Spotify integrating with Facebook stories

Spotify has been known as solely a music streaming platform for users to listen to their favorite music, make and share playlists with their friends, and for artists, provide a medium where they can share their work. The new integration into Facebook will further this application into become more into the social media style. With this new integration, users will be able to create a Facebook story on Facebook, mark that they are listening to a particular song, and then whoever views that story has the option of moving over to the Spotify application in order to listen to the full song and see the full profile of the artist.

This integration is quite beneficial on both ends of the music marketing industry. A musician would be getting much more exposure, basically doubling their reach and audience, when these users post and in a way recommend their music to their Facebook friends. From the perspective of the user, it would make me more willing to share my playlists and music tastes with others. I am sure that most Facebook users have friends on the social media that they do not know super closely, and this integration can potentially contribute to new relationships forming. If I see that someone seems to have the same music taste as me, I would always be obligated to introduce myself and start up some conversation. I know from my personal experience, the partnership from Facebook and Spotify is much more smooth in the login and sharing aspect. When I am in Spotify, I am able to login, be instantly connected to my Facebook friends, and see the music of which they are listening.

However, after all these revelations, there are still concerns from Spotify users that Facebook would be watching their activity. Mark Zuckerberg has stated in previous interviews that he uses the cookies that are within Facebook’s programming in order to generate advertisements that cater to its users for more convenience when purchasing items online. This may be the case when the integration of Spotify and Facebook comes to fruition, but the way that I look at it is that it is necessary for Facebook to make profit as well as retain its users using that convenience factor and allow for that smooth transitions between social media.

Spotify Music Previews On Facebook Foreshadow A Potential Impact On Music Marketing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinwestcottgrant/2019/09/01/spotify-music-previews-on-facebook-foreshadow-a-potential-impact-on-music-marketing/#89087031c901

2 thoughts on “Spotify integrating with Facebook stories

1. The integration between Facebook and Spotify reminds me of the manipulation of search engines. Nowadays we spend tons of hours on the Internet every day, so it’s impossible for us to be completely immune to the information on the internet. Although some of the manipulations are just due to the data that the search engine is fed; but it is still true that the information is manipulating our mind in many aspects.

For example, voting. According to Christina Sukhgian Houle (2016), “online services such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing help voters find information on political candidates. But how do they influence election results? Users scanning search query results click on links in fairly predictable patterns, giving special emphasis to results at the top of the list and on the first page. ” Also, search engines like Google may spread inappropriate ideas, such as “climate change is a hoax, being gay is a sin, and the Sandy Hook mass shooting never happened.”(Christina, 2016)

In my opinion, related regulations and policies of controlling manipulation should definitely come out. Or, the search engine companies should try to optimize their algorithm to make sure that the search engine smart enough to filter more inappropriate words, lessening the bias, which is not only being responsible to all of the website viewers but also is being responsible to the whole society.

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/politics/elections/using-search-engines-impacts-voter-decisions/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/16/google-autocomplete-rightwing-bias-algorithm-political-propaganda

2. Spotify has been one of the most impressive and effective companies when it comes to integrating their platform with other platforms. Its connection with Facebook, Instagram, and even apps like Tinder are beneficial for both parties and are very useful for consumers of both products. Along with benefiting the companies and consumers, possibly the biggest benefactor is the artists who are now having their music advertised all over social media for free. This huge connection of networks connects so many facets of life that people interact with everyday so this feature will be very good.

Personally, this collaboration is one that I am pretty interested to see first hand. I look at a good many Facebook stories and to see what sort of music everyone is listening to is going to be a pretty cool way to find new music. Also, presenting this in such a way is a good way to connect more networks and grow relationships because a common interest in music is an easy way to start a conversation with someone on Facebook and meet new people.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/30/you-can-now-share-music-from-spotify-to-facebook-stories/