How Netflix Disrupted the DVD Renting Industry

As we were talking about disruptive innovation in class today, I found a very interesting article about how Netflix successfully disrupted the DVD rental business and changed the way we watch television and movies. It’s really interesting to me because I never even thought that Netflix could be part of the reason that the beloved movie rental store, Blockbuster, was put out of business. Similar to what we learned in class about music streaming services like Spotify overtaking the music buying industry, Netflix and other services did the same thing to Blockbuster, which changed the TV and movie business as we know it.

Like the music streaming industry, the movie and video industry evolved from paying each time you rent a video to now paying a subscription to watch as many movies and TV shows as you want. Netflix disrupted Blockbuster’s business by making their services more innovated and modernized, more accessible from anywhere, and gave personalized options to users that Blockbuster was never able to match. As talked about in the article I found, some of the keys that drove Netflix’s growth include technology, comfort, on-demand content, subscription and data driven content to fit personal preferences.

When I was taking my weekly trip to Blockbuster as a kid, I could have never predicted how much change there would be within this industry, and that Blockbuster would be completely gone in a few years. That makes me wonder about today’s streaming services, and the future of the industry. What’s the next disruptive innovation that is going to take over the already advanced services that we use every day? How long until there is a new disruptive innovation in the streaming industry?

source: https://www.businessmodelsinc.com/exponential-business-model/netflix/

28 thoughts on “How Netflix Disrupted the DVD Renting Industry

1. This is a really interesting topic about today’s disruptive innovation. Netflix has almost all old and new movies and TV series. My experience of using Netflix is too much advertisement unless you are a VIP member of it. Though there are ads, movies and TV series are comprehensive. I can find whatever I want on Netflix. Comparing to the DVD rental business, it indeed changed part of our lives. The way we watch movies and listen to music in the past is just going to a DVD store and rent it. I still have the experience of watching movies with my parents when I was a little child. Through the advancement of technology, some complex processes have been solved and eliminated. All movies can be collected on one website. People like the way which saves more time. Netflix is the choice. It is a general trend. We can refuse the thing which saves both time and money.

Source:
    https://www.businessmodelsinc.com/exponential-business-model/netflix/

2. The question that is asked is a very interesting question. Every year, I feel like a new type of streaming service comes out or the current streaming services are updated. It could only be a matter of time until a new and advanced streaming service comes out and disrupts an industry. Netflix is in company with Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and other popular services that feature people’s favorite shows and movies to watch. All of these services have effected DVD-selling businesses. One main reason is the digital aspect that other stores like Blockbuster could not adjust to. Music services and sporting services are also changing as time goes on. The rental options for blockbuster compared to a subscription with Netflix limits consumers to what they can watch. With Netflix, people can ‘binge’ watch shows without having to purchases each season. This is the innovative advantage that Netflix has.
    In the article below, the author states that Blockbuster at the time held all of the up to date DVD’s one could buy. The difference is that Netflix gives consumers a quicker and easier way of attaining these movies/shows. One advantage that Netflix has over all other services is the Netflix specials that is only through Netflix. These services will continue to grow in the future but it is unknown what will come out next and what will be a new disruptive innovation.

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/flowchart/2010/09/23/how-netflix-and-blockbuster-killed-blockbuster

3. As a little girl, one of my most memorable memories was going to BlockBuster with my family to pick a movie that we would all watch on Friday night. Looking back on it today, I do not think years later I would be watching movies and TV shows almost every night on my computer by using a subscription based method. I have mixed feelings about Netflix vs Blockbuster. I love the convience of Netflix and not having to go out and pick a movie in advanced but Block Buster was a fond childhood memory of mine. According to an article, Netflix peaked in 2018 at approximately $10 billion. Blockbuster peaked in 2004 and reported revenues of $5.9 billion. This statistic just shows that Netflix was almost double as popular as Blockbuster. To me, this is very interesting and I am curious to see how movies methods will change over the years.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/netflix-subscriber-peak-us-pwc-report-1203234190/

https://www.ibtimes.com/sad-end-blockbuster-video-onetime-5-billion-company-being-liquidated-competition-1496962

