Victorinox Lexicon Hardside Frequent Flyer Smart Suitcase

Victorinox Lexicon Hardside Frequent Flyer Smart Suitcase is a new way to travel with technology! This suitcase has a USB port with a preinstalled cable to charge in any electronics; such as phones, computers, headphones, fitbit, and another devices with a USB plug. The bag has a pocket for a battery pack, so you can be fully charged at all points during your travel. Sim card pins to change your carrier which is extremely easy and accessible when abroad. The suitcase also includes a combination lock for an easy way to keep safety precautions when traveling. It has an ID tag and tray for easy identification. The suitcase is scratch resistant. This helps the suitcase last awhile and stay in good condition, which is good because it is reliably expensive for a suitcase.

This suitcase is ideal for someone who travels often and  wants their technology easy and accessible. I think this suitcase is a good idea and can be very helpful. Since the cost of it is more than your average suitcase, it’s up to the individual how important they feel these emanates are. I don’t feel that I need this suitcase, but would I understand and encourage if a person who travels a lot would.

https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/g864/cool-tech-products-you-need/?slide=7

5 thoughts on “Victorinox Lexicon Hardside Frequent Flyer Smart Suitcase

1. I think this suitcase is only good for carry on. The battery pack might cause problem because different flights have different restriction of the size of battery. So, most likely, this suitcase cannot be checked in. That’s not convenient for some situations. Besides, I hope customs can open the combination lock easily, or it would be another problem. Additionally, people have limit choices for the appearance of this type of suitcases. This might be a problem for those who like fashion. And most likely, all the carry-on cases have to be put on the top shelf during flight. Nobody want to charge phone there. So, maybe a similar suitcase with a mobile battery bank is better. But anyway, someone travel a lot still might like this suitcase. Rimowa introduced a smart case with a small smart upgrade without losing luxury, but the price is just too high.
    https://www.boatinternational.com/luxury-yacht-life/lifestyle/travel-tech-the-best-smart-luggage-for-frequent-flyers–36377

2. I think this technology is just the tip of the iceberg in the travel industry. While this specific suitcase has a lot of great features, there are a lot more features that could make it better. This article https://www.cio.com/article/2946552/consumer-electronics/10-smart-luggage-options-for-tech-savvy-travelers.html#slide2 creates tons of state of the art technology that makes life easier for traveling professionals. My favorite one featured in the article was the Andiamo IQ which has a built in WiFi hotspot and a scale to make sure your bag isn’t overweight. It even hooks up to an up which makes it even more convenient. It’s so exciting to see how tech is changing the way we travel.

3. For some reason, this reminded me of the exploding Samsung phone from several years ago. The phone, released in 2013, was eventually recalled and killed off because of how problematic it was. According to the article I pulled up, the phone exploded because the victim was using wifi, blutetooth and GPS at the same time. With something like the “Flyer Smart Suitcase,” I see a lot of potential problems. A suitcase with so many features, especially the battery pack and cables, I feel like something is bound to go wrong. If the cables get tangled, if the suitcase is in an environment that’s too hot, if liquid gets spilled on any of the “smart” part of the luggage… I feel like someone could easily get hurt.

https://www.cnet.com/news/watch-as-samsung-phone-explodes-in-a-mans-shirt-pocket/

4. I also see other problems with this kind of suitcase. The first would be TSA assuming that your suitcase is a bomb because of the technology behind it. A quick google search for “powerbank bomb” reveals plenty of stories where TSA assumed a powerbank was a bomb. And while I disagree with the previous comment on the sentiment to just “use the airline outlets” (there are never any available?), I totally see the reasoning to just BUY a powerbank.
    Now, if we are set on enabling our luggage with technology, I feel like there is a way to use it for more than just charging. The luggage could have tracking in it, so with an app on your phone you could track it if it gets lost or know exactly when it will show up in the luggage bay. They sell these separately but for a steep price of $50-60. It could have a scale, so you know how much your luggage weighs before going to the airport. Again, they sell them separately but it is the ease of an all-in-on-device. Technology is supposed to make our lives easier, and separate purchases are not doing that. There are a world of possibilities with technology and travel, and I think it goes behind a battery.

5. I feel like this suitcase is an example of we have the technology to do something so let’s just do it, without thinking about practicality of it. I see a few problems with this implementation of a charging device in a suitcase. Firstly, is it only a carry-on size bag or is it also a checked bag size? Because if it’s a checked bag size I would wonder what the use of a charger implemented in it purpose would be. You only have been in contact with a checked bag for the short period of time from your car to baggage and then from the pick-up location to your car. This timeframe is not a realistic amount of time to get any meaningful chare. So, I will be focusing on the carry-on aspect, as the checked baggage I would not see any real practicality for.
    The cheapest variety for the carry-on size bag is $380 ($460 originally but on sale). For reference a similar size and design suit case cost about $175.
    The Practicality of this bag shares common problems with its full-sized companion. For all intent and purposes this is a bag with a usb port on the outside of it and power bank on the inside. So, the idea is that you can charge you devices when you travel. Most travel time falls in 3 categories: sitting waiting for your plain, sitting on your plane, or waiting in line for TSA checks. When you are sitting in the lounge area waiting for your plane there is a copious number of outlets around you so I can’t imagine that is why you’d buy it. Next there is when you’re on the plain. Well it’s a carry on sized bag which means on most airliners it will be stored overhead and therefore out of reach for the owner. Not to mention the fact that most airline have outlets. Waiting in line for the TSA could pose a time where you could get a meaningful charge in some situations.
    To wrap things up I struggle to find the need for a device like this except perhaps for a niche audience. And even then, I see no difference in buying a $175 bag and throwing a $25 battery bank in it.
    Perhaps I’m missing something. Please let me know!