How Camera Brands Are Keeping Pace with Smartphones

Continuous improvements with phone features have put a lot of stress and emphasis on what camera brands will do to keep up with market competition. Companies like Nikon are taking strategies and adopting certain features that caused people to prefer smartphones over particular cameras. For instance, Apple has made large enhancements with their features and makes the camera so accessible to whoever uses it. Nikon has introduced one of their products known as the Nikon Z 50 which has very similar effects and features to that of the “Night Mode” in relation to Apple and their IPhone’s.

In my opinion, smartphones have amazing effects and features when it comes to capturing photography. However, i would never expect for companies such as Nikon to stop selling products in results to matching excellent competition. For myself, I have never purchased cameras and have always taken pictures with my IPhone, Android, or whatever phone I possessed at the time. Camera brands want to draw attention from the younger generation in hopes that they will purchase their equipment. However, I disagree and feel as if smartphones do not have any competition when it comes to their camera features, lens, and effects.

Refence: wsj.com/how-camera-brands-are-keeping-pace-with-smartphones-11573841501

12 thoughts on “How Camera Brands Are Keeping Pace with Smartphones

1. Evidentially, the camera industry is in serious trouble due to advances in smartphone technology. Companies such as Apple have created camera features that are better than those of most renowned Camera companies such as Canon and Nikon. For instance, iPhone 11 Pro comes with Deep Fusion features, which utilizes Artificial intelligence to improve the quality of a photo. Such features can rarely be provided within the traditional camera framework. Nonetheless, camera companies such as Nikon have been trying to make certain improvements to their cameras in efforts to compete with the smartphone industry and make old-school photography more relevant. For instance, Fuji’s instax mini Liplay allows users to save photos as digital files and also print them as snapshots. Similarly, Sony, which has been the only company continuing to make a profit in the camera market, has introduced new technologies in relation to the lens. However, sales have not improved, showing that people are trusting smartphones more to deliver the desired quality.
    The successful launch of GoPro in 2014 appeared to create a new vision for the industry, but even then, the company growth appears to be stagnant. No simple remedy exists for the Camera industry. Attempts to revive old-school photography appears futile, and they must start to explore alternatives that make them more reliant in the market. Sony is rediscovering strengths in imaging sensors, helping some of the best copies ad scans. Other companies may have to pursue similar options. Hence, while cameras may continue to be useful, particularly for artists and commercial purposes, they are unlikely to remain relevant for the mass market any longer.

external resources:
    Duncan, Allison. How Camera Brands Are Keeping Pace with Smartphones. The Wall Street Journal. 15 Nov. 2019. https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-camera-brands-are-keeping-pace-with-smartphones-11573841501

Hornyak, Tim. How Canon, Nikon and other Japanese camera companies are fighting for survival in the Smartphone era. CNBC. 28 Jul. 2019, https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/26/japanese-camera-companies-fight-for-survival-in-the-smartphone-era.html

2. Photography is not just about pressing the shutter, it also includes the post-process, the smartphone has changed all aspects of photography, including photography, post-production, viewing, etc. In an era of the smartphone, the ultimate consumer terminal for most pictures is not art exhibitions, not prints, but mobile phone screens, social media such as ins and snap chat. This means that the image quality and pixel resolution become less important. Judging a good photo is increasingly dependent on some soft aesthetic criteria rather than hard technical indicators. I believe that smartphones will inevitably impact the DSLR market, but the current impact is limited.

https://photographylife.com/are-smartphones-threatening-the-camera-industry

3. Although many iPhones and other phones are coming out with models that put enhanced photography at the forefront, I disagree in that the actual camera brands, like Nikon, will NOT just stop selling products. I think iPhones developing better camera quality is an example of technology convergence. They are trying to eleimate the need to buy a seperate camera at all. And a lot of people, like myself, find that appealing. But, I don’t think this means that all of these camera brands are just going to fall off the face of the Earth. In fact, their advertisements are typically even aimed at younger audiences who want quick, easy camera accessibility. They target groups of people who want high quality photography or videography with one device that specializes in it.