4. I like how you connected your blog to the class content, I feel like you helped me understand disruptive innovation in a different way. And I totally agree with your blog, that Netflix successfully disrupted the DVD and make both our movie and tv experience to be much better than we used to. I still remember when I was about 9, I was so hyped about our family getting a new DVD player, and I also remembered some old days me and my parents selecting DVD disk on the way home to make choice about movie night. I think they think that kills the DVD rent industry is not only the appearance of online tv shows but also the popularity of personal pc. And now, we don’t need to go out to buy DVDs, can just sit there and click the mouse. I will say is a good and bad thing, on one hand, the convenience Netflix brought to us saved us a lot of time and money to buy individual disks, on another hand, we are losing the interaction between friends’ families physically, face to face.

reference: https://thebottomline.as.ucsb.edu/2012/01/technology-is-destroying-the-quality-of-human-interaction

5. I find it very interesting that Netflix had such a disruptive effect on the movie rental industry I figured it would hurt cable TV the most. I can remember going to block busters as a kid with my parents and i can also remember being yelled at by my mom for forgetting a movie at home and having to pay the late fee. but i am not surprised Netflix disrupted blockbuster into bankruptcy considering the convince and low cost associated with the streaming service you get access to a plethora of movies and shows anywhere you can get internet access which block buster by far could not compete with. i am very interested to see what the next big thing is for movies and TV as more and moire people are so called cutting the cord and going to full on streaming services for there entertainment it will be interesting to see what new companies emerge and which ones die off from the shift.

6. I really enjoyed the post about disruptive innovation as well as class discussion. I am truly surprised that Netflix took a huge part of disruptive innovation. As reading this post, I thought of the time when I was young. Me and my friends used to go to video and dvd rental places and spend lots of time which movie or video to watch. However, nowadays we mostly use Hulu, Nexflix, Youtube, HBO and etc. As these of the new market create not only replacing with new trends instead of movie theatre or DVD shop but also destroying the old market. I do not personally think that this advancement is only causing negative effect but many other positive result. Like, Youtube or Netflix which provides personalized experience to the users. Decreases the process of watching something. I believe it is inevitable development situation that will lead out life more productive.

https://newatlas.com/home-entertainment/netflix-disruptive-streaming-hollywood-cinema-exhibition-war/

7. I enjoyed reading this post and discussing it in class as well. I find it fascinating how Netflix has not only taken over the DVD Renting Industry, but the movie theater industry, as well as cable providers as well. Netflix has changed the way that people watch TV and have the ability to access it anywhere at any time. Netflix also allows a customer to rewatch a show or movie over and over again, and has downloading capabilities that are revolutionizing the way that one is able to access the content they want to watch. According to this article, many customers have stopped using cable for good and purely use streaming services for their source of entertainment. Netflix as a company has also changed the way that they created their business model, allowing a certain level of personalization that cable does not offer. With features such as “recommended for you” and creating recommendations based on demographics, Netflix has created a model that is so unmatched even compared to other streaming services such as Hulu. Netflix has definitely changed the way that I use streaming services in comparison to other entertainment outlets such as cable.
    Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemorgan/2019/02/19/what-is-the-netflix-effect/#1008860d5640

8. I also found this topic very interesting because of how much streaming has taken over the entertainment industry for the most part. Ever since sites like Netflix have been around companies like blockbuster, went out of business completely, and Redbox have gotten less popular as a source of where people go to rent DVDs and other things. Nowadays people with, for example, Verizon can just go to on-demand and rent any movie they want for the most part and with Netflix or Hulu people can get hundreds of movies just with their subscription. Because of these streaming applications, the company blockbuster went completely bankrupt and had to close all of its stores across the country. It was sad because of how big of an impact blockbuster had on the renting business but it was inevitable as companies started streaming movies and people could watch these things from their phones and laptops whenever they wanted. It is very interesting to see how Netflix and now with the Disney plus channel will start to change cable TV in the future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/business/media/internet-kills-the-video-store.html

9. I completely agree that Netflix is a huge part of disruptive innovation, along with apple music, Spotify, hulu, amazon, etc. Advancing tech has ran some of the older, less advanced companies into bad business or completely out of business. I think that a disruptive innovation that is less talked about is what playstation and xbox have done to the game market. When I was younger, gamestop and best-buy were the best places to buy games. I dont think I have been in best-buy or gamestop in about 4-5 years. Playstation and xbox allow people to buy and download games from home and have the same deals that in-store retailers have. The convenience of having all games in one spot and not having to take up space with cases of discs or even losing the discs has made stores like gamestop less relevant.
    According to a cnbc article, gamestop shares have plummeted due to online sales and also there have been less sales of actual devices/softwares.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/shares-of-game-stop-plummet-on-reports-of-lost-sales.html

