Virtual Travel Could Change the World – If it Gets off the Ground

Digital Teleportation has began to cross many minds but definitely does not exist yet. This idea of digital teleportation combines machines (similar to drones), virtual reality, and fast wireless networks. Digital Teleportation is trying to change the way people experience the world, obviously just better. Although digital teleportation is yet to exist, some similar forms are starting to appear such as combinations of virtual reality, augmented reality alongside the use of drones.

Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and the use of drones are major concepts that were discussed periodically throughout class. In my opinion, the idea of digital teleportation is awesome but I do believe that it will come with multiple negative effects. I think having a 360 view of the location of wherever you want to be is an amazing technological advancement that definitely did not exist a couple years back. Drones, I believe are only beneficial. They can be used for so many things such as safety/protection as well as monitoring and scaling places before actually going there.

Reference: wsj.com/articles/virtual-travel-could-change-the-worldif-it-gets-off-the-ground-11576162804?mod=foesummaries

One thought on “Virtual Travel Could Change the World – If it Gets off the Ground

1. This idea is incredibly cool, I’d never considered the possibilities that virtual reality and drones could unlock for the average citizen by the way of leisurely travel. However, I don’t think this kind of travel will be able to hold a match to real life experience for awhile yet. I’ve been looking online for examples of international virtual tour experiences, and have yet to be impressed by anything I’ve seen. Despite all of that, it speaks wonders of the advancements we’ve made technologically, because ten years ago, I would’ve laughed at this fairy-tale idea. Additionally, I do see many potential advantages in it’s current state, such as saving money and time on a trip. For some of these VR tours, you can see the Grand Canyon for just a couple bucks. Although it certainly won’t be as breathtaking as the real deal, it would be incredibly cheaper on the wallet, and save you days or weeks of travel time to take the VR route. And, like you said, these things could be used to get familiar with an area before you travel there in person, to allow you to hit the ground running once you arrive at your destination and save precious time getting your local bearings. I am so happy to have discovered this new trend, and can’t wait to see where it goes in the future.
    https://www.lifewire.com/virtual-reality-tourism-4129394