Americans deserve real 5G service

It took me a while to think about how to correctly address this issue, because as a foreigner, what I am seeing in the United States is making me really upset. Recently, The British officials announced that they may let Huawei provide 5G services in the UK, and intelligence officials also said they have the capacity to minimize cybersecurity risk to the minimum. It looks a bit sarcastic to me that while the U.S. government is rejecting Huawei’s 5G equipment because they think Huawei’s equipment might be associated with the Chinese government to spy on surveillance data, the UK official is making an effort in strengthening their cybersecurity rather than blaming the equipment.

To me, I acknowledge that when you talk about advance network technology like 5G service, cybersecurity is a serious topic to discuss. However, cybersecurity should not be an excuse to ban the implementation of such technology. it is wrong to link technology, the very thing that drives human society to involve, with politics, and national competition like what happened in the space race. Because that way, the original intention of technological advance is no longer pure, but to be corrupted as a tool for countries to compete with each other.

In my opinion, I think the U.S., as being the superpower of the world, should let its people have access and enjoy the best technology available in the world as well. But something really triggers me about this. AT&T actually change its signal display on your phone from 4G LTE to 5GE to fool you into believing that you are actually using 5G services in various location (eg. O’Hare international airport). I know this for sure because I transfer from O’Hare from winter break. Anyone who has a basic understanding of what 5G is would know it is fake 5G, and yet, it is still out there fooling people who have never read about 5G technology. With all due respect, I think Americans deserve much better than this

Source:

https://www.cnet.com/news/british-officials-expected-to-green-light-huawei-gear-for-5g/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/22/18277484/att-fake-5g-e-network-lte-study

3 thoughts on “Americans deserve real 5G service

1. While I understand your point regarding Americans deserving “better than this,” I think it is naive to think that “it is wrong to link technology, the very thing that drives human society to involve, with politics, and national competition.” Your reference to the Space Race is actually a perfect example of how conflict and competition between powerful forces like governments create some of the best technology humans have ever seen, even if those technologies were created by organizations that didn’t have altruistic intent to begin with. Another great example is how the internet started as a military project called ARPANET under the US Department of Defense, but is now a (mostly) decentralized method of communication across the world that has changed nearly everything about communication and information.

I agree with the comment above mine that talks about how new technology is being vetted before we connect it to virtually every mobile phone in our country. Also, just because Huawei is banned in the US doesn’t mean we won’t have 5G coverage. There are plenty of other networking hardware providers who will jump on the opportunity to supply the largest western market with brand new infrastructure. In fact, Verizon has rolled out high-band 5G in many major cities and T-Mobile just rolled out low-band 5G nationwide.

2. True 5G at the moment is very hard because signal interference is very strong and to have an infrastructure setup is very expensive. 4G LTE has speeds that extend for miles while 5G is dependent on building to building. ISPs and mobile networks are now selling 5G lite that still require the 5G capable device but lowers bandwidth with an extended range. This only gives the user a small increase in speed and wavelengths can travel faster. The race to 5G has always been somewhat inaccurate as the roll-out process is complicated. Companies have to choose either 5G millimeter-wave or true 5G but they can’t blatantly advertise 4G LTE as 5G like how AT&T does.

3. I agree that the implementation of 5G will improve and change many things in the tech world. The higher speeds and goal for a lower cost-per-bit are only positives for businesses and consumers alike. With that said, 5G should be looked into as it will open doors for many new things, but the reason that it is not allowed yet is because of safety and cybersecurity. You mention that that is not enough reason to ban this tech, but what happens when it is implemented and can be used to steal information that could be used to endanger US lives, identities, and private information? Many people would pay for that kind of information.

I think it is a good thing that the tech is not implemented without any deeper looks as to what it could do. If having slightly slower internet access while out and about is the cost for national security and the knowledge that my data is safe, then I am willing to pay that cost.