10. I totally agree with your point about how does Netflix disrupted the DVD renting industry in the recent years. We both share the memory as a child renting DVDs from renting company. It is astonishing how did those DVD renting companies all disappear in a few years. I use Netflix and I love the service they provide. It is amazing to know how many videos they provide. Netflix now offers over 1,500 TV shows and over 4,000 movies with its subscription, which is almost tripled comparing with the amount it has in 2010. It is no doubt that Netflix has put a lot of effort on diversifying their contents. Also, the stock price for Netflix is kept increasing in the recent years, which means that unlimited streaming service has become a trend.
    There are more and more companies started to provide unlimited streaming service with the subscription besides Netflix such as Spotify, YouTube Red, Apple TV. Although the contents may not be the most current, but it seems people rather choose streaming whatever they like with a fix price per month than purchasing each content separately.
    I can’t predict whether unlimited streaming service will consist in the future, but the disrupted innovation has definitely occurred. It is not totally a bad phenomenon. People has the right to choose the product they like, and competition is the driving force to improve.

Reference: https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-movie-catalog-size-has-gone-down-since-2010-2018-2

11. I think it is interesting how Netflix’s brand has changed over the past years. It is funny to think that even though the basis of the brand now is something that disrupted the DVD rental business, I think we should look more at how it was able to adapt. Early user of Netflix will remember that its starting platform was a DVD rental business. Customers were able to pick out of a selection of movies and have DVD’s sent to their homes to watch and then sent back to Netflix. Netflix really built themselves on the fact you did not need to leave your home to rent a DVD, which did in fact disrupt stores such as Blockbuster, which involved you going to the physical store.

After a few years is when Netflix was really seen as the company that disrupted the DVD rental industry. This is because they changed the basis of their brand and changed into a streaming platform with subscription and no longer providing the DVD rental. I think this shows how chasing a business plan can be an example of disruptive innovation.

As for what innovation will cause a disruption in the streaming industry next, I do not know. Maybe we will see a business plan sort of disruptive innovation from Netflix’s competitors such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and YouTube, or even see if Netflix creates another disruptive innovation to get ahead of their competition.

Reference: https://www.marketing91.com/netflix-competitor-analysis/

12. I agree, it is remarkable how Netflix so quickly disrupted and destroyed the DVD rental system. Going to RedBox and Blockbuster already seemed convenient, but why would anybody leave their house to get a movie when they don’t have to? It does not surprise me that Netflix so successfully took over the business of movie rentals because it began as a very cheap service that made it worth not leaving your house for a movie. I think that Netflix will soon run movie theaters out of business. Many movies made today are “Netflix movies” and do not ever appear in theaters, only on Netflix. At first these movies were cheaply made with not so famous actors, but now actors such as Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston are taking part in Netflix movies, which leads me to believe that movie theaters will be non-existent in the next 20 or so years.
    The only thing holding back Netflix is many TV stations such as ABC are taking back their rights to shows such as FRIENDS and using their own streaming service instead to try and compete with Netflix. This could pose as serious threat to Netflix and create major. competition.

13. Because of the fast development of the internet speed, people can watch movies and tv series online using platforms like Netflix or Hulu. As a result, the traditional DVD renting industry has been interrupted in a negative way. I still remember when I was a kid, I used to buy DVDs from a local shop and watch them at home. But sometimes I would find the DVDs that I bought were not as interesting as I thought they would be so that I need to return them. Now, with Netflix, I do not need to go all the way to DVD shops, I can watch all kinds of movies and series on any kinds of smart devices, which is much more convenient than renting DVDs. Also, Netflix has the AI-powered algorithm which recommend movies and series that are similar to what you like. By doing this, Netflix provides a personalized experience to its users. Unlike traditional DVD rental companies, Netflix started to make their own shows (Stranger Things, Narcos…) to attract more users and keep them subscribing.
    source: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nicolenguyen/netflix-recommendation-algorithm-explained-binge-watching

14. I find this topic to be very interesting because it is often something I disregard. Compared to Blockbuster, Netflix is an extremely convenient, user friendly service that satisfies the needs of all individuals on a daily basis. An article from Forbes states the success rate of Netflix continues to increase by 10% a year and is now home to about 59 million subscribers in just the United States. Within this article on Forbes, it continues to mention how Netflix is continuously changing how consumers view content by providing its services on various devices, updating internet business models by relying on strictly the internet to share its service worldwide, and impacting the film and tv industry by putting many competitors out of business.

