the Internet based on the answers I had provided. The test stated that I had symptoms that were common with those who have a problematic Internet use. These symptoms include trouble falling sleep at night and proceeding to look a phone screen or laptop and irritation of the eyes form looking at those screens for too long. I believe that today’s society along with future generations to come should try to limit how much they use the Internet. Rather then being glued to our phones all day long, we should try to interact with other people involving face to face interactions instead of only connecting via text or social media. Although the Internet has helped the world connect in many ways, it has also disconnected the world by limiting physical human interaction.

5. I agree with the author. Internet is a good tool for learning and expanding horizon if young people use it properly. However, young kids spend so much time on social media and computer games. Also, young kids may have access to some information that is not appropriate for them such as pornography and violent images. These harmful data directly or indirectly influence our generation in a negative way.
    To prevent internet addiction is not an easy task, as many adults have strong internet addiction as well. The best way to prevent young kids having internet addiction is to set up parents control on the devices such as television, cellphone, or computer. As parents have more experience dealing with the information on the internet, they can decide what they want their kids to see from the internet. Also, parents should encourage their kids to go out and play sports with other kids rather than sitting in front of the computers and chatting online.
    About using electronic devices in class, it is beneficial for college students to study in class, but even college students can be distracted when they use their laptops during class. Thus it is certainly not a good idea for young kids. As kids can hardly self-control, when they have access to electronic devices, they may overuse the devices on other aspects rather than for study.
    In conclusion, parents’ control is the key to prevent young kids from having internet addiction, and not using electronic devices in class can make students study better.

6. I completely agree. Internet, gaming, and social media have taken over children’s lives at such a young age. The technology advancements are great and definitely beneficial, but now it has caused kids to become less social. Technology has made kids only have interactions with their computer screens rather then their family and friends. Kids are spending less time paying attention to those around them especially in a school setting. Their has become an addiction to the glowing screen of iPhones, tablets, and game systems. Children have completely disregarded playing outside and would rather watch Youtube videos in the comfort of their couch. This is bad for children to not be active and their needs to be a change. In an article in USA Today they found just that.

In this article it introduces the new application called, Screen. Screen is a way for parents to control their children’s usage of electronics. It does not matter where your kids are, the parent can control their time usage no matter what. This application can control iPhones, tablets, computers, gaming systems, and even the television. It can be used on any iPhone or Android. This idea has been tried many times, but the difference is that Screen allows for different set of rules to be placed. For example, parents can let their children use the internet for homework, while shutting off other distracting devices like their iPhone. The app is installed on kids devices, with a protecting password so they can not turn off the system. TV and gaming systems are plugged into an HTMI in order to track their time. If the children try to get rid of the system or turn it off the parent is immediately warned of such activity and all systems will shut down in 5 minutes. Another useful part for parents is that they can monitor what their children are doing on their devices. They can see what applications they were opening while on their iPhone, etc. This app is said to come out mid-year and pre-orders are already in place. I feel this new form of technology would be good for parents to help stop their children from over using their electronics. This may help the problem and get kids to go outside rather than look at a screen all day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2016/02/02/first-look-startup-helps-parents-control-kids-screen-time/79698414/