Virtue Reality Could Be Our Next Step to Solve the Mental Health Crisis

VR also stands for virtual reality is a simulated experience that can be similar from the real world. It doesn’t require much for people to have this sort of experience, as long as you have the headset, controller, plus some space, everyone can experience this virtual reality. I actually bought my first one last year and the experience it gave you was like no others. Everything is so real even though you know it only appearing in your headset.

Just like the article says, because of these amazingly real experiences, it can be a potential part for helping serious mental problems like PTSD and so on. Usually during a PTSD treatment, the doctor will ask the patient to imagine the traumatic experience. However, with the help with VR, instead of just imaging, it will be so much easier for patients to work with the treatment. Not only treating PTSD, VR technology can help so many other people with all kinds of mental problems. Perhaps, this VR technology works for some people and some don’t; but the idea behind it is by using technology to help people to feel better and be more positive.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/solrogers/2019/05/15/how-virtual-reality-can-help-the-global-mental-health-crisis/#ae4505c28f77

11 thoughts on “Virtue Reality Could Be Our Next Step to Solve the Mental Health Crisis

1. I know that VR is used for video game and fun activity, but I didn’t know that it can be used for helping others such as PTSD treatment. I found an article that gives more information about VR that help other traumatic patients. There are many different ways of VR therapies, and results that they overcome. One of the patients overcame acrophobia which is afraid of height, and the other overcame the fear of spider. Likewise, as VR (virtual Reality) shows screens as a real life, people can experience and simulate through it (practice to overcome their fear).
    I really think that using VR as a treatment method is good idea, and I hope that this technology helped more people in various way in the future.
    source:https://careersinpsychology.org/why-virtual-reality-transform-mental-health-treatment/

2. This technology is great! I read an article about how VR is helping veterans as well. I was curious to see how much this was costing but I couldn’t find consistent pricing. If the price is right, I think it would be great for everyone struggling with mental health to purchase a headset. I’m wondering what type of mental health disorder VR helps most with. For example, does it work better with PTSD compared to anxiety or depression. VR has been around for a long time, however with advancements in technology, VR is being used more and more and really helping out people with disorders. I think VR will only get better with more technological advancements and I’m excited to see what changes are made to further benefit individuals with mental health disorders.

https://americanhomefront.wunc.org/post/after-success-florida-use-virtual-reality-treat-ptsd-expanding

3. I have not heard of virtual reality being used to help people suffering from mental health issues until reading this post however now that I have read into it I think it could really be used to help people. I was first amazed how advancements in technology can be used to help people in so many different ways and was interested to learn more about this way. I read about how it could also help cut costs of treatments, and give patients high quality treatments.

My only question is has there been any problems when doing treatments like these? I have tried virtual reality before and it can seem pretty realistic. If someone is suffering from PTSD and they use VR to simulate a situation, I could foresee issues with it being too realistic and too much for a patient. I think if this technology is going to be used, professionals need to be trained very well since treatments could seem very realistic to a patient.

https://www.med-technews.com/news/five-ways-virtual-reality-is-transforming-mental-health/

4. In addition to VR helping with PTSD it might also be able to treat other types of mental disorders. It is now being tested to treat issues such as claustrophobia, depression, alcohol addiction, and eating disorders. The idea is that VR would allow patients to take part in “exposure therapy” in a safe environment that would let them experience the threats that they worry about on a daily basis, and help them to see that they really aren’t dangerous.
    I think that this is a very interesting use of Virtual Reality. In the past I have really only heard about it being used for gaming and recreational purposes, but seeing that it can help people who are suffering from mental illness is super cool.
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/virtual-reality-might-be-the-next-big-thing-for-mental-health/

5. Virtual Reality has become a major piece of technology in our current society. While it is usually used for video games for movie watching, I love how we are using these inventions to help patients. Another use of a VR for mental health patients is for social anxiety. The National Social Anxiety Center explains that patients can use the headset to practice putting themselves in typical social settings. The best part of the experience is that therapists can easily be removed from the situation if they feel too anxious (Rosen 2018)

Overall, I believe that using VR in a medical setting is great step in helping patients. Being able to prepare patients with social anxiety for upcoming events is definitely an amazing thing. So many students experience stress/anxiety for public speeches, career fairs, interviews, and more; and by being able to “practice” talking in front of others on a VR headset would be a great help.