Netflix has done an extraordinary job by displaying disruptive innovation by not only creating a new market but also destroying existing markets. With technology rapidly increasing, consumers should continue to expect the unexpected because it is inevitable to predict what the film and tv industry will be like in the future.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemorgan/2019/02/19/what-is-the-netflix-effect/#12779b756409

15. In general, the elimination of DVDs is not only the rise of online media such as Nerflix, but the inevitable result of technological development. Nowadays, the playback terminals of various media are facing the problem of becoming smaller. In order to allow people to enjoy this service anytime and anywhere, businesses have to make mobile devices such as computers smaller. Until the end, they can only give up the DVD drive. But today, when the network speed is so fast, storage devices like CDs are no longer able to play its role. In 1998, DVD players with strong search functions had more than 4,000 RMB. Today, you only need more than 200 RMB to get a DVD player. The equivalent of US dollars is about 30 bucks. In the past 10 years, the price of DVD players has been nearly 20 times different. The DVD player that was high in the cloud 10 years ago has fallen to the bottom today.
    Especially in today’s 5G era, the role of DVD is even smaller. The arrival of 5G technology allows us to download a Blu-ray movie in just a few seconds. In contrast, DVDs seem to be useless. So being eliminated is the ultimate fate of the DVD. We don’t have to regret it, it also fills us a wonderful time on the way to our scientific and technological progress.

http://www.newhua.com/2012/1117/184478.shtml

16. In general, the elimination of DVDs is not only the rise of online media such as Nerflix, but the inevitable result of technological development. Nowadays, the playback terminals of various media are facing the problem of becoming smaller. In order to allow people to enjoy this service anytime and anywhere, businesses have to make mobile devices such as computers smaller. Until the end, they can only give up the DVD drive. But today, when the network speed is so fast, storage devices like CDs are no longer able to play its role. In 1998, DVD players with strong search functions had more than 4,000 RMB. Today, you only need more than 200 RMB to get a DVD player. The equivalent of US dollars is about 30 bucks. In the past 10 years, the price of DVD players has been nearly 20 times different. The DVD player that was high in the cloud 10 years ago has fallen to the bottom today.

17. This article was very interesting to me because I have a lot of memories from my childhood going to my local Blockbuster. I remember how exciting it was to go and browse through all of the movies and pick out the one I wanted to get that week. However, I am also a big Netflix lover. The convenience and personalization of the site makes it super easy to watch a variety of shows and movies. It wasn’t until we discussed disruptive technology that I realized that Netflix was one of the primary reason that Blockbuster was put out of business.
    Netflix is the perfect example of a disruptive technology, as it can be described as a technology that challenged existing business models of industry leaders. Netflix originally went after customers that Blockbuster overlooked. Netflix offered a more personalized and convenient experience and continued to advance their technologies. Eventually there was no need for Blockbuster, as Netflix offered a cheaper and more innovated experience.

Reference: https://medium.com/datadriveninvestor/why-uber-isnt-disruptive-but-netflix-is-disruptive-innovation-explained-198d250f4db0

18. Netflix truly changed the way we watch movies and television. There is a reason why it and blockbuster are overused as example of how refusing to change can cost you and how innovation is always possible. Now almost ready to enter 2020 the streaming services are changing and innovating again. Everyone saw Netflix’s success and now they want in. Netflix has lost the television shows that people signed up for and now are making their own shows and movies. Now with Hulu, Amazon, Disney, NBC, and others are cutting in or are attempting to cut into what Netflix had. According to an article by Andrew Heinzman “… In 2008 Netflix signed a 20 million dollar contract with Starz and gained 2,500 shows and movies from the deal, including hit titles like Ratatouille and Spiderman 3. But just last month, Netflix had to cough up $100 million for a single TV show, Friends…”. There is now competition and a lot of it. The question is now are the days of only needing one subscription to access most of the shows you want to watch or do we now have to accept that we must have multiple to get to the shows and movies we want to see.

Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/402533/streaming-services-are-beginning-to-look-like-cable-companies/

19. Netflix is a prime example of how disruptive innovation can take out even the most successful companies such as Blockbuster. I think most consumers today value efficiency and comfort. In order to get movies in the past, you had to drive out to a store, search for it, stand in the line to buy it, and then drive back home. If you rented it, you had to bring it back within the day or two. Another company that does this is Redbox. Netflix disrupted both Redbox and Blockbuster by using technology to make the retrieval of movies seamless. No more do people have to waste time going through the process of shopping in person for the movies they want. In as few as three clicks, consumers are able to watch any movie they desire. The world is moving towards automatization. Making processes easier with the integration of technology. If you identified a problem and came up with a solution that will make it more efficient, you can be the next disruptive innovation like Netflix.

