Are Robots Trying to Steal Our Jobs?

By: Tyler Miller tmm6228

While artificial intelligence is slowly becoming more relevant in people’s lives, some are worried they will lose their jobs to these robots. This may somewhat unrealistic because it is incredibly unlikely that America will soon function without humans perform their jobs. Yet people continue their paranoia about these robots performing human tasks.

For example, grocery stores are utilizing artificial intelligence in their stores. Instead of asking an employee where to find foods, people go up to the robot and type in the food they’re looking for. They sometimes are even able to talk to it!

As of today, there are three major threats to existing jobs: globalization, aging societies, and digitalization. These are the only reason that jobs have been eliminated. However, way more jobs have been created.

Humans have been working with technology and robots as opposed to against it. These new machines and technology cannot be operated to work independently so they need help from humans. This mass hysteria is ultimately blind paranoia. People are looking at this the wrong way. Instead of seeing that humans and robots are working together, they are too focused on the slim chance that they will lose their jobs to this technology.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/no-robots-are-not-coming-for-your-jobs/2019/04/28/158c73e0-6834-11e9-8985-4cf30147bdca_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cf09b199ca79

6 thoughts on “Are Robots Trying to Steal Our Jobs?

1. When it comes to certain jobs, it may be more beneficial to have artificial intelligence or even an automated system than a human worker. When we take a look at it, at first it wouldn’t really make sense as we are taking away from human workers and causing more unemployment when we have been trying to decrease that rate. As we go into more depth, by replacing these human workers with robotic ones, these companies or business will be saving a lot more money and be able to apply it to other needs that may need more attention. Other forms of jobs will also open up as if a problem ever occurs with these robots, they will need fixing, which will open up plenty of opportunities for robotic engineering positions at all sorts of organizations. Not saying it is a bad thing but may be a smarter approach which could mean more money for organizations when it comes to only employing a few engineers rather than a few dozen or even hundreds of human workers.

When it comes to the thought of being replaced, there are many jobs out there that will still need human interaction rather than robotics. With the article I have posted, it shows 7 fields that shouldn’t and probably won’t be replaced by robots. By having humans in these positions, it will make for a much easier life in certain aspects rather than having a robot who wouldn’t be able to understand quite as well as humans do. There may come a time where a majority of jobs will be held by robots, but there will always be a handful of jobs that cannot be replaced and should be replaced by robots.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2018/08/06/7-job-skills-of-the-future-that-ais-and-robots-cant-do-better-than-humans/#70a48d0c6c2e

2. I mistakenly submitted my first comment too soon and I am unable to edit it. I still believe that it is absolutely one of the most controversial issues. It is true that these innovations are making our lives easier and in a ways “taking away our jobs.” This progression of technology is quite inevitable. I don’t think that the development of robots will lead to higher unemployment, however. I believe that there will at least be people having to make and control these things and in turn, also develop innovations to progress even further past robots. These types of innovations will ultimately help humans in ghe sense that they won’t have to do the types of jobs that are dangerous in more senses than one. Physically or mentally tedious. The article I found articulated these types of benefits well. In my opinions, robotics are not a thing to be feared. Innovation such as this has never left people out of jobs before and is only being done to make our lives even easier. I welcome this. Like the original poster said, it’s evident that humans work alongside robots and this will propel us even further into the future.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.yp.scmp.com/news/features/article/108948/why-it-might-actually-be-good-thing-robots-are-taking-over-human-jobs%3famp=1

3. Although I believe that you took an interesting and positive take on this manner, I must challenge a few of the points you have made in your argument. While I do agree that the development of technology and robots is revolutionary, I fear that the impact robots could have on working Americans is harmful for the economy and job industry as a whole. I found a recent article published by Forbes, that discussed the fact that Walmart is in the process of deploying thousands of robots to take over jobs in their store and company. In my personal opinion, this is especially dangerous due to the fact that a large portion of these workers may not have educational degrees to bounce to another job quickly. With this being said, many workers could face periods of unemployment. Another alarming statement I read within the article said that by 2030, “800 million workers worldwide will be adversely impacted and could lose their jobs to robots and automation”. This is crazy to consider that in the short span of almost 10 years, robots could replace many human tasks we perform to make a living and survive. While I do think that the innovation and advancement in technology occurring in the world today is incredible, I believe that we must also face the reality of the situation at hand. Artificial Intelligence is a wonderful recourse, but where is it that we cross the line beyond innovation and just plain laziness?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2019/04/15/walmart-is-deploying-thousands-of-robots-to-replace-human-workers-what-this-means-for-your-job/#75d9564351d8

4. I believe the developments of robots are necessary and humans should be focused on the developments in the future. Many of us worry that robots will replace humans in the future, and most people will be unemployed. However, I think it’s wrong if we just stop the developments of technology. The purpose of new technology is to make life more convenient; we should not just slow ourselves because of the unemployment rate.
    And the unemployment rate should never be concerned since society is always changing. In the past, many and many new technologies have been invented, such as the steam engine, internal combustion engine, and electric generator. With these inventions, society was changed totally. However, people didn’t prevent these technologies, and today, we seem to be familiar with these developments. So, in my opinions, the problem of replacement by robots should not be worried, society and people will change to the right model to accept new technologies.

Source:https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2018/12/28/let-the-robots-take-over-how-the-future-of-ai-will-create-more-jobs/#2c007af53c6d

5. Humans have been using artificial intelligence to help make life easier. Jobs and everything are becoming more technical and robots are being used to make everything better. Amazon has introduced new shopping markets with auto scan intelligence that automatically checks out customers. That means no more cashiers. From this I think it’s reasonable to believe that one day we will get to a point that artificial intelligence will take over a majority of customer service positions.
    Honestly I think that more people should just learn to work these technologies and instead of people worrying about losing their jobs, people should be getting with the times and add the skill set of understanding technology.

https://www.moneycrashers.com/robots-automation-technology-replacing-jobs/