Reference: https://nationalsocialanxietycenter.com/2018/01/18/using-virtual-reality-therapy-treat-social-anxiety/

6. Virtual reality has many benefits as a new upcoming technology. I have tried VR before and it was the coolest thing – it allows you to be transported into a whole new world which can give you real life experiences. Advancing some more technology, VR can be used for things like practice drivers test or experiencing different situations in the comfort of your own home. The opportunities with virtual reality are endless.

Although VR will allow us to have some amazing discoveries, it may harm a person’s mental health instead of helping it. With mental health treatments, such as Phobias and PTSD, the clinician must go through systematic desensitization with the patient -meaning that the patient must take slow but steady steps towards their fear or the situation that frightens them – the stimulus slowly stops affecting the patient and they can get over their fear. Virtual reality would make a patient with PTSD fully immersed into the situation they fear and that could cause them to gain more anxiety and have more harm to their mental health if they aren’t slowly brought up into it. VR is an amazing discovery, but it would cause more harm than good to a patients mental health – they need to experience real life treatments.

7. Virtual reality is still new to me, I have not had a chance to try it out. That made this post very unique to me, and allowed me to learn a bit more about virtual reality. Having the ability to create a 3-dimensional replica of a situation and making it seem real is very powerful. I read online that virtual reality has already been used for decades to treat mental anxieties and illnesses. However, in recent years major advancements in VR has been made, allowing more efficient therapy. It also touched on helping soldiers deal with PTSD, which is awesome news to hear. These men and women deserve the best, in order to ease illnesses they got overseas.

One issue with this is older generations who do not like technology may be hesitant to use it. Plus, it can give people motion sickness. In the near future I hope apps are developed and released to the public for download. That way, with the purchase of VR and individual can seek treatment in their own home on their own time schedule.
    Reference: https://influencedigest.com/psychology/can-virtual-reality-improve-mental-health/

8. Virtual Reality is something that I’ve always been interested in when it comes to games or just virtual reality experiences in general, I’ve always been so interested in how well the technology behind it is.

Although Virtual Reality may help some people in their mental health issues, I see it causing more problems medically than good. Some people tend to experience a lot of nausea and feel very dizzy after experiencing Virtual Reality whether if it’s during long sessions or short sessions, it caused a lot of issues for many people.

An example of this would be playing a horror game on VR, some people after playing those types of games now experience a lot of trauma and have more anxiety than before, or even get literally so sick from just riding a VR Roller Coaster, the point I’m trying to make is that these things apply to only some specific people and I believe that we need to further develop our current versions of Virtual Reality gear before using it for medical reasons.

9. Video game pops into my mind when I think about virtual reality. The idea of using virtual reality to cure and treat the PTSD or mentally ill patients have really stunned and surprised me. I’m pretty sure the usage of virtual reality may be convenient and cost-effective. According to the article that I have found gave an example of Vietnam combat veterans. By having a virtual reality treatment, the soldiers experienced a reduction in their mental symptoms. I was very glad that there are more methods to cure mental illness. And I hope the continuous development of technology would improve our lives and help many people. However, I am curious about this treatment: would it really help the patients in the long run? I’m not sure how this therapy would exactly work on patients, but wouldn’t they feel positive and comfortable only when they’re in virtual reality? What would happen if they come back to their real life?

https://www.verywellmind.com/virtual-reality-exposure-therapy-vret-2797340

10. Virtual Reality is becoming increasingly popular in the video game world, and that is where you will hear it mentioned more frequently. But this article, as well as many others, proves that it has purposeful uses in different aspects of life. As the article stated, I feel as if VR would be exceptionally good at helping out people with PTSD. According to an article published on the website, Psychology Today, VR is currently being used to help people in similar ways that exposure therapy is used, yielding similar results. This same article also mentions the treatment of PTSD by using virtual reality simulations to help simulate a real life environment in a controlled setting. Personally I believe that the concept behind this is very well thought out and can and will be successful for many cases of mental illness in the future.

Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/know-your-mind/201605/how-virtual-reality-could-transform-mental-health-treatment

11. I think this technology would be great. We are constantly hearing how technology has a bunch of negatives, but I foresee this being positive. Millions of people suffer from mental illness. Mental illness is extremely difficult to manage because it is all about the mind. If technology can help patients work to ease their struggles, I do not see how this aspect of technology can be harmful. It would have to be monitored case-by-case as this is not a broken arm that requires a cast, for example. Everybody deals with trauma differently, since you mentioned PTSD. Our own memory can be deceiving and often times we forget, especially in traumatic situations. If VR has the capability to present information to us, that could be helpful for those who are struggling with working through these issues. I am hopeful and excited to see how this technology progress into something helpful for so many people!