20. Compared to traditional cable TV, Netflix offers a better viewing experience, In addition to the vast amount of content, Netflix allows users to watch content anytime, anywhere. Netflix is ​​more likely to gather a large user base, and continue to market new services to users, which has given Netflix more advantages in the competition. For Netflix, the next big opportunity is through technology, no matter VR, AR, or other new viewing technology and equipment that can subvert physical space, it needs a huge user scale and Data to support, and this is the advantage of Netflix.

21. Your post is very interesting and the disruptive innovation is exactly what’s happening right now. As we discuss in class, the last time for a lot of people downloads an album is 3 years ago. 75% of us listening to music by subscription of internet streaming. This example is similar to the example of Netflix disrupted the DVD renting industry. However, Netflix not only disrupts DVD renting industry, but also cinema and Hollywood. More and more companies like Netflix are producing their own movies and TV series, they break the monopoly of Hollywood, and the quality of movies made by these streaming service are really good. Netflix’s interest in not just share the market, they also want to get awards. They corporate with big-name filmmakers such as Coen brothers and Alfonso Cuaron to try to achieve their Oscar dream. The movie Roma won the awards of best cinematography, directing and foreign language film. I think this is an unavoidable trend that the streaming service will be more and more popular, the industries which are affected need to think about how to transform their business and find a way out.

22. Netflix is an example of disruptive innovation mentioned in class. Disruptive innovation is a process of changing that a small company creates a new business model to solve the lack of big companies. Before Netflix, people have no solution for missing one episode, so Netflix lets people can watch movies or series anytime, anywhere with small charges. I think that this is the reason that people prefer to choose Netflix than traditional media.

Next disruptive innovation is hard to predict because it needs technical support and creative ideas. In my opinion, if a new disruptive innovation makes people’s life more convenient and safer, it will become popular very soon. Netflix is an example that people only need to use one device to see any videos anytime instead of using a large machine and waiting before television. However, some innovations can cause some problems such as additions or personality. For example, although Netflix helps people watch videos easily, more and more people, especially children, are additive to watch videos. Therefore, disruptive innovation brings benefits to people with some disadvantages.

https://inkspire.org/post/netflix-and-the-disruptive-innovation-of-entertainment/-L3z6YX6hxVb0kHxGM9P

23. This post, along with our discussion in class on Monday, really got me thinking about the evolution of the DVD industry. We live in a unique time where we grew up as kids with VHS, which we watched evolve into DVDs, and now both of these technologies are obsolete. The world of technology is constantly evolving and the way we stream video today may look completely different another 20 years from now.
    For example, even Netflix itself hardly resembles the Netflix that I remember using as a kid. I remember being amazed that you could pick out your favorite movie from a machine outside of the grocery store and then return it the next day. Then I became even more excited when my dad would allow me to pick out a movie online and it was shipped to me the next week. Now, Netflix still offers DVD shipments, but the vast majority of their business is online streaming.
    Netflix completely revolutionized the movie and streaming industry. Now there are many online streaming services, such as Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney +. Netflix has expanded from vending machines to a production company themselves. They now have Netflix original series and TV shows and have recently announced the opening of a brand new Europe, Middle East, and Africa headquarters. With all this expansion, what is next for the streaming industry? In the future we may even look back at the streaming of today and laugh!

https://dvd.netflix.com/HowItWorks
    https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/netflix-new-emea-headquarters-amsterdam-european-expansion-1203386677/

24. In this generation, Netflix came in and sell everyone’s attention because they had new to old movies to TV shows and also had they own TV/movie creation that people were interested in.Now and days being to have something for a longer portion is what people look forward to , Netflix has a promotion where they allow you to pay a certain amount a month ($16) watching anything you want going from kids to adults and fro funny movies to romantic to scary movies. another thing Netflix give you a free 30 day trail to allow you to see how Netflix works and to see if you are very interested in it. This is a good idea because you can cancel anytime with out paying money and if you do become very interested you would be able to start during the trail or after. As in DVD renting you only have a certain amount of days till return the DVD and if you don’t they set you a late fee which cost more money as it is. In my opinion Netflix is just the better way because it has different various that this new generation would have a net standard for. Everything revolves around the internet and technology and this is the best way to get kids and adults involved more because they seek for creations that involve things like that.

