To Bezel or Not to Bezel?

Recently, Samsung unveiled its new line of Galaxy S10s. One of the biggest boasts of the new phone is its bezel-less edge to edge screen. Or at least seemingly so. On the upper right hand corner of the screen, almost like a hole punch, sits the front facing camera of the phone. Now, while its not immediately intrusive – mostly thanks to wallpapers and software settings- it does kind of just sit there. It is very likely that this new “hole punch” camera in the middle of the screen won’t operate well with many app interfaces, and these will need to fixed in updates later on.

As a Samsung user for the last 5 years, I have to say, I am a little disappointed by this new look. Samsung’s main clap-back to the Iphone for the last two years was by being relatively notch-less. It made quite a few ads making fun of the Iphone X’s notch and how in the way  of the screen it was. It seems almost hypocritical now that there is a literal hole on the screen, getting in the way of what you are supposed to be seeing. I haven’t tried the phone out myself, but I think i prefer the look of the s9. While it did have a small bezel, its quite hard to notice and doesn’t obstruct the screen in any way.

If Samsung truly wanted to go bezel-less, I believe the way to go would have been motorized front facing cameras. Much like the Vivo Nex S and the Oppo Find X. The motorized front camera is almost seamless with the phone, but it also adds an almost futuristic aspect to it. I enjoyed using such phones’ front facing cameras as they felt like something out of Star Trek. Why Samsung decided to go with the hole punch instead is beyond me.

Samsung Galaxy S10 family

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/bezel-less-phone-comparison/