Apple is making a very strategic move in updating the quality of their cameras, though. In the recent launch, they barely even touched on all of the other features of the new iPhone 11 like texting updates and apps – instead, only focusing on the cameras. This is smart because they identified what the iPhone was lacking in and put all of their time and effort into marketing a product that has the same qualities of a camera, but with even more normal phone features. I think Apple will definetly put pressure on the camera industry, but I dont think it will fully replace it – at least for a long time.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/15/apple-iphone-11-shows-transformation-to-camera-company.html

4. I feel like this issue of camera brands competing with smartphones is an issue of technology convergence. Smartphones combine so many different functions, including a camera, into one device. Because of this, people no longer feel the need to have a camera in addition to their smartphones if they are just taking everyday pictures. This is definitely an issue for camera brands, especially because the cameras on smartphones are so advanced now. However, if people are looking for extremely high quality pictures, then they will still by cameras from the major camera companies. Most people just use cameras to take daily pictures, so the majority of people only have the need for a smartphones with a built in camera. I think that this majority of people outweighs the smaller percentage of people that need professional grade cameras. For that reason, and because of the multi-functionality of smartphones, camera companies will suffer.

Source: https://photographylife.com/are-smartphones-threatening-the-camera-industry

5. I have always taken pictures with my iPhone as well, but I feel as though as excellent as iPhones may make their images seem with their camera I don’t think it’s all that great. I don’t think them adding 3 lenses could ever replace the effects you can get with a regular camera and natural good lighting. The camera is meant to be programmed to take the best quality of photos ,es while the iPhone is technology convergence meaning it has many things in one device which could mean it does not particularly excel at anything, but is proficient in most things. I wouldn’t say phones having cameras is destructive innovation, but it has impacted the camera business through the generations and the new models of phones that come out every year.

6. Despite the fact that phone cameras are incredible now I still feel as though they will always be distinct from quality cameras. For everyday people, a phone camera might make sense, but there’s no way professionals will be able to make do with it. I can see how all of these companies are suffering now and it will be interesting to follow for the future.

The one big thing I wonder about with these new phone cameras is how much people actually use them. Personally a nice camera is welcome, but in no way is it my primary motivator. The cost of these phones keep increasing while the beautiful cameras could be a larger battery or other useful feature instead. If phone companies could make cheaper versions with an okay camera and everything else fully functional I believe they would do very well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-11-pro-review-cameras-are-worth-the-price-2019-10#overall-im-a-huge-fan-of-the-iphone-11-pro-it-feels-like-a-truly-worthy-upgrade-for-anyone-who-owns-an-iphone-x-or-any-iphone-prior-to-that-8

7. Currently, I feel that for professional level photography, traditional cameras and lenses still beat the cameras on our smartphones. However, now that the average person can easily take high quality photos, the need to buy a nice camera is no longer a priority. Camera purchases across the world has dropped significantly in the past decade. Another interesting aspect to the improvement of smartphone photography is photo editing. In the past, editing photos and making it look professional needed one to be proficient at digital editing software such as Adobe Photoshop. Without prior knowledge with these applications, it’s hard to edit photos and improve the quality of them. However, with numerous new applications that have built in filters and adjustments, anyone can create beautiful photos straight from their phone, without even needing to purchase other outside software. This kind of technology convergence is demonstrated with apps such as Adobe Lightroom, which basically simplifies the more complicated Photoshop, and allows users to adjust the color and quality of photos straight from their phones. As our smartphones become increasingly advanced, the need for other devices and software dwindles, which can be a convenience to average smartphone user, but troubling to the industries that the phone replaces.

Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/09/impact-smartphones-had-camera-industry/

8. I own a Nikon camera and used to use it often, however my recent purchase of the iphone 11 sees me using it a lot less. Apple made a major emphasis on improving the camera from the iphone XR to the iphone 11, and this is very evident when looking at photos taken by the 11. Not only is the quality crisper and clearer, but new features have been added such as dual lens wide mode, along with night mode that allows you to take clear pictures in the pitch black without even using the flash. Sure my Nikon takes great pictures, but it is so much easier to take photos that are almost just as good from a device that is in my pocket all day. I can completely understand wanting to use a Nikon or some other high end camera if you are a professional photographer, but as just a casual picture taker I would definitely opt for the iphone. The market for cameras has been decreasing every year, showing that the iphone wasn’t just a disruptive innovation for the telephone business, but for the camera business as well.

9. I agree that the phone industry has disrupted the camera industry. But, I believe people over estimate the impact that phones will have on camera companies in the near future. I can not envision a future where all of the photos in National Geographic are shot on an iPhone or all of the photos for magazines like Vogue are shot on Androids. In my opinion it wouldn’t be a realistic expectation of phone companies. There’s also the fact that the zoom on a phone’s camera can’t compete with the zoom on a traditional camera. In the article I read, as of right now there is no way to make the phone have a zoom quality that could rival a camera’s without making the phone bulkier. Also, if these new cameras were put in phones now, there would be no space for the rest of the technology needed in a phone as the camera components would take up a lot of space. As of right now, having phones that are smaller is a quality consumers care about so having a phone camera with a traditional camera’s quality isn’t feasible. Could you imagine the price of a phone if it was superior to a traditional camera?

Source: https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/277457-will-phones-soon-finish-off-the-camera-market

10. Phone cameras are the biggest competitors of DSLR’s since they are more compact and have a lot of bells and whistles. For this generation, it’s way better to have and own a phone camera rather than carrying a big bulky Nikon DSLR with you all the time.
    Phone cameras are the biggest example of disruptive innovation and I see that for the people of our generation, Nikon, Canon and other camera companies no longer satisfy common needs anymore.

11. The thing about the camera industry compared to the smartphone industry is that the smartphone industry has started competing with the camera business in the past 20-15 years. Why? Because of technology convergence. Since the primary selling point of the camera industry (the camera) is now embedded in smartphones, the two markets have become enemies. According to a separate article i read on this topic from “The Photographer”, they state that the increase in technology in smartphone cameras has taken the casual photographers away from traditional cameras with only one function. Resulting in the Camera market tanking. However, more serious photographers have resorted to older cameras from the 20th century as they provide an aesthetic that these newer cameras cannot provide. This technological convergence in the smartphone/camera industry has truly made a disruptive innovation in these two markets, even resulting in a demand for old cameras from the 1990’s.
    Article:
    https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/11/03/what-camera-companies-must-do-to-compete-with-phone-photography/

12. Smartphones have taken a lot of industries by storm. The more sales they get, the more money is poured into them to make them technological convergence powerhouses. Picture quality on iPhone (and similar) camera’s has grown exponentially in the past years. This has most definitely landed a huge blow to the professional camera market. Previously, an average consumer that simply wanted to take a nice picture had to purchase SOME form of a Nikon or Canon camera. Even if it wasn’t the best version, it was a version at least. Now however, the average consumer already has a camera of that caliber in their hands at all times, with all the convenience in the world attached to it.

While the average consumer has definitely moved away from these camera brands, it can also be argued that this “cheaper” intro to real photography could spark a movement towards more real photographers as well. One’s with a passion to not just document an event, but to create art with their photography. It is on this point that camera companies may actually capitalize, and maybe even embrace the smartphone movement to launch their own sales into the sky.

All that taken into account, there is still a lot of technology left to be integrated into smartphones, as we see each and every year. While this may be the case now, the camera industry could be facing an eventual upset if phone companies figure out a way to massively improve their quality. All in all, I’m sure we’ll see it all happen soon.