25. In this generation, Netflix came in and sell everyone’s attention because they had new to old movies to TV shows and also had they own TV/movie creation that people were interested in.Now and days being to have something for a longer portion is what people look forward to , Netflix has a promotion where they allow you to pay a certain amount a month ($16) watching anything you want going from kids to adults and fro funny movies to romantic to scary movies. another thing Netflix give you a free 30 day trail to allow you to see how Netflix works and to see if you are very interested in it. This is a good idea because you can cancel anytime with out paying money and if you do become very interested you would be able to start during the trail or after. As in DVD renting you only have a certain amount of days till return the DVD and if you don’t they set you a late fee which cost more money as it is. In my opinion Netflix is just the better way because it has different various that this new generation would have a net standard for. Everything revolves around the internet and technology and this is the best way to get kids and adults involved more because they seek for that technology ideas.

26. After reading this article on the disruptive innovation of Netflix, I found two other articles that discuss some of the more prominent examples of disruptive innovation in recent years.

First, the ability of Uber to disrupt the taxi industry. According the “The Entrepreneur,” Uber was able to capitalize on a business model focusing on three easy concepts: ease of use, usefulness, and art (Koch, 2017). Armed with these competencies, the company was able to grow at an unprecedented rate in its early years and eventually dominate the marketplace. The concept of Uber is extremely simple, and low overhead costs make this business model sustainable. However, they certainly face threats of competitors because their service provided remains easily to be replicated.

Another example of recent disruptive innovation is Airbnb. Airbnb operates on a simplistic platform that allows users to enjoy cheap pricing on lodging. Airbnb’s model makes the market much more competitively priced (than hotels for example) and has been able to capture a large portion of the market as a result. In fact, Forbes reports that in ten cities where Airbnb is heavily used, hotels’ reservations dropped an average of 1.3% and hotel revenue decreased by up to 1.5% (Gerdeman, 2018). Similar to Uber, Airbnb is seeing tremendous growth while continuing to provide consumers alternatives to hotel’s rate-setting and flexibility.

Sources: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/286683
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2018/02/27/the-airbnb-effect-cheaper-rooms-for-travelers-less-revenue-for-hotels/#6a1f3a4bd672

27. As I learned in class, this occurrence is known as disruptive innovation. Disruptive innovation is basically when an innovation makes an original product or service suffer in business and usually go completely out of business. In addition to Netflix, there have been many other movie/video streaming subscription services that have risen in popularity over the past ten years. Other services such as Hulu, Amazon prime video, HBO, FX, and cable on demand/ on the go services are all essentially different versions of Netflix. Going off of this, the market for Netflix has remained stable. However, it has raised bidding costs and programming costs. There is also a pressure to have newer content that people will enjoy; not just the same content they have had over the years. Netflix can keep itself as the dominant subscription service in the long run if it simply keeps its users happy with the content provided.
    References: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/051215/who-are-netflixs-main-competitors-nflx.asp

28. I enjoyed reading this post and discussing this in class as well. It was interesting to learn how Netflix was a products that disrupted the DVD industry. I as well remember walking into the super market with my family and there would be a block buster movie vending machine dispenser and getting so excited to pick up a movie. If you think about the basics though, you could see why Netflix would be such a disruptive part as you can sign up for a subscription and easily access movies from home, as people now are becoming much more lazy.

When we discussed this in class I first thought about how Apple took over the mobile devices industry. In an article I found it discusses how Apple did this. They were the first mobile phone to be all touch screen. Mobile phones used to be flip phones or with a keyboard yet Apple was the first to change this and make a phone with a touch screen that was big and easily accessible. Apple iphones also gave birth to the App Store as well as itunes.

Regarding Netflix disrupting the DVD industry and the question posed of what will be next, I think that Amazon will be taking over. Amazon is already taking over so many other industries and shutting businesses down (mostly in store ones). Now since everything is so easily available online and any time that someone wants, customers will chose Amazon over driving to a store to get the product that they would want. Amazon prime movie service is right behind Netflix at number three most popular streaming video network. I think that as Amazon keeps expanding, they will soon be disruptive in multiple industries, one of these including movie services like Netflix.

https://www.itproportal.com/features/how-apples-iphone-has-changed-the-mobile-industry/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aalsin/2018/07/19/the-future-of-media-disruptions-revolutions-and-the-quest-for-distribution/#7a56b4a760b9