Volkswagen’s New Electric Vehicle

With the issues of climate change and massive amounts of greenhouse gases entering the atmosphere, Volkswagen decided to make an inexpensive electric car that many people can own. Starting at approximately $30,000 (O’Kane, theverge.com), this car is meant to be a transition into the future of non-gasoline vehicles.

There are also other benefits to this vehicle compared to other cars with a gasoline engine. O’Kane states that, “By removing the internal combustion engine…the automaker is able to extend the cabin forward, thus freeing up previously inaccessible space to the company’s designers” (O’Kane, theverge.com). This means that there is more room in the vehicle itself for the passengers.

With competitors such as Tesla, Volkswagen may have a difficult time selling this vehicle to a wide range of people around the globe. In my opinion, with the cheaper price as well, Volkswagen may have a serious competitor for other companies’ electric vehicles.

References used:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/9/20857217/volkswagen-vw-id3-electric-price-specs-mile-range-frankfurt-motor-show-2019

One thought on “Volkswagen’s New Electric Vehicle

1. In think you are missing a key point here. To me its obvious why Volkswagen is transitioning to electric cars. Its because they were caught in a scandal years ago for illegally tampering with their cars after they passed inspection. Because of that, the cars emissions into the air caused over 400% more pollution than what they passed inspection for. Volkswagen is now trying to repair their brand and reputation. According to BBC News, “the German car giant has since admitted cheating emissions tests in the US.”

Top help repair their image they created a new commercial admitting their mistake and wanting to apologize to the public. This way, not only do they say, “we understand why we are at fault”, but they also say “we are moving on from the situation”. I think electric cars are a positive addition however I see many flaws. The first is the accessibility to charging stations. If I am on route 80, it can be hundreds of miles before I can get to an electric charging station. They just aren’t available nearly as much. In addition, they are more likely to cost more. Tesla is currently the leader in electric cars, and even they are struggling financially.